Transform boring sandwiches into a Mexican-inspired delicacy with this Easy Chicken Fajita Sandwich Recipe! Stuffed with sauteéd onions, peppers, and cheese, it’s a drool-worthy homemade recipe that tastes gourmet!
What Is a Chicken Fajita Sandwich?
This recipe was kind of a happy accident. You see, it resulted in an effort to use up leftover fajita chicken. Tired of leftovers, we decided to create something new, and the results couldn’t have been any more delicious! This chicken fajita sandwich recipe uses traditional fajita ingredients like onions and bell peppers and combines them with thick sandwich bread and gooey cheese for the most incredible sandwich you’ll ever make!
Baked in the oven, they’re crisp on the outside yet soft and melty on the inside. Loaded with protein and veggies, they’re filling enough to serve on their own or can be paired with all your favorite sides for one amazing meal!
What Makes a Chicken Fajita a Fajita?
Fajitas were originally invented in the 1930s by Mexican ranch workers in Texas. It was not uncommon for these workers to be paid with beef. However, the meat they received was commonly considered as being the most undesirable parts of the cow. So, in an effort not to waste the food, they learned how to marinate and grill these tough cuts transforming them into a super tasty meal served over tortillas.
Never meant to become such a popular dish, fajitas quickly spread across the U.S. and have been made with all kinds of protein including chicken and shrimp. Today, you’ll find them in pretty much every Mexican restaurant you find. If you’re interested, you can keep reading more about their history and rise in fame here!
Is Fajita Chicken Healthy?
Yes! Fajita chicken is typically made with lean chicken breasts meaning it is high in protein and low in fat. To make it even more nutritious, it’s combined with peppers and onions and cooked on the grill which requires very little oil. As a result, fajita chicken is loaded with vitamins, nutrients, fiber, and, of course, flavor!
What They’re Made Of (Ingredients You’ll Need)
This recipe uses all the classic ingredients you’d expect with just a little twist! To lock in flavor and create the crispiest bread, created an egg mixture that coats the bread kind of like french toast. The result is so good! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Olive Oil – This is used to cook the chicken fajita mixture locking in moisture and boosting the flavor of the veggies while also providing healthy fats to keep you satisfied!
- Chicken – We found that chicken breasts work best to absorb the flavor of the seasonings and keep this recipe lower in fat. However, thighs could be used as well.
- Veggies – Onions, red, yellow, and green peppers create a super colorful meal and provide a good source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber to keep you full.
- Seasonings – Garlic, taco or fajita seasoning mix, salt, and pepper are used to create a classic chicken fajita taste with ease. For quick cooking, we opt for pre-made seasoning packets, but you could also create your own with a recipe like this.
- Eggs and Milk – When combined, these create a high-protein coating for the outside of the bread that locks in the flavor and moisture and creates a truly incredible taste.
- Bread – Any thick sandwich bread such as ciabatta, focaccia, or baguette slices will work.
- Cheese – We love triple Cheddar cheese for a slightly tangy taste. Or, you could swap it out for Cotija, Pepperjack, or even Provolone. Really, whatever you have on hand will taste great!
How to Make An Easy Chicken Fajita Sandwich
You might think making a fajita sandwich just requires stuffing bread full of chicken and veggies. However, we took it one step further by coating the bread in a rich egg mixture and baking it in the oven for the most drool-worthy sandwiches you’ll ever make! Just follow the instructions below:
- Preheat your oven, and grease a baking dish.
- Warm the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the garlic, onions, and chicken until the meat is no longer pink. Then, add in the peppers, taco/fajita seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Continue to cook until the peppers become soft.
- Place 4 slices of bread in the bottom of the prepared baking dish, and layer the chicken fajita mixture on top followed by half of the cheese. Place the remaining bread on top.
- Whisk together the milk and eggs, and pour the mixture on top making sure to completely coat the bread.
- Top the dish with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Then, set the oven to broil, and continue to cook until the cheese is bubbly and golden. Be sure to keep a close eye on your sandwiches so they don’t burn!
Can I Use a Different Protein?
Sure! Stead and chicken work great. Or, to keep these fajita sandwiches vegetarian use mushrooms instead. Just be sure to adjust the cooking times as needed.
Feel free to serve these fajita sandwiches all on their own. Or, pair them with yummy sides like:
Make Ahead Options
If you want to prepare chicken fajita sandwiches ahead of time there are several options! First, when fully combined and cooked, leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
Or, feel free to prepare the fajita chicken mixture separately. Then, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Or, pop it in the freezer for up to 9 months. Then, all you have to do is let it thaw, and follow the directions as usual to prepare your sandwiches.
To Reheat: Warm your sandwiches in the microwave, skillet, or oven until the desired temperature is reached.
More Sandwiches You’ll Love
If you’re looking for more easy sandwich options, you won’t want to miss out on these scrumptious recipes!
- Even better than your favorite cafe’s version, this Turkey Caprese Sandwich is stuffed full of fresh veggies, flavorful herbs, and protein for a kid-friendly lunch or dinner perfect for picnic season, packed lunches, and more!
- If you love the flavors of spanakopita, you will adore this big batch of Spanakopita Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
- This recipe is a super simple, at-home Ground Beef Philly Cheesesteak recipe that we think is absolutely divine!
- Our take on a Southern staple, these Slow Cooker Po’ Boy Sandwiches are a super indulgent hands-off recipe.
Easy Chicken Fajita Sandwich Recipe
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breast
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 green pepper (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons taco or fajita seasoning mix
- Optional: 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 8 slices bread
- 1 cup shredded cheese (divided)
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit, and grease a square baking dish. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, and chicken, and sauté until the chicken is no longer pink. Add the peppers, taco/fajita seasoning, and continue to sauté for 10 minutes or until the peppers soften.
- Arrange 4 slices of bread in the prepared baking dish.
- Layer the chicken fajita mixture on top followed by half of the cheese and the remaining bread.
- In a bowl, whisk the milk and egg until smooth. Pour the egg mixture on top of the bread. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top, coating evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Then, set the oven to broil on low for another 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly. NOTE: Keep a close eye on the sandwiches while they broil as they can burn quickly!
- Serve immediately.