For the most indulgent sandwich, look no further than our slow cooker po boy!! Our take on this southern staple is full of flavor and this recipe is super hands off. All the things we love!
What is a po boy?
A po boy is the most delicious, juicy sandwich that comes from Louisiana. It traditionally features slow roasted meat or fried seafood, served with lettuce, tomato and cheese!
A key characteristic of a po boy is the bread. You want a long roll that is crispy on the outside, and soft and fluffy on the inside. Occasionally, you may see po boys served with gravy – especially the po boys with fried fillings!
Often times, this type of sandwich is referred to as a submarine or a hoagie (especially if you are living near Philadelphia or southern New Jersey!).
What is the best kind of meat to use for our slow cooker beef Po Boy?
A common question when it comes to making po boys is what kind of meat you should use. As we mentioned earlier, you can have a fried seafood po boy, or a roasted meat po boy. We find that chuck roast is the very best beef cut to cook in our crockpot.
Chuck roast is a great cut of meat to put in the slow cooker because it has a lot of connective tissue. This actually makes the meat super tender when cooked over long periods of time!
Where did the po boy get its name?
The first po boy was made during the 1920s in New Orleans, Louisiana. It was a tumultuous time in history, and in the summer of 1929, New Orleans saw hundreds of workers striking or out of work. Two brothers who owned a restaurant in the french market offered free 20-inch sandwiches to any community members out of work in their district.
As sisters who love to feed people, we can appreciate this sibling foodie story! The brothers, named Bennie and Clovis Martin, went on to feed over a thousand workers that summer. And every time someone came to their food stand, they’d say “Here comes another poor boy” – which is how this sandwich got its name!
Word of the yummy sandwich made its way around the city. And before they knew it, the Martin brothers were opening up sandwich shops across the state. Now it is a popular sandwich nationwide!
How to make slow cooker beef po boy
- Place chuck roast into the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Pour the paprika, salt, pepper, chili powder and oregano on top.
- Lay the sliced onions on top of or beside the cut of meat. Follow by scooping the chopped garlic on top and the jalapeños!
- Pour in the beef broth.
- Cover and seal. Cook on high for 6 hours.
- Shred the meat with a fork.
- Assemble your sandwiches!
How to store slow cooker beef po boys
These slow cooker beef po boys are super easy to store, which also makes them easy to make in advance!
You can store leftover sandwiches in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. But keep in mind that the bread might get a little soggy.
We recommend only assembling the po boys you are going to eat, though. That’s because leftovers keep better if you store them separately. So store any leftover meat or sandwich toppings in their own separate container in the fridge. Then wrap the bread up!
When you are ready to eat the leftovers, just pop the meat in the microwave, toast the bread and assemble your sandwich.
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”knzUYCde” upload-date=”2022-06-29T13:42:21.000Z” name=”Slow Cooker Po boy with Beef” description=”” player-type=”default” override-embed=”default”]
Other sandwiches you’re going to love!
- Our Turkey Caprese Sandwiches are straight out of a cafe or bistro! We love the delicious layers of mozzarella, tomato, turkey, and pesto on this crunchy ciabatta.
- For a surefire crowdpleaser, make our Spanakopita Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. It is a crossover recipe that we love – it includes all the characteristic flavors of spanakopita but comes in the form of a nostalgic grilled cheese.
- If you’re in the mood for a hearty sub, then our Ground Beef Philly Cheesesteak is for you. It is so easy to make, and kids absolutely love it!
- Do you like breakfast at all times of the day? Us too! Our Protein Packed Egg Muffin Sandwiches are the best for meal prepping or large potluck brunches!
Slow Cooker Beef Po’ Boy
- 3 pounds chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium jalapeño
- 2 cups beef broth
- your favorite bread and sandwich fillings
- Place chuck roast into the bottom of a slow cooker. Pour the paprika, salt, pepper, chili powder, and oregano on top.3 pounds chuck roast, 2 teaspoons paprika, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Lay the sliced onions on top of or beside the cut of meat. Follow by scooping the chopped garlic on top and the jalapeños!1 medium yellow onion, 4 cloves garlic, 1 medium jalapeño
- Pour in the beef broth.2 cups beef broth
- Cover and seal. Cook on high for 6 hours. Shred the meat with a fork.
- Assemble your sandwiches!your favorite bread and sandwich fillings
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.