Even better than your favorite cafe’s version, this Turkey Caprese Sandwich is stuffed full of fresh veggies, flavorful herbs, and protein for a kid-friendly lunch or dinner perfect for picnic season, packed lunches, and more!
What Is Caprese?
Typically, Caprese is a simple Italian salad made out of sliced tomatoes, fresh Mozzarella, and basil that is seasoned with salt and olive oil. However, the term Caprese also defines the flavor of any foods that use this classic combination of flavors. From Caprese pasta to Caprese Avocado Toast, this Turkey Caprese Sandwich, and more, the options are endless!
Are Caprese Sandwiches Healthy?
Generally speaking, yes, Caprese sandwiches are healthy. They contain a good balance of carbs, fats, and proteins to keep you full. Plus, there’s a good dose of vitamins, nutrients, and fiber, too! However, feel free to make changes, substitutions, and variations to fit your specific needs.
Caprese Sandwich Ingredients
There’s no right or wrong way to make a Caprese sandwich! Many versions are made vegetarian while others are loaded with chicken, turkey, and more. For our recipe, we kept things fairly simple, opting for fresh veggies and a bit of protein to keep you full. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Bread – We love to use thick Ciabatta bread buns, but any thick, crusty bread such as sourdough or French bread would be great, too!
- Turkey – Any deli meat you prefer can be substituted. Or, leave it off completely to make this a vegetarian Caprese sandwich.
- Veggies – We included fresh spinach and sliced tomatoes, but you could add any veggies you have on hand such as cucumbers or sliced peppers.
- Pesto – Savory and full of fresh, herbaceous flavor, a smear of pesto helps replicate the restaurant-style sandwiches we love.
- Balsamic Glaze – Thick and slightly sticky, balsamic glaze has a slight sweetness that tastes great!
- Cheese – We used a combination of fresh and shredded Mozzarella, but feel free to experiment with your favorite cheese such as provolone or goat cheese, too.
How to Make the Best Turkey Caprese Sandwich
The thing that truly elevates this Caprese sandwich is that it is baked in the oven and served warm and slightly toasted. Here’s what you need to do to achieve the best sandwich you’ll ever taste!
- Preheat your oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Add half of the bread to the bottom of a baking dish.
- Smear 1 tablespoon of pesto on each piece of bread, and layer the rest of the ingredients ending with a drizzle of balsamic.
- Place the other piece of bread on top of each sandwich.
- Cover, and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Feel free to serve these sandwiches on their own or with your favorite easy sides for a complete meal! Some of the best pairings include:
- Whipped Feta Recipe with Roasted Peppers
- Greek Salad
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Oven Roasted Carrots with Tahini Dressing
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
Yes! This recipe is best served right away. However, if you want to make it ahead of time, it can be stored in the fridge for 1-2 days.
More Sandwiches You’ll Love
There’s never a bad time for a good sandwich! Whether you’re looking for a tasty make-ahead lunch or easy dinner, these recipes will always hit the spot.
- This Spanakopita Grilled Cheese has all the flavor of traditional spanakopita with the ease and convenience of a grilled cheese.
- The best make-ahead breakfast, these Protein Packed Egg Muffins are a time-saving dream on busy mornings!
- Super simple and overflowing with flavor, these Ground Beef Philly Cheesesteaks are the ultimate kid-friendly recipe.
- A hands-off version of a classic Southern staple, this Slow Cooker Po’ Boy recipe is a sandwich no one can resist!
Turkey Caprese Sandwich
- 6 ciabatta bread pieces
- 1/2 pound turkey slices or deli meat of choice
- 1 large tomato (sliced)
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 4 ounces pesto
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic glaze
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Slice the ciabatta bread down the center.
- In a 13×9 baking dish add half the bread to the bottom.
- Add 1 Tablesoon of pesto to each piece of bread. Then, layer the remainign ingredinents, and finish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze. Place the remainng obread on top to form sandwiches.
- Cover and bake for 15-20 minutes.
I made these sandwiches for dinner and loved them. My husband and daughter are picky eaters and they wanted seconds! I will definitely make these again, and try more recipes!
YES! Picky eater approved is a HUGE win!
I could not get over how easy and delicious these were! Crowd pleaser! Will definitely make again.
Wow wow wow this was so delicious! I was hesitant on the balsamic glaze because I’m a huge fan of pesto but that did not disappoint! Cooked these in the air fryer for 10 mins and they were perfect!
OHH, that makes us soo happy! We are so glad you liked it!
This was delicious! My picky eater of a husband ate 3 of the 6 sandwiches! Lol
That’s AMAZING! We love hearing that!