Inspired by Manakeesh, this Quick Focaccia Recipe with Za’atar Seasoning uses just 3 ingredients to create the most delicious savory side dish you’ll ever taste! Serve it with pasta, soup, salad, and more.
Why You’ll Love This Quick Focaccia Recipe
Who doesn’t love a good bread side dish? Whether it’s Garlic Caprese Bread, Olive Cheese Bread, or Homemade Garlic Bread with Spinach and Artichokes, we can never get enough! However, lately, we’ve been completely obsessed with this quick focaccia recipe. Here are just a few reasons why:
- It uses just 3 ingredients.
- You can bake it in less than 30 minutes.
- Topped with za’atar seasoning, it’s loaded with savory flavor.
- One batch makes 14-16 servings, meaning it’s perfect for feeding a crowd.
What Is Focaccia?
Focaccia, pronounced fo-kah-cha, is a type of flatbread that is similar to pizza dough. It comes in many different variations and flavors and can be made either sweet or savory. Focaccia is believed to have been created in the Liguira providence of Italy and is flattened down to be roughly ½-1 inch thick. Made with a base of olive oil, herbs, and cheese, the flatbread is believed to have been a precursor for modern-day pizza but is still enjoyed throughout the world on its own.
Ingredients You’ll Need
As mentioned, this quick focaccia recipe comes together with just 3 ingredients. Recipes don’t get any easier than that! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Frozen Dinner Rolls – We use Rhodes dinner rolls to form the base of this quick focaccia recipe, but any plain, slightly sweet frozen rolls will do.
- Za’atar Seasoning – A unique Middle Eastern spice blend, za’atar is savory with just a hint of heat and makes this recipe unbelievably tasty.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – This helps the seasoning stick to the bread, adds a rich flavor, and helps it become golden and crisp.
How to Make This Quick Focaccia Recipe
Thanks to the use of pre-made rolls, this focaccia comes together in a flash and requires no kneading. Here’s what to do:
- Proof the Rolls. Arrange the rolls in a baking dish, leaving space between each piece. Brush each roll with olive oil, and cover the baking sheet with saran wrap. Set it aside in a cool, dry place until the bread has doubled in size.
- Season. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and za’atar. Drizzle the mixture on top of the rolls. Then, use your fingers to press the dough down, creating indentions in the brad.
- Bake. Place the baking sheet in the oven, letting the focaccia bake until the bread is golden brown, and serve warm.
This quick focaccia recipe is scrumptious enough to enjoy on its own as a snack. However, it also pairs well with all your favorite main dishes for a filling meal! Some of our favorite pairings include:
- Moroccan Spicy Tomato Soup or Slow Cooker Moroccan Harira Soup
- Spicy Rigatoni Pasta, Easy Spicy
SpaghettiArrabbiata, and One Pot Mediterranean Orzo Pasta
- Warm Italian Pasta Salad, Lentil Salad, and Greek Salad
- Za’atar Chicken with Vegetables
- Baked Feta Salmon
How to Store
This quick focaccia recipe is best served right away while it’s still warm. However, if you happen to have leftovers or want to prepare it in advance, this focaccia can be placed in an airtight container and stored at room temperature for up to 2-3 days.
Or, for a longer-lasting option, flash-freeze the baked rolls by placing them on a baking sheet in the freezer until they’re solid. Then, transfer them to a sealable bag, squeeze out any excess air, and keep them frozen for up to 1 month.
To enjoy, simply heat your rolls in the oven either thawed or frozen until your desired temperature is reached. Just be careful to keep an eye on them so they don’t burn!
More Easy Focaccia Recipes
Looking for even more ways to enjoy focaccia? Try out some of these great recipes!
- Easy Focaccia Recipe with Tomatoes
- Slow Cooker Easy Focaccia Recipe
- No Knead Cheesy Focaccia Bread
- No Knead Focaccia Bread Art
Quick Focaccia Recipe with Za’atar Seasoning
- 14-16 Rhodes dinner rolls (frozen)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil + more for brushing
- 1/4 cup za’atar seasoning
- In a large buttered 13×9 baking dish, arrange 14-16 frozen dinner rolls, leaving approximately 1/2 inch space between each roll. Lightly brush each frozen roll with olive oil. Cover with saran wrap, and set aside to rise for 4-6 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Once the bread has risen and doubled in size, remove the saran wrap.
- In a bowl, whisk together the za’atar seasoning and olive oil. Drizzle the mixture on top of the rolls.
- Using fingertips, press indentions into the bread.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the bread is golden brown. Keep a close eye on it so as not to overbake!
- Serve warm.
- Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days.