Nothing beats a slow cooker recipe, this Beef Birria is the easiest weeknight meal!
What is Beef Birria?
Birria is a beef stew that originates in Jalisco, Mexico. Traditionally, it is made our of lamb or beef and is slow cooked until nice and tender. Before serving top it with a fresh squeeze of lime, onions and cilantro. You can serve it as a stew or with your choice of tortillas!
What is Birria Made Out Of?
How to Make an Authentic Beef Birria?
There are a few different ways to eat Birria. The first is as a “consommè” which is a type of soup, or stew. Add a variety of spices and dried chilies for flavor and a kick! You start of by marinating the meat with a variety of spices and seasoning, such as guajillo, ancho, and chipotle peppers. You will also use spices, such as cumin, thyme, oregano, marjoram, and cloves. We love to marinate for at least a few hours in order for the flavors to really get into that meat! If you do not have that much time, try to at least give it one hour!
Slow Cooker Beef Birria
- 2 lbs Chuck roast steak (boneless and fat trimmed)
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp sea salt (more or less to taste)
- 1 diced onion
- 1 sliced jalapeño (optional)
- 1 sliced red chilli pepper (optional)
- 1 medium diced green pepper
- 14 oz mild enchilada sauce
- 12 oz beef broth or choice of broth
- diced white onion (cilantro and limes for serving)
- In your slow cooker add beef, and all your seasonings.
- Add diced peppers, onions, jalapeño, red chilli pepper, enchilada sauce, and broth.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Once beef is tender, take two forks and shred.
- Serve on your choice or tortillas with diced white onion, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice! Feel free to serve with cauliflower rice for a low-carb option!
If you do not have a slow cooker, don’t worry, this can be done in a large pot. It will take 2-3 hours so be mindful of that if you are planning on leaving home.
If you love this recipe, try these easy Chicken Tacos.