This whipped feta watermelon salad recipe is made with simple refreshing ingredients ideal for hot summer days! Feta cheese, watermelon, honey, and chili flakes combine to create the perfect balance of sweet and spicy flavors! Serve it as an appetizer or main dish.
Why We Love this Watermelon Mint Salad
Is there anything better than fresh juicy watermelon on a summer’s day? It’s one of our favorite fruits! Not only is it delicious but it’s so versatile, too! It always reminds us of the summers we spent in Egypt when our entire families would snack on feta cheese (referred to as Domiati cheese or Ginba Beyda) with watermelon. A classic dish, it’s meant to cool you down and taste refreshing, and it always brings back fond memories!
So, we decided to make our own spin on the dish, and created this watermelon salad recipe! Similar in taste and texture, it comes together with simple, fresh ingredients for a light watermelon mint salad perfect for every occasion.
What Is This Watermelon Salad Recipe Made Of?
Cream Cheese – Rich and creamy, cream cheese provides an extra smooth texture and velvety taste.
Feta Cheese – Adding a salty taste, feta balances out the sweetness of the rest of the ingredients and creates a creamy texture. We used block feta, but crumbled works, too. Or, substitute it for mozzarella or goat cheese instead.
Mint – Fresh mint works best for a refreshing herbal flavor.
Honey – Honey is added for extra sweetness, but maple syrup or agave could be substituted instead. Or, for a more savory taste, leave it out completely.
Salt – It might sound crazy, but salt helps bring out the natural flavors of the rest o the items and pairs down the sweetness just a bit.
Olive Oil – Oil adds a rich flavor and helps to thin out the feta sauce. Plus, it’s full of healthy fats to keep you feeling satiated!
Water – Water is used to thin out the feta sauce.
Watermelon – It wouldn’t be a watermelon salad recipe without the fruit, would it? Sweet, juicy, and so delicious, it’s the star of the show.
Chili Flakes – Technically optional, we highly recommend including chili flakes for a bit of heat that makes this watermelon mint salad irresistible.
Vegan Option: If you want to make this recipe plant-based, swap out the cream cheese and feta for plant-based versions, and use agave nectar instead!
We think this watermelon mint salad is perfect as it is, but there are endless ways to prepare it! Here are some of our favorite variations:
- Make it a full meal by adding quinoa and/or chicken.
- Create more of a tangy taste by including sliced red onion.
- Add even more veggies with chopped cucumber.
- Not a fan of mint? Swap it out for basil to keep the refreshing flavor.
- Looking for crunch? Toss in some toasted nuts like walnuts or cashews.
- Get the most out of your summer produce, and try this recipe with strawberries instead of watermelon, too!
How to Make Watermelon Mint Feta Salad
- Create a creamy sauce by combining the cream cheese, feta, mint, honey, salt, and oil in a food processor.
- Create watermelon balls using a melon baller or large spoon.
- Add the feta sauce to a plate, and stack the watermelon on top.
- Sprinkle chili flakes, salt, and mint on top.
- Then, top it off with a drizzle of oil, and enjoy!
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
Due to the fact that watermelon becomes soggy very quickly, we highly recommend enjoying this salad the day it is made.
However, if you want to make it ahead of time, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. For the best results, keep the feta sauce and watermelon separate until just before serving.
More Summer Salads You’ll Love
- Healthy, delicious, and refreshing fruit salad lettuce cups are a fun snack or light meal even the kids love!
- Known as Salata Baladi in Egypt, this cucumber & tomato salad is a traditional recipe made with simple summer produce.
- Delightfully delicious, it should be illegal for food to taste as good as this Asian cucumber salad!
Whipped Feta Watermelon Salad Recipe
- 4 ounce cream cheese block (room temperature)
- 8 ounce feta cheese block
- 1 bunch mint + more to garnish
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (+ more for garnish)
- ½ cup water for thinning + more as needed
- ¼ large (about 2 cups watermelon)
- Pinch of chili flakes
- Add the cream cheese, feta, mint, honey, salt, and olive oil to a food processor.
- Pulse until a smooth, creamy texture is formed. (Add more water as needed.)
- Use a large spoon or melon baller to scoop out evenly sized balls of watermelon.
- Spread the feta mixture evenly on a serving platter. Stack the watermelon balls on top.
- Sprinkle with chili flakes, salt, and extra mint as desired.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil, and enjoy!