One pot vegan quinoa recipe, with Mexican-inspired flavors! Loaded with healthy plant-based protein, and it’s gluten-free!
What are the health benefits of quinoa?
Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is a whole-grain carbohydrate as well as a whole protein ( it contains all nine essential amino acids. A great source of plant-based protein, high in fiber, and a great source of antioxidants, iron and folate.
What are the nutrition facts of quinoa? For a 1 cup (cooked) serving –
- 222 calories
- 39 grams (g) of carbs
- 8g of protein
- 6g of fat
- 5g of fiber
How does quinoa compare to rice?
Quinoa has twice as much protein, and 5g more fiber than a serving of white rice.
What are the different types of quinoa?
Looking for quinoa can be a little intimidating, you will come across several different kinds. White is the most common one, however, you will also find red quinoa, black quinoa, or a tri-color quinoa. All are great options and have very slight flavor differences, we personally can’t tell much. Especially if you add a lot of spices and/or seasonings.
One Pot Mexican Quinoa
- 1 cup white quinoa rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning or 1 packet
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup red chili peppers optional
- 1/4 cup green pepper
- 4 oz can green chilies
- 14 oz can mild rotel or spicy
- 4 cloves garlic
- lemon juice
- 2 cups low-sodium broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 oz canned black beans rinsed and drained
- garnish with cilantro avocado, green onions and red pepper. Option for sour cream
- In a 12-inch skillet (be sure it has a lid) or pot on medium-high heat add quinoa, and taco seasoning.
- Add red onion, green pepper, green chilis, rotel, black beans, garlic, broth, salt, pepper, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Stir together.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low for 16-18 minutes.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, fluff it with a fork. Garnish with fresh cilantro, avocado, green onion and sour cream (optional).
Need substitutions? Don’t worry, you can substitute or add any veggies. For ex. black beans, with pinto beans or keep the beans out all together. Green peppers for yellow or orange peppers.
Also, this recipe works great with all types of quinoa and you will get the same result with all of them.
Tips For Making Quinoa
Rinsing quinoa or toasting will get rid of the bitter taste, so do not skip this step!
To rinse quinoa, place in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under running cold water.
Why should you toast quinoa? It gets a nice nutty flavor. Here is how to toast quinoa – in a dry skillet add a couple tablespoons of butter on medium heat. Toss the quinoa and keep stirring until the grains are a shade darker and smell nutty.
Both of these methods will help the quinoa get rid of any bitter taste.
Fluff with a fork when it is cooked.
How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
Clearly we love taco seasoning, we use it is so many recipes. Sometimes we use a good quality store bought one, without a lot of additives, other recipes we make our own.
2 tbsp chili powder
Mix all the ingredients together. Yields approx. 1/4 cup.
Sour cream is a great garnish, either dairy or a non-dairy version!