This easy Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe is made with basil, garlic, shallots, and heavy cream then topped off with homemade parmesan croutons. The perfect way to use up leftover tomatoes, it’s a simple vegetarian meal the whole family will love!
Why We Love Roasted Tomato Soup
Is there anything more comforting than a warm soup? Whether it’s a big bowl of potato soup, minestrone, or chicken wild rice soup, we can never say no! However, one of our all-time favorites has always been tomato soup. Super simple yet so delicious, it always hits the spot! For this version, we took the recipe we grew up with and made it even better with a few extra ingredients and homemade croutons. There are countless reasons why we love this roasted tomato soup recipe! For instance, it’s:
- Great for Meatless Mondays
- Super budget-friendly
- Filling enough to be a full meal but light enough to be served as an appetizer, too.
- Ready in 30 minutes and full of nutrients!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This roasted tomato basil soup is tasty as it is, but what truly sets it apart is the addition of the croutons. Luckily, both use simple ingredients!
For the Soup
- Tomatoes – For a more complex taste, we use a combination of large on-the-vine tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. Then, we roast them to create a sweet caramelized taste.
- Shallots – We prefer to use shallots instead of onions because they have a slightly sweeter texture.
- Garlic – Who doesn’t love garlic? Especially when it’s roasted. It’s crucial to the flavor of this recipe.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Not only does olive oil add healthy fats, but it also has a neutral flavor that doesn’t overpower the rest of the ingredients. However, you could also swap it out for avocado oil if you prefer.
- Basil – Basil helps cut the acidity of the tomatoes. Just be sure it’s fresh!
- Heavy Cream – Cream is the key to creating super creamy and rich tomato soup! Or, you could swap it out for evaporated milk.
- Salt & Pepper – Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Parmesan Cheese – Our favorite way to top off roasted tomato basil soup, Parmesan adds an extra layer of savory flavor making this recipe out-of-this-world delicious.
For the Croutons
- French Bread – We love French bread, but sourdough or any other thick, crusty bread would work, too.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – As with the soup, we prefer olive oil, because it’s full of healthy fats. But it also adds flavor and helps the cheese and seasonings stick to the croutons.
- Parmesan Cheese – You want to use grated Parmesan. For the best flavor, we recommend grating it fresh from the block if you can!
- Black Pepper – Add black pepper to taste. Personally, we use a pretty heavy hand with it.
Is Roasted Tomato Basil Soup Healthy?
Yes! This recipe uses natural ingredients and is loaded with vitamins and antioxidants thanks to the fresh tomatoes.
If you wanted a low-fat recipe, you could even swap out the cream for a low-fat milk. It just won’t be quite as rich or creamy.
How to Make this Easy Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe with Parmesan Croutons
This recipe comes together in two parts. First, you’ll make your roasted tomato soup. Second, you’ll make the croutons. Then, you’ll put it all together before you eat! Take a look at how each component is made below, and don’t forget to read the recipe card for the full details.
For the Soup
- Preheat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Bake the tomatoes, shallots, basil, and garlic for 35-40 minutes.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
For the Croutons
- Heat the
air fryerto 350° Fahrenheit.
- Toss the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Air fry for 8-10 minutes, tossing halfway through cooking.
Should I Peel the Tomatoes?
We don’t! We leave the seeds, too. You can definitely peel the skin off your tomatoes if you want to for an even creamier soup. It’s totally up to you!
How to Store Roasted Tomato Soup
Refrigerator: Place leftovers in an airtight container, and store them in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Freezer: Store your soup in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Then, when you’re ready to serve, thaw it in the freezer overnight.
Warm your leftovers on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated through.
Thanks to the addition of the croutons, this recipe is super filling on its own. Or, pair it with one of our favorite options below for a well-rounded meal!
- Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Cobb Salad with Green Goddess Dressing
- Summer Pasta Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Recipe
Even More Soups You’ll Love
- A family-friendly recipe, this vegan Zucchini Soup is an easy way to sneak in some veggies!
- Healthy, vegan, and so good for you, this Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup will become your new favorite comfort food.
- Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup is so easy to prepare that it’s guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
- Budget-friendly and hands-off to make, this Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili will blow your mind!
Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe with Parmesan Croutons
- 2-3 large tomatoes on the vine (cut in half or quartered)
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 2 small shallots (skin peeled and chopped in half)
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch basil
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (option to use coconut cream)
- salt and pepper to taste
- basil and parmesan cheese shavings for garnish
- 2 cups french bread (cut into 1-inch squares)
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel the outer layers of the whole head of garlic. Making sure to leave the garlic cloves intact.
- In a large baking dish or sheet pan add tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, shallots, and half of the fresh basil. Place the head of garlic on the sheet pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until tomatoes burst and garlic is nice and tender.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Remove the garlic and put tomato mixture, and remaining fresh basil, heavy cream in the blender. Squeeze the roasted garlic into the blender and discard the outer layer.
- Blend until smooth. Check for seasonings and and additional salt and pepper if needed. Heat when ready to serve.
- Set air fryer to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl toss together the cubed french bread, olive oil, and parmesan cheese. Place in a single layer in the air fryer for 8-10 minutes. Stir-half way through.
How to Make this Soup Vegan
This tomato soup recipe can be vegan by substituting coconut cream for the heavy cream and ommiting the parmesan cheese.
To make the croutons, toss in olive oil, salt and pepper. Set
If you love this soup. try our Butternut Squash Soup, which is a vegan friendly option!