Simple and delicious, we’ll teach you how to make The Best Healthy Chickpea Hummus Recipe. Smooth, creamy, and full of flavor, it’s tastier than anything you’ll find in the store and better for you, too! Serve it with veggies, crackers, sandwiches, and more.
What Is Hummus?
A popular Middle Eastern dish, hummus is a dip or spread made out of a base of chickpeas. Traditional recipes included tahini and lemon, and today most versions also include garlic and olive oil. The popularity of the dish dates back for as long as records show, and the exact origins are unknown. It is believed to have been largely popularized due to its affordability and ease.
Today, you’ll find a wide array of hummus variations. However, for this chickpea hummus recipe, we stuck to the basics, creating a smooth and creamy dip that’s just as tasty and even healthier than any of the pre-made versions available at your local grocery store.
Ingredients You’ll Need for a Healthy Hummus Recipe
One of the great things about hummus is just how versatile it can be! However, for this version, we kept things simple for a healthy hummus recipe you can pair with all your favorite snacks, appetizers, and meals. In fact, you probably have everything you’ll need.
- Chickpeas – Full of fiber and plant-based protein, chickpeas soften and form a thick paste to create the base of this hummus.
- Baking Soda – Boiling chickpeas in baking soda helps raise the pH balance of the water allowing their skins to loosen easily, creating a softer, smoother texture.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Mixed into the chickpea hummus and sometimes even swirled on top, the addition of olive oil provides healthy fats and creates a rich, luxurious taste and texture.
- Tahini – Made out of ground sesame seeds tahini boosts the flavor of your hummus with a slightly nutty taste. You can buy it at the store, or for a budget-friendly option, you can make tahini yourself by pulsing sesame seeds in a food processor until smooth!
- Lemon and Lime – The acidity of the citrus helps cut through the heaviness of the fats, creating extra layers of depth and a refreshing flavor you’ll love.
- Seasonings – For this recipe, we used cumin, white pepper, and sea salt, but feel free to experiment with whatever you like best!
- Ice Water – It may sound strange, but the addition of cold water and ice creates the absolute fluffiest, most creamy hummus you’ll ever taste.
How to Make Easy Chickpea Hummus
This recipe comes together faster than it’ll take you to run to the store. Here’s what to do:
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, and place them in a pot with water.
- Add baking soda, and bring the ingredients to a boil. Then, simmer for 20 minutes.
- Submerge the chickpeas in cold water, and remove their skin.
- Pulse the chickpeas in a food processor or blender.
- Pour in the tahini, oil, lemon, and lime juices before pulsing again.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth and creamy.
Honestly, in our opinion, there’s not much this chickpea hummus recipe can’t be served with. However, some of our favorite ways to serve it include:
- As a dip for fresh veggies
- Spread on pita or naan bread
- Smeared on sandwiches for extra flavor
- Drizzled for as a dressing for salads
Is chickpea hummus healthy?
Yes! Made with natural ingredients, chickpea hummus is full of healthy fats, fiber, and plant-based protein making it a super nourishing recipe.
Do I need to peel the chickpeas?
Technically you don’t have to peel the chickpeas. However, it is the secret to making extra smooth hummus, and it doesn’t take much time!
Are canned chickpeas good for hummus?
We prefer to use canned chickpeas to save time. Just as healthy and every bit as tasty as uncooked varieties, they make for super quick hummus recipes that taste great.
More Ways to Make Hummus
This chickpea hummus is our go-to recipe for a simple spread. However, if you’re looking for even more flavor or an impressive appetizer, we’ve got just the recipes for you!
- This Hummus with Roasted Tomatoes and Olives spruces up traditional recipes with fresh veggies and tasty toppings for incredible flavor and an amazing texture you’ll love.
- Elevate your hummus from a snack or appetizer to a complete and satisfying meal with this Hummus Baked Chicken!
- Warm spices, sweet squash, and roasted pecans combine all the flavors of fall in this Roasted Maple Butternut Squash Hummus Dip. It’s an irresistible recipe you’ll crave all year long!
The Best Healthy Chickpea Hummus Recipe
- 3 (15 oz) cans chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 large lemon
- 1 large lime
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 1/2 cup ice water (with ice) + more if needed
- Drain and rinse canned chickpeas until water runs clear. Submerge the drained chickpeas in a pot of water over high heat.
- Add baking soda, and bring the ingredients to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, drain, and rinse the chickpeas again. Submerge in cool water, and gently rub the chickpeas to remove the skin.
- Add chickpeas to a high-powered blender or food processor.
- Add the tahini, olive oil, lemon, and lime juice. Pulse until smooth.
- Add cumin, salt, pepper, ice cubes, and water. Pulse again until smooth and creamy. Add more ice water as needed until the desired consistency is reached.
The word HUMMUS— HOO-MOOS — is in Arabic and means GARBANZO BEANS ( aka CHICKPEAS)
So ALL HUMMUS is made of GARBANZOS!!