Even better than your favorite cafe’s version, this Turkey Caprese Sandwich recipe is full of fresh veggies, flavorful herbs, and protein for a kid-friendly lunch or dinner perfect for picnic season, packed lunches, and more!
Table of Contents
- Cheers for Caprese!
- What Is Caprese?
- What Is a Caprese Sandwich Made Of?
- How to Make a Café-Worthy Caprese Sandwich
- Alternative Cooking Method
- What Goes Well with a Caprese Sandwich?
- Common Questions About This Caprese Sandwich Recipe
- More Sandwiches You’ll Love
- Turkey Caprese Sandwich Recipe Recipe
Cheers for Caprese!
Is there anything more classic than a Caprese salad? It’s healthy, savory, easy to make, and so full of flavor!
However, it’s not exactly the most portable option and doesn’t hold up the greatest if you want to make it in advance. So, we took all the bold flavor you love and transformed it into a handheld meal with this easy caprese sandwich recipe!
- Made with less than ten ingredients.
- Requires minimal prep time and has a total time of less than 30 minutes.
- Easy to double and great for feeding a crowd.
- Great to make in advance.
What Is Caprese?
Typically, Caprese is a simple Italian salad made out of sliced tomatoes, fresh Mozzarella, and basil that is seasoned with salt and olive oil. However, the term Caprese also defines the flavor of any foods that use this classic combination of flavors.
It is said that the first Caprese salad was made by an Italian stone worker in the 1920s who created the dish after WWI as a tribute to his country. The name translates to mean “the salad of Capri,” which is where the salad was made.
What Is a Caprese Sandwich Made Of?
There’s no right or wrong way to make a Caprese sandwich recipe! Many versions are made vegetarian while others are loaded with chicken, turkey, and other ingredients.
However, for our version, we kept things fairly simple, opting for fresh veggies and a bit of protein to keep you full. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Fresh Bread – We love to use thick Ciabatta bread buns. Baked in the oven, they get golden and crisp on the outside and stay soft and fluffy in the center.
- Turkey – Use deli turkey or sliced turkey breast to add protein to your sandwich. Feel free to use roasted or seasoned varieties for even more flavor!
- Veggies – It wouldn’t be a Caprese recipe without tomatoes! We recommend slicing beefsteak tomatoes or other large slicing varieties that hold their shape. Then, we included fresh baby spinach for a boost of color and nutrients.
- Pesto – Use store-bought or homemade pesto to replicate the savory, herbaceous flavor of the restaurant-style sandwiches we love.
- Balsamic Vinegar Glaze – Thick and slightly sticky, the balsamic glaze has a slight sweetness that tastes great!
- Cheese – We use a combination of shredded and sliced fresh Mozzarella cheese for a classic caprese taste. However, feel free to experiment with your favorite cheese such as provolone or goat cheese, too.
Feel free to mix and match different ingredients to make this caprese sandwich as simple or as complex as you want! For instance, some of our favorite variations include:
- Swapping Out the Meat. Not a fan of turkey? Use chicken, ham, or even roast beef instead!
- Using Different Cheese. Experiment with adding more cheese or replacing the Mozzarella with options like provolone or goat cheese.
- Adding Extra Veggies. Red onions, cucumbers, arugula, sliced bell peppers, and mushrooms all make for great additions to add flavor, texture, and bulk up the nutrient profile.
- Using a Different Sauce. Swap out the pesto with any sauces or condiments you like best such as hummus, aioli, or toum.
How to Make a Café-Worthy Caprese Sandwich
The thing that truly elevates this caprese sandwich recipe is that it’s baked in the oven and served warm and slightly toasted. Here’s what to do to achieve the best sandwich you’ll ever taste!
- Prepare. Slice the Ciabatta bread buns down the center, and arrange them in a single layer in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Layer. Spread an even layer of pesto over each piece of bread in the baking dish. Then, layer the remaining ingredients on top, finishing with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
- Bake. Place the remaining bread pieces on top to form sandwiches. Then, cover the dish with foil, and bake until the ingredients are warm and the bread is light golden brown on top.
Alternative Cooking Method
If you don’t want to make a full batch of sandwiches, use a panini press or grill pan instead! Just assemble a Caprese sandwich or two, and toast it for three to four minutes or until the bread is golden and slightly crisp!
What Goes Well with a Caprese Sandwich?
Feel free to serve these sandwiches on their own or with your favorite sides for a complete meal! Some of the best pairings include:
- Whipped Feta Recipe with Roasted Peppers
- Greek Salad
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Oven Roasted Carrots with Tahini Dressing
- Fruit Salad
Common Questions About This Caprese Sandwich Recipe
In Italy, Caprese salads are referred to as Insalata Caprese, which translates to mean Salad of Capri.
We’re partial to Ciabatta, but any thick, crusty bread can be used. Baguettes and French bread work great, and if you really want to go the extra mile, use flavored varieties, too!
Yes! This recipe is best served right away. However, if you want to make it ahead of time, it can be wrapped in foil or transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for one to two days.
Generally speaking, yes, Caprese sandwiches are healthy. They contain a good balance of carbs, fats, and proteins to keep you full. Plus, there’s a good dose of vitamins, nutrients, and fiber, too! However, feel free to make changes, substitutions, and variations to fit your specific needs, and consult your doctor with any specific concerns!
More Sandwiches You’ll Love
There’s never a bad time for a good sandwich! Whether you’re looking for a tasty make-ahead lunch or an easy dinner, these recipes will always hit the spot.
- Spanakopita Grilled Cheese
- Protein Packed Egg Muffins
- Ground Beef Philly Cheesesteaks
- Slow Cooker Po’ Boy
Turkey Caprese Sandwich Recipe
- 6 ciabatta bread pieces
- 4 ounces pesto
- 1/2 pound turkey slices or deli meat of choice
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic glaze
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the ciabatta bread down the center.6 ciabatta bread pieces
- In a 13×9 baking dish, add half the bread to the bottom.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of pesto to each piece of bread. Then, layer the remaining ingredients (turkey, tomatoes, spinach, Mozzarella), and finish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze. Place the remaining bread on top to form sandwiches.4 ounces pesto, 1/2 pound turkey slices or deli meat of choice, 1 large tomato, 2 cups fresh spinach, 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, 3 Tablespoons balsamic glaze
- Cover and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Store in the fridge for 1-2 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.