These Shredded Chicken Tacos are warm, flavorful, and so easy to make! Bake them to tender perfection in the oven for crispy shells, and gooey melted cheese. Perfect for feeding a crowd, they can be served on their own or with your favorite sides!
Why You’ll Love These Shredded Chicken Tacos
If you’ve never tried baked tacos, you’re going to adore this recipe! It’s perfect for busy weeknights and the best way to feed a crowd for Taco Tuesday. Made with lean chicken and tons of flavor, it comes together in one dish so you’re not stuck cleaning in the kitchen all night long. Plus, they’re super easy to customize with all your favorite toppings! No matter how you serve your shredded chicken tacos, they’re guaranteed to have your guests running back for more.
Is This Chicken Taco Recipe Healthy?
Yes! You won’t believe how such simple ingredients can create such an incredible taste. Thanks to the use of chicken breast, these tacos are super high in protein. Then, we added black beans and veggies for tons of fiber and nutrients to keep you full. With a drizzle of olive oil, it’s even got healthy fats, too!
Ingredients You’ll Need
The secret to keeping your chicken tacos tender is to use plenty of liquid. Then, we bulked them up with extra ingredients and spices for tons of flavor. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken – Chicken breasts work best. Just be sure to pound them out until they’re thin so they bake evenly.
- Seasonings – Black pepper and a packet of taco seasoning are all you’ll need. Or, create your own with a homemade version like this.
- Olive Oil – High-quality olive oil helps lock in the flavor and keeps your chicken moist.
- Black Beans – We love to include black beans for added texture and fiber to keep you full.
- Veggies – A combination of diced red onion, diced tomatoes, and chipotle peppers adds tons of color and a hint of spice.
- Tortilla Shells – Corn tortilla shells work best to create a crisp, crunchy taco. Flour tortillas are likely to become too soggy as they bake!
- Cheese – You can never go wrong with cheddar cheese on top! We love to load our tacos up with shredded Cheddar, but use whatever cheese you like best. You could even top off your tacos with our queso dip.
How to Make Craveable Baked Chicken Tacos
Once you learn how easy and convenient it is to make baked tacos, you’ll never go back to the stovetop version again!
- Preheat the oven.
- Place the chicken, seasonings, and oil in a baking dish. Then, add the veggies an beans, and stir to combine.
- Cover, and bake until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Shred the chicken.
- Arrange tortillas in a slightly larger baking dish, and fill them with the chicken mixture. Add your shredded cheese and green onions, and bake again until the cheese is melty.
- Serve with all your favorite toppings and fixin’s, and dig in!
Taco Topping Options
When it comes to tacos, our philosophy is the more toppings the better. Go ahead and load them up! You really can’t go wrong. For example, some of our favorite options include:
- Greens – Shredded iceberg lettuce, romaine, or even arugula add a nice pop of color and extra nutrients.
- Jalapeños – These are great to amp up the heat!
- Pico de Gallo – Refreshing and delicious, this lightens up the whole dish.
- Salsa – There are endless salsa variations to add a little extra texture and spicy flavor to your tacos.
- Guacamole or Avocado Crema – The creamy texture and cool flavors are great to balance out the spice.
- Cilantro – Add just a sprinkle for a zesty garnish.
- Onions – Chopped or pickled onions are a great way to add a little crunch and just a bit of zip.
- Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream – These are great for a cooling, creamy taste! For added protein and less fat, use Greek yogurt over sour cream to achieve the same flavor.
More Ways to Use Shredded Chicken Taco Meat
Feel free to make a big batch of shredded chicken taco meat to enjoy throughout the week. Just hold off on adding it to your tortillas! Instead:
- Sprinkle it over lettuce for a Mexican-inspired salad.
- Serve it over rice or cauliflower rice for an easy
- Layer it over tortilla chips for the best nachos you’ll ever taste!
- Wrap it up in flour tortillas for soft tacos on the go.
What to Serve with Baked Chicken Tacos
If you want, you can definitely serve this recipe all on its own. However, it also pairs awesomely with all your favorite sides like:
What chicken is best for shredding?
Any boneless skinless chicken can be used for shredding!
Is pulled chicken the same as shredded chicken?
Not quite. Pulled chicken is made by preparing chicken in a slow cooker so that it is super tender and easy to just pull apart. Meanwhile, shredded chicken is made with normal baked chicken that is torn to pieces with two forks.
How long do shredded chicken tacos last?
If you have leftover tacos, you can keep them covered in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Then, for the best results, warm them in the oven to help keep the tortilla crisp.
Can I freeze leftovers?
Yes! If you want to freeze your chicken, prepare it as usual. Then, before adding it to your tortilla shells place it in an airtight container or sealable bag instead. Then, keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How should I reheat my tacos?
When you’re ready to eat, let your chicken thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, warm it in the microwave or skillet over medium heat. To assemble tacos, preheat your oven, stuff your shells, and bake for 10-12 minutes.
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes
Looking for more simple dinner ideas full of Mexican-inspired flavor? Take a look at these family favorites!
- A weeknight staple, you’ll make this Instant Pot Chicken Fajita recipe again and again!
- Shockingly simple, these Mini
Air FryerChicken Taquitos are the most delightful treat.
- A slow cooker variation of a traditional Mexican recipe, this Beef Birria is simmered long and slow with warm spices for a hearty recipe perfect for stew, tacos, and more!
- Bring all the flavor of your favorite restaurant dish to the comfort of your own home with this Easy One Pot Fajita Seasoned Rice.
Baked Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 16 ounces chicken breasts (pounded thin)
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasonings
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 12 ounces canned black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 14 ounces rotel or petite diced tomatoes
- 3 chipotle peppers (canned, chopped)
- 16 crunchy yellow or white corn tortilla shells (we used the "stand and stuff")
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- your favorite taco toppings!
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- In a 11x7 baking dish add chicken breasts, seasonings, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add onions, black beans, rotel, and chipotle peppers. Stir to combine. Cover, and bake for 50-55 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and has reached an internal temperature of 165° Fahrenheit.
- Shred chicken with two forks. Arrange the taco shells in an 13x9 baking dish. Add a couple of Tablespoons of the chicken mixture into each shell. Top with shredded cheese and green onions.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or just until the cheese melts. Top with garnishes of choice, and enjoy!