This is the best dang olive and cheese bread recipe! The filling has roasted garlic, which takes this to another level! It’s so buttery, crispy, cheesy, salty, and oh so good!
We cannot resist a good cheesy bread, especially when it is packed with flavor! Once you roast garlic, you will never go back. It really elevates the flavor and makes this so rich.
By no means is this recipe light, but it’s so worth the calories. A great appetizer for a party and can be made ahead of time, which you know we love to do.
Serve this with a side of salad and pasta, or it will be wonderful with a nice warm bowl of soup!
Olive and Cheese Bread
- 1 loaf french bread
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 stick unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 oz chopped pimientos
- 1/2 cup sliced green olives
- 1/2 cup sliced kalamata black olives
- 3 stalks green onions scallions
- 8 oz Trader Joe's Tuscan Mozzarella Cheese grated (or substitute with Monterey jack cheese)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel the outer layers of the whole head of garlic. Making sure to leave the garlic cloves intact.
- Use a sharp knife and cut the top 1/4 of the head of garlic. You want to be able to expose the garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Once the garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze in a large mixing bowl. Add room temperature butter, green and black olives, pimentos, mayo, cheese, and green onions. Mix well until it is all combined. *option to add jalapeño for a kick!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread olive mixture onto French bread that has been sliced lengthwise.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and top is golden and bubbly! Slice into 1-inch pieces.
Options to make ahead
Assemble the olive and cheese mixture and refrigerate when ready to use. It can be stored for up to 2 days in an air tight container.
How To Roast A Head of Garlic
Peel the outer layers of the whole head of garlic. Making sure to leave the garlic cloves intact. Use a sharp knife and cut the top 1/4 of the head of garlic. You want to be able to expose the garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 40 minutes at 400 degrees F. Set aside to cool.
Why roast garlic?
Roasting garlic completely changes the flavor, and it’s so much easier to digest. The garlic also caramelizes really well. Smother them over garlic bread, pastas, or use it in salad dressings.
If you love cheesy bread, you will love our Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
What items we use
Trader Joe’s has an amazing Tuscan style Pizza Cheese blend that is amazing! If you cannot find this, you can substitute with Monterey jack cheese. If you like a little kick, we make this with pepper jack cheese too! If you have a favorite cheese feel free to substitute or do a blend of cheeses!
Do not add any salt to the olive-cheese filling. It is plenty salty from the olives!
Can this be made gluten-free
We have not tried a gluten-free bread but if you have a favorite gluten-free french bread, please feel free to use!
If you don’t like green or black olives, feel free to substitute with one or the other.