An easy sheet pan meal, this Roasted Garlic and Broccoli Oven Grilled Cheese is perfect for feeding a crowd. Thick challah bread, creamy cheese, and healthy broccoli combine to create a meal both adults and kids will love. Serve them on their own or paired with your favorite soup!
Why We Love This Oven Grilled Cheese
Who doesn’t love a good sheet pan meal?! Honestly, they’re the best recipes when life gets busy, and this oven grilled cheese recipe is no different. A unique take on classic grilled cheese sandwiches, this version is a lifesaver. Plus, it’s got broccoli. So, that means it’s automatically healthy! Right? There are countless reasons why we love this dish, but we’ll just name a few. It’s:
- Quick to make.
- Perfect on its own or paired with soups, salads, and more.
- An easy meal everyone will agree on!
Simple Ingredients & Easy Substitutions
We kept the ingredient list minimal, but feel free to experiment with substitutions and additions to satisfy your tastebuds!
- Bread – We love to use thick challah bread, but choose whatever your family likes best! For a healthier option, try using a whole wheat bread instead of regular white bread.
- Cheese – Just like the bread, feel free to choose your favorite type of cheese. In our opinion, the best kinds are the ones that will give you those long cheese pulls!
- Broccoli – Use fresh broccoli for the best results! However, frozen will work fine as long as it is thawed completely. Or, if you don’t want broccoli, try cauliflower instead.
- Garlic – We recommend using fresh garlic for the boldest flavor. Just remember to add it close to the end of cooking, so it doesn’t burn. If you don’t have fresh garlic, powdered works just as well. Dust the broccoli with it in the pan before roasting.
- Butter – Rich and creamy, butter gives your oven grilled cheese that crispy golden appearance and slightly crunchy texture you want. Feel free to use salted or unsalted butter, just be mindful of the salt content of the cheese you use. You don’t want your sandwiches ruined because of too much salt!
How to Make Grilled Cheese in the Oven
Making these oven grilled cheese sandwiches is a breeze. For quick preparation, make sure to have your broccoli roasted beforehand.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Layer some cheese on the unbuttered side.
- Place some of your broccoli florets on top of the cheese.
- Put another layer of cheese on top of the broccoli.
- Top it off with another slice of bread, butter side up.
- Repeat until all of the ingredients have been used, and arrange the sandwiches on a baking sheet.
- Bake them in the oven at 450° F for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and prepare for the requests to make these again to start pouring in!
Tips for Making the Perfect Grilled Cheese in the Oven
These sandwiches are super simple to make, but we do have a few tips to make it even easier!
- Watch Your Sandwiches. The cooking time will vary depending on the type of bread and cheese you use. So, be sure to keep an eye on your sandwiches while they’re baking to ensure they don’t burn!
- Use An Extra Large Sheet Pan. Trust us, your guests are going to want seconds. So, use an extra large sheet pan to make up to 12 sandwiches at a time!
- Roast the Garlic. Roasting the garlic not only makes it easier to digest but also completely changes the flavor, giving it a boost of caramelization that makes this recipe absolutely drool-worthy!
Of course, this oven grilled cheese recipe is great served on its own. However, it can also be paired with your favorite main courses for a filling meal full of flavor. Some of our favorite pairings include:
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
Yes! these sandwiches can be made ahead of time. Just make sure you place them in an air-tight container before placing them in your refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
More Comfort Food Sandwiches You’ll Love
Sandwiches are always a good option when you are looking for comfort food. If you crave something other than these oven grilled cheese sandwiches, then check out these other tasty options.
- These Ground Beef Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches will fill up even the hungriest people. They are simple to make and can be enjoyed year-round.
- Take your grilled cheese to the next level with this Spanakopita Grilled Cheese recipe.
- This Slow Cooker Po’ Boy is the most indulgent sandwich you’ll ever make!
- Turkey Caprese Sandwiches are easy to make and taste like the ones from your favorite cafe.
Roasted Garlic and Broccoli Oven Grilled Cheese
- 1 loaf sliced challah bread
- 1 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 8 ounces room temperature cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (preferably freshly grated)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (preferably freshly grated)
- 4 Tablespoons room temperature butter
- 3 cloves roasted garlic
- 2 Tablespoons chopped flat leaf Italian parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice challah into 1/2 slices, feel free to slice them thicker if you like a thick cut of bread.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together, cream cheese, both shredded cheese, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Fold in the broccoli.
- In another bowl mix together butter, Italian parsley, roasted garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Spread 2 teaspoons on the bottom and top side of the bread. Fill with 2-3 tablespoons of the broccoli cheese filling. Sandwich together.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is nice and toasted.