Za’atar Chicken with Vegetables is an easy dinner the whole family will love! Made with simple ingredients, it’s loaded with flavor and nutrients for a healthy meal you can feel good about eating. Pair it with rice, pasta, and more!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Za’atar Chicken Recipe
There’s nothing better than a quick chicken recipe! Easy to make, they’re perfect for busy nights when you need to get dinner on the table in a pinch, and this za’atar chicken recipe is one of our faves! Here’s why:
- It’s high-protein and loaded with veggies and healthy fats.
- Baked to perfection, the chicken is always tender, juicy, and unbelievably flavorful.
- You can serve it with all your favorite sides for a filling dinner.
- Leftovers keep well to enjoy throughout the week.
What Is Za’atar?
A staple in our kitchen, za’atar is a Middle Eastern spice blend used in a wide variety of dishes throughout the Middle East. Every region has a slightly different take on the blend. However, it almost always contains a combination of earthy-tasting dried herbs such as oregano, thyme, and marjoram.
However, the one ingredient you’ll find in every Za’atar blend is sumac! A spice common to East Asia, Africa, and the southern region of North America, sumac comes from a plant related to the cashew plant and has a tangy, lemony flavor that makes Za’atar unbelievably delicious and unlike any other spice blend you’ll ever taste!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Featuring bold Mediterranean flavors, this Za’atar chicken with vegetables uses simple ingredients that combine to create an irresistible dish. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Vegetables – Tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, red onion, and garlic add color, flavor, and tons of nutrients for a well-rounded dinner.
- Olives – We use a combination of Kalamata and green olives, but feel free to use whatever you like best. Or, omit them completely if you aren’t a fan.
- Olive Oil – This helps caramelize the veggies and keep the chicken tender while also adding extra flavor and a boost of healthy fats.
- Spices – Salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, and za’atar create the best taste!
- Chicken – We use chicken breast as it has a neutral flavor that pairs well with the rest of the ingredients, but thighs would work as well.
- Garnish – Technically optional, this za’atar chicken recipe tastes even better when topped with feta, tahini, cucumber sauce, and hummus!
How to Make Za’atar Chicken with Vegetables
Full of color and flavor, this za’atar chicken recipe looks complicated, but it’s super quick and easy to make!
- Roast the Veggies. Arrange all the vegetables on a large baking dish, and sprinkle the seasonings and olive oil on top. Stir to combine and coat, and bake until the veggies are tender.
- Cook the Chicken. Season both sides of the chicken, and place it in a pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle olive oil on top, and cook on both sides until the internal temperature reaches 165° Fahrenheit.
- Serve. Plate the chicken and veggies, and garnish with feta, tahini, and hummus, if desired.
If you plan to make your za’atar chicken ahead of time, we recommend leaving off the extra garnishes until just before serving. However, once cooled, leftovers can be transferred to an airtight container and kept in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Or, freeze them for up to 3 months!
When you’re ready to eat, let the chicken and veggies thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, warm them up in the microwave or oven until your desired temperature has been reached.
If you prefer to follow a low-carb diet, this za’atar chicken with vegetables can be served on its own for a filling meal. However, it also pairs well with all your favorite sides like:
- One Pot Greek Couscous
- Vermicelli Rice
- Lemon Greek Potatoes
- Burrata with Roasted Tomatoes and Za’atar Pita
- No Knead Focaccia
Za’atar Chicken Common Questions
Sure! This recipe would also work well with a white fish like tilapia or cod.
We prefer to use chicken breasts because they easily take on the flavor of the rest of the ingredients. However, feel free to use whatever you like best.
Absolutely! Feel free to mix and match whatever vegetables you have on hand, and adjust the cooking time as needed.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
If you’re looking for more chicken dinner options the whole family will love, check out these recipes:
Za’atar Chicken with Vegetables
- 16 ounces on-the-vine cherry tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini chopped
- ½ cup bell peppers chopped
- ½ red onion chopped
- ½ cup Kalamata olives
- ½ cup green olives
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 chicken breasts sliced into 4 thin pieces
- Za’atar to taste
- Optional garnish: feta, tahini, cucumber sauce, hummus
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Add all the veggies and olives to a baking dish, and season with salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil, and stir to combine and coat. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt, pepper, and za’atar. Cook for 5-6 minutes per side or until the chicken reaches 165° Fahrenheit.
- Divide the chicken and veggies, and garnish with feta, tahini, cucumber sauce, and/or hummus, if desired.
- Store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.