Spanakopita-Inspired Spinach Grilled Cheese has all the flavor of our mom’s Spanakopita recipe with the ease of a thick, savory grilled cheese. Prepare a big batch, and serve them on their own or with your favorite sides for a hearty meal that both kids and adults will adore!
Why We Love This Spanakopita-Inspired Spinach Grilled Cheese
When the craving for warm, cheesy comfort food hit, this recipe seemed like a no-brainer. Made with a variety of rich cheeses and a creamy spinach filling, it combines the best of both worlds into one irresistible sandwich. The spanakopita flavors remind us of our childhood, and no one can ever say no to a good grilled cheese. Seriously, you need this recipe in your life. It’s:
- So quick to make
- Filled with an ooey, gooey center
- Perfectly crisp on the outside
- Secretly full of veggies for a cozy meal you can feel good about
What Is Spanakopita?
If you’ve never had it, Spanakopita is a popular Greek savory pie recipe. Typically, it is made with a crispy phyllo dough crust that is stuffed with a creamy filling made up of spinach, feta cheese, garlic, and green onions. Some people also use puff pastry. A longtime favorite, we grew up eating our mom’s version in Egypt!
Very similar to the Greek recipe, our mom made her Spanakopita using phyllo dough that had been soaked in a mixture of eggs and milk. As a result, it was extra crispy and super savory. You’ll even find versions stuffed with a meat filling, too!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Using inspiration from our mom, we took all the Spanakopita flavors we still crave and recreated them with half the work in this spinach grilled cheese recipe. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bread – We love Country French Bread, but any thick, crusty bread will work.
- Cream Cheese – This helps create the creamiest spinach grilled cheese you’ll ever taste.
- Cheese – Unlike standard recipes that just use one type of cheese, a combination of feta, mozzarella, and parmesan is used for the gooiest, most incredible taste.
- Veggies – Spinach and green onions add a boost of nutrients and vibrant color.
- Milk – Whole milk works best, but any milk you have on hand will do.
- Eggs – Similar to french toast, eggs are used to create a crisp coating and lock in flavor.
- Seasonings – Just a pinch of salt and pepper elevates the flavors of the rest of the ingredients for a super savory dish.
How to Make the Best Spinach Grilled Cheese
Literally bursting with cheese, this recipe is so easy to make. Take a look at an overview of the instructions below. Then, scroll to the bottom for the full details on what you’ll need to do.
- Combine the cream cheese, spinach, feta, mozzarella, green onion, salt, and pepper.
- Slice your bread loaf into slices roughly ½ inch thick.
- Spread 1-2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture on up to 8 slices.
- Then, top each piece of bread with a slice of Mozzarella cheese and a slice of bread to create a sandwich.
- Add the sandwiches to a greased baking dish.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk together, and pour the mixture over the sandwiches.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours or up to overnight.
- To bake, first, let the ingredients sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven.
- Bake your sandwiches for 20-25 minutes fully covered. Then, remove the foil, and continue to bake until the top of the bread has browned.
- Serve right away!
Thanks to the use of veggies and the high-protein content of cheese, these sandwiches are super filling on their own. However, they also pair amazingly with all your favorite sides and appetizers for a full meal. Try serving them with:
This recipe is best served fresh while still warm from the oven. However, if you want to make them ahead of time, you can store your grilled cheese sandwiches in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Then, when you’re ready to eat, just warm them in the oven or a lightly buttered skillet over medium heat.
More Sandwich Recipes You Need In Your Life
Looking for more family-friendly sandwich recipes? We’ve got you covered!
- A simple sheet pan meal, this Roasted Garlic and Broccoli Oven Grilled Cheese is perfect for feeding a crowd.
- Transform boring sandwiches into a Mexican-inspired delicacy with this Easy Chicken Fajita Sandwich Recipe!
- Even better than your favorite cafe’s version, this Turkey Caprese Sandwich is stuffed full of fresh veggies, flavorful herbs, and protein for a kid-friendly lunch or dinner you’ll love.
- The ultimate comfort food, this Spinach and Artichoke Baked Grilled Cheese takes the childhood classic to the next level with an irresistible filling.
Spanakopita-Inspired Spinach Grilled Cheese
- 1 loaf Country French bread (or bread of choice)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup feta crumbles
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 16 ounces frozen spinach (thawed and drained well)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 6 slices low-moisture mozzarella cheese slices
- 1 cup whole milk or milk of choice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large mixing bowl, add softened cream cheese, spinach (be sure to drain really well) feta cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, green onions, salt, and pepper. Mix well until well combined.
- Slice bread into 1/2 inch slices. Spread about 2 Tablespoons of the cream cheese/spinach mixture on 6-8 slices. Top each piece of bread with a slice of mozzarella cheese. Top with a piece of bread to make a sandwich. Place sandwiches in a buttered 13x9 baking dish.
- In a measuring cup whisk milk, and eggs until combined. Pour the egg mixture over the sandwiches. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top of the sandwiches. Cover with aluminum foil, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Once ready to bake, let the baking dish sit out for 30 minutes to come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 375° F. Bake covered for 20-25 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until top is browned.
- Remove from the oven, and serve immediately.
Will the milk egg mixture make the bottom soggy??
No, it does not get soggy! You need to make sure you use a good thick bread!
I’m obsessed with this meal! I’m a big cheese fan and this hits the spot every time!
Hi Jill- Yay, we are so glad to hear! xo, Alia & Radwa
These turned out so great. Amazing flavour. So easy to make! I will definitely be making these again. Even thinking about them makes my mouth water lol