The perfect combination of sweet and salty, this Whipped Feta Recipe with Roasted Olives is a show-stopping appetizer that can’t be beat! Serve it with pita bread, cracker, veggies, and more.
Why We Love This Whipped Feta Recipe
If you haven’t tried a whipped feta recipe yet, you are missing out! The first time we tried it out we were amazed. Creamy, salty, sweet, and savory, it’s everything we never knew we needed. Basically, it was love at first bite, and we knew we had to make it for ourselves. The first version we made was this one with roasted tomatoes and chickpeas, and it was divine. So, we tested it again – this time with roasted olives, and the results were just as tasty! This recipe is:
- Quick to make.
- Perfect for feeding a crowd.
- Full of healthy fats.
- Easy to make ahead of time.
- And super delicious!
Ingredients You’ll Need
For this whipped feta recipe, we’re breaking the ingredients down into two parts. First, we’ll go over what you’ll need for the olive topping. Then, we’ll move on to the whipped feta itself.
For the Olive Topping
- Olives – We used a combination of green and kalamata olives, but feel free to use whatever you like best!
- Shallots – Slightly sweeter than onions, shallots enhance the natural flavors of the olives for an irresistibly savory taste.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Used to help crisp up and blister the olives, olive oil also enhances the natural flavors of the dish and adds a boost of healthy fats!
- Herbs and Spices – For a savory topping, we included thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper.
For the Whipped Feta
- Feta Cheese – Any feta you have on hand can be used. However, for the richest taste, we prefer full-fat versions.
- Sour Cream – This helps add extra creaminess and a bit of tang to the feta.
- Water or Milk – Some kind of liquid is essential to turning the feta from hard crumbles to a smooth dip. Water works great, but milk creates an extra indulgent appetizer.
- Cream Cheese – Perfect for an extra creamy texture, cream cheese also contributes just a hint of sweetness.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic cloves complement the shallot in the olive topping perfectly!
- Lemon – A squeeze of lemon cuts through some of the heaviness of the fats from the olives and oils, providing a refreshing taste.
- Honey – We love a bit of honey to create whipped feta that is both sweet and savory.
- Salt and Pepper – Use as much or as little as you’d like!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Like water or milk, olive oil helps thin out the recipe.
How to Make the Best Whipped Feta Recipe with Roasted Olives
Just like we did with the ingredients, we’re breaking down the instructions into two parts. Once prepared, they are easily combined to complete the dish! Here’s what to do:
How to RoasteOlives
- Preheat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Add all of the ingredients to a baking dish.
- Toss well.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
For the Whipped Feta
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor.
- Pulse until smooth and creamy.
Putting It All Together
- Spread the whipped feta on a large serving plate.
- Top with the roasted olives.
- Garnish with extra seasonings and a drizzle of olive oil.
One of our favorite appetizers, this whipped feta recipe pairs well with pretty much anything you can think of! Some of our favorite options include:
- Pita Chips
- Warm Pita Bread
- Naan Bread
- Sliced Veggies
This recipe is best served right away. However, if placed in an airtight container it will stay fresh for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
More Whipped Feta Recipes
- Sweet and spicy, this Feta Watermelon Salad is perfect for hot summer days.
- Spicy potatoes are paired with cool feta in this Whipped Feta with Batata Harra for an unbeatable side dish!
- Low-carb and high-flavor, this Whipped Feta Baked Chicken is pure perfection.
- This Whipped Feta Pizza is a quick weeknight dinner the whole family will love!
Whipped Feta Recipe with Roasted Olives
- 6 ounces pitted green olives
- 6 ounces pitted kalamata olives
- 3 sliced shallots
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teasppon salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons water or milk
- 8 ounces block cream cheese
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- extra virgin olive oil for garnish
- 2-5 cloves garlic
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a baking dish add both olives, olive oil, shallots, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper. Toss everything together. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Set aside to slightly cool.
- Whipped Feta Dip In the food processor add all your ingredients. Pulse until smooth. Spread the dip on a plate.
- Top with roasted olives. Garnish with an extra drizzle of and extra virgin olive oil!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.