These caprese sandwiches are so easy to make and so good! It tastes just like a cafe style sandwich with layers of pesto, mozzarella cheese, turkey slices, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, and of course a drizzle of balsamic glaze!
What is Caprese?
Caprese is an Italian-style salad that consists of fresh mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and lots of fresh basil. It usually has a drizzle of balsamic glaze. We decided to take these flavors and turn them into sandwiches!
What is balsamic glaze?
If you have never tried this, you’re missing out! It’s basically dark balsamic vinegar that is cooked down and reduced until it turns nice and thick. It will have a syrup-like consistency!
Turkey Caprese Sandwich
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice your ciabatta bread down the center.
- In a 13x9 baking dish add half the bread to the bottom.
- Add 1 tablesoon of pesto to each piece of bread. Now you can start the layering. Add shredded mozzarella cheese, spinach, turkey slices, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. Top with the top of teh ciabatta bread.
- Cover and bake this for about 15-20 minutes.
How to make these sandwiches for meal prep?
These sandwiches can easy be made ahead of time. You can make them and individually wrap them in foil. When you are ready to eat you can pop them in the oven. We’ve also tried them in the air fryer and they work beautifully! You will wrap them in foil, place them in the air fryer at 325 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes.
You can easily double this recipe for a larger batch!
If you LOVE pesto and are a die hard pesto fan you can add more pesto to the top ciabatta. You can also make your own homemade pesto, we went with the jar just because it ends up being so easy to put together!
Substitutions: If you don’t want any deli meat you can certainly leave it out. If you don’t want turkey, can you substitute for your favorite kind of deli meat. With out without, its delicious!