Hummus and chicken taste amazing together. This baked chicken is low-carb, gluten-free, with an option to make it dairy-free!
This short cut recipe uses store bought hummus. A homemade hummus recipe would be fabulous, but if you do not have time, this is a great option.
Start off by seasoning the chicken breast, with cumin, sumac, salt and pepper. Making sure to season both sides. Arrange cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and kalamata olives around the chicken. Top the chicken with about 1-2 tablespoons of the hummus. Drizzle everything with some extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes of until cooked through. To serve, place the chicken on a platter. Spoon the roasted veggies over the chicken.
Table of Contents
Why does the baking time of this vary so much?
The size and thickness of the chicken is key to how long this will cook. If it is really thin slices of chicken it will be ready in less than 30 minutes, however, if you do not pound the chicken out and leave it as large pieces it could take up to 1 hour to bake.
Suggestions and tips:
We highly recommend that you slice the chicken down the center and pound it out thin. If you do not have a meat pounder, a heavy pot works too :).
Plain hummus works well, but if you want to take it up a notch, feel free to use any flavored hummus, such as a red pepper hummus.
Green olives are a great substitute for kalamata olives. We like to use whatever we have on hand. If you have a favorite veggie you’d like to toss in, feel free to do so.
For an even lower carb recipe, you can top the chicken with prepared tahini instead of the hummus. That is just as fabulous!
Hummus Baked Chicken
- 3-4 chicken breasts pounded thin
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 medium chopped zucchini
- 16 oz cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 2/3 cup your favorite store bought hummus
- 1/2 cup feta crumbles
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine all your spices and stir.
- In a large baking dish add the chicken breast. Rub half of the seasoning on the chicken, flip and add remaining seasoning on the chicken.
- arrange the tomatoes, zucchini, and olives around the chicken. Add 1-2 tablespoons of hummus on each pieces of chicken breast and spread. Drizzle olive oil over the whole dish. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the veggies. Top with feta cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked. To serve, spoon the vegetables over the chicken!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.