Wholesome and delicious, this easy Greek Salad Recipe is made with simple, budget-friendly ingredients for a healthy meal you can whip up in minutes. Serve it as a side or appetizer or on its own for a filling meal!
Why You’ll Love This Greek Salad Recipe
Is there anything better than a good salad recipe? Whether you’re preparing a holiday dinner for a crowd or a light lunch for yourself, they always hit the spot! While we have tons of tasty salads like our cobb salad and whipped feta chicken salad, this Greek salad recipe is one we come back to again and again. Here’s why:
- It’s made with fresh, simple ingredients.
- You can prepare it in minutes.
- Easily customizable, it’s great for every occasion.
- With plenty of flavor and a satisfying crunch, it’s one recipe everyone is guaranteed to love!
What Is Traditional Greek Salad Made Of?
Authentic Greek salads, also known as Horiatiki, which translates to mean village or peasant salad, consist of a combination of tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, green peppers, olives, and feta cheese tossed in olive oil.
What Kind of Lettuce Is Greek Salad Made With?
Traditional Greek salad recipes do not contain any lettuce or greens at all. However, as the dish has gained popularity and evolved, it has been adapted and modified to include lettuce. For our Greek salad recipe, we typically use Romaine lettuce. For a similar taste or texture, you could also use shredded Iceberg or Bibb lettuce.
Or, shake things up with more flavorful leafy greens such as Rainbow chard, Swiss chard, spinach, or arugula! If preferred, you could use kale, too. Just be sure to massage the leaves with lemon juice or olive oil before combining them with the other ingredients! Otherwise, they will be super bitter.
Ingredients You’ll Need for the Best Greek Salad Recipe
For this Greek salad recipe, we took the classic version and spruced it up a bit with extra ingredients for even more flavor and texture. Here’s everything you’ll need!
For the Best Greek Salad Recipe:
- Lettuce – As mentioned, we use Romain lettuce, but feel free to mix and match your favorite greens.
- Red Onion – Sliced thin, these add a touch of heat and extra crunch.
- Olives – We love Kalamata olives, but feel free to use any olives you have on hand.
- Tomatoes – We use on-the-vine tomatoes, but any tomatoes you like best will work.
- Cucumbers – Used for a refreshing crunch.
- Feta Cheese – This adds a creamy texture and rich taste.
- Pita Chips – Not included in classic Greek salad recipes, we found that pita chips add a nice crunch that makes this Greek salad recipe extra satisfying.
For the Greek Salad Dressing:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – A great source of healthy fats, this forms the base of the dressing.
- Herbs and Spices – Dried oregano, dried basil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper add tons of savor flavor.
- White Wine – The acidity helps cut through the heaviness of the fat, adding depth to the dressing. If needed, you could use red wine vinegar instead.
- Lime – Fresh lime juice adds notes of citrus for a bright and refreshing flavor.
Feel free to mix and match your favorite ingredients to make this Greek salad recipe fit your flavor preferences and dietary needs! For instance, some of our favorite variations include:
- Healthy carb sources like quinoa, lentils, black beans, or chickpeas.
- Protein sources such as steak, chicken, shrimp, or tempeh to keep this recipe vegetarian.
- Nutritious fats like avocado slices, hard-boiled eggs, nuts, or seeds.
How to Make Greek Salad
You won’t believe that something so delicious can be so easy to make!
- Prepare the Salad. Add all of the ingredients for the salad to a large mixing bowl.
- Prepare the Greek Salad Dressing. Add all of the ingredients for the dressing to a jar or bowl, and shake or whisk until they are well combined.
- Toss. Drizzle the dressing on top of the salad, and toss until all of the ingredients are coated.
- Serve. Serve immediately. Or, transfer the salad to the fridge to chill, and enjoy!
As mentioned, this Greek salad recipe makes for a light and filling meal on its own. However, we love to serve it with a side of Olive Cheese Bread or Homemade Garlic Bread with Spinach and Artichokes!
Or, if you want to serve it as a side or appetizer, try pairing it with recipes like Moroccan Spicy Tomato Soup, Falafel, Air Fryer Honey Garlic Chicken Wings, Creamy Linguine Shrimp Alfredo, and more!
Make Ahead and Storage Options
This Greek salad recipe is best served right away! However, if you want to prepare it in advance, we recommend preparing the items separately. Then, store the dressing, toppings (minus the pita chips), and lettuce in a separate container for 1-2 days. When you’re ready to eat, toss all of the ingredients together, and enjoy!
More Salad Recipes to Try
If you enjoy this Greek salad recipe, you won’t want to miss out on more of our favorites below!
The Best Greek Salad Recipe
For the Greek Salad:
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- ½ medium red onion (sliced)
- ½ cup Kalamata olives
- 2 large (approx 2 cups on-the-vine tomatoes, chopped)
- 1 large (approx 1 1/2 cups English cucumber, chopped)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1 cup pita chips
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon white wine or red wine vinegar
- 1 medium lime (juiced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Start by preparing all of your salad ingredients! Thinly slice the lettuce. Then dice the tomatoes and cucumbers into small cubes. Cut the kalamata olives in half and slice the red onion.
- Next, make the salad dressing. Combine olive oil, oregano, basil, garlic powder, vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper in a mason jar. Cover and shake well.
- Get a large bowl. Put the lettuce in the bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, cucumbers, kalamata olives, onions, feta and pita chips on top of the lettuce.
- Drizzle with as little or as much dressing on top of the salad.
- Toss the salad with large salad spoons or tongs.
- Serve immediately!