The best dang Olive Cheese Bread you’ll ever taste, this savory bread recipe comes together with thick, crusty French bread, tons of olives, onions, pimientos, garlic, and of course, loads of gooey cheese. Easy to make and oh-so-delicious, it’s guaranteed to have your whole family begging for seconds. Serve it with soup, pasta, salad, and more!
Why You’ll Love This Olive Cheese Bread
If you know us, you know that the only thing we love more than a good bread recipe is one that’s simple, quick, and easy to make! Luckily, this olive cheese bread recipe ticks all the boxes. Not only is it tasty, but it’s also:
- Loaded with veggies and dripping with cheese.
- Perfect for making ahead of time.
- Great for feeding a crowd.
- The best side dish or appetizer.
Ingredients You’ll Need
By no means is this olive bread recipe light, but it is definitely delicious and totally worth the calories! Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Bread – We like French bread the best, but any thick crusty bread will work fine.
- Garlic – Fresh roasted garlic is key to creating out-of-this-world flavor.
- Olive Oil – Used to caramelize the garlic, creating a sweet and savory taste.
- Butter – Spread on top of the bread, butter creates a super rich bread no one can resist.
- Veggies – Pimientos and green onions add a sweet and slightly tangy flavor that balances out the heaviness of the fats from the butter, olives, and cheese. If you want, you can also add diced jalapeños for a bit of a kick!
- Olives – We use green and Kalamata olives, but any varieties you like best can be used.
- Cheese – We adore Trader Joe’s Tuscan Mozzarella cheese! Or, Monterey Jack tastes great, too if you prefer a bit of spice.
- Mayonnaise – Our secret weapon, mayonnaise creates an extra rich and decadent flavor and locks in moisture for tender, gooey bread with a crisp, crunchy exterior.
How to Make the Best Olive Cheese Bread
One bite of this olive cheese bread and you’ll never go back to pre-made or store-bought bread options again!
- Roast the Garlic. Peel the outer layers off the whole head of garlic, making sure to leave the cloves intact. Then, use a sharp knife to cut off the top 1/4 of the head to expose the cloves beneath. Drizzle olive oil on top, and season with salt and pepper. Cover the garlic with aluminum foil, and bake in the oven for 40 minutes before setting it aside to cool.
- Create the Topping. Once cool enough to handle, squeeze the garlic cloves into a large mixing bowl followed by the butter, olives, pimentos, mayo, cheese, green onions, and jalapeños, if using. Stir until they are well combined.
- Bake the Bread. Spread the mixture onto sliced French bread. Place it in the oven to bake until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and golden brown. Then, slice into 1-inch pieces, and enjoy!
If you know us, you know we love a good make-ahead recipe, and this olive cheese bread is just that! Wrap leftovers in
Honestly, this olive cheese bread is so delicious it’s almost impossible to resist eating it on its own straight from the oven. However, if you’ve got the willpower, it pairs amazingly with all your favorite meals like:
- One Pot Spicy Rigatoni
- One Pan Alfredo Pasta
- Crispy Rice Bowl SweetGreen Copycat
- Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup
More Savory Bread Recipes
Whether you’re serving a crowd or cooking a cozy dinner for the family, you won’t want to miss out on more of our favorite savory bread recipes!
- Easy Focaccia Recipe with Tomatoes
- Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe (Pull Apart Bread)
- Homemade Garlic Bread with Spinach and Artichokes
- No Knead Cheesy Focaccia Bread
The Best Olive Cheese Bread
- 1 loaf French bread, halved
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 4 ounces chopped pimientos
- 1/2 cup sliced green olives
- 1/2 cup sliced Kalamata black olives
- 3 stalks green onions (scallions)
- 8 ounces Trader Joe's Tuscan Mozzarella Cheese (grated (or substitute with Monterey jack cheese))
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Peel the outer layers of the whole head of garlic, making sure to leave the garlic cloves intact.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the top 1/4 off the head of garlic to expose the cloves beneath. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Once the garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze the cloves into a large mixing bowl. Add the room-temperature butter, green and black olives, pimientos, mayo, cheese, and green onions. Mix to combine. *Option to add jalapeño for a kick!
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Spread the olive mixture onto the sliced French bread.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the top is golden and bubbly! Slice into 1-inch pieces, and serve warm.
- Store in a sealable bag at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.