Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas are an easy weeknight meal made with minimal prep time and a total time of less than 30 minutes. Every bit as delicious as your favorite restaurant’s version, this recipe is served in lettuce wraps or tortillas for a meal you’ll make again and again.
Table of Contents
- Why Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas Will Be Your New Favorite Recipe
- What’s In Instant Pot Fajitas?
- Four Simple Steps To Make Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas with Ease
- Tips and Tricks for Success
- Serving Suggestions
- Topping Ideas
- How to Store and Reheat
- Common Questions About These Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- More Fajita-Inspired Meals
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas Recipe
Why Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas Will Be Your New Favorite Recipe
We love a good instant pot recipe like our Instant Pot Crack Chicken Pasta and these chicken fajitas! Not only are they quick to prepare, but they require minimal cleanup and deliver maximum flavor.
Even better, this recipe in particular requires no work beyond combing the ingredients and serving them up! As a result, you can easily prepare the ingredients in advance, and toss them together when you’re ready to cook.
Then, sit back, let the Instant Pot do the hard work, and come back to dinner waiting for you!
What’s In Instant Pot Fajitas?
We kept this ingredient list for this recipe simple, packing in loads of color, nutrients, and flavor with a handful of fresh items and plenty of seasonings. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken – We prefer to use boneless, skinless chicken breast, but chicken thighs will also work.
- Taco Seasoning – We almost always have homemade taco seasoning on hand, but you could also use store-bought taco seasoning packets.
- Veggies – Red onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, garlic cloves, jalapeño, canned diced tomatoes with chili peppers, and canned diced green chilis add bold color, lots of flavor, and tons of nutrients for a tasty, well-rounded dish.
- Optional Broth – We use low-sodium chicken broth to help create fall-apart tender chicken. However, if you prefer less liquid, feel free to omit the broth completely, and drain the diced tomatoes while you’re at it!
Four Simple Steps To Make Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas with Ease
This fajita recipe is one of the easiest meals you’ll ever make! With a cook time of less than 20 minutes, you’ll be in and out of the kitchen fast.
- Season the Chicken. Add the chicken to the bottom of the Instant Pot, and pour half of the spices on top. Flip the meat over, and add the remaining seasoning, distributing it evenly.
- Combine the Ingredients. Add the vegetables and broth, if using.
- Cook. Set the Instant Pot to cook on the “Manual” setting. Then, allow the pressure to release.
- Serve. Use two forks to shred the chicken into pieces, and enjoy right away while it’s still warm!
Tips and Tricks for Success
Thanks to the Instant Pot, this chicken fajita recipe is virtually failproof. However, as usual, we have a few extra tips for you.
- Make Chicken Strips. If you prefer slices of chicken, follow the instructions as normal, reducing the cooking time by just a couple of minutes. Then, transfer the chicken to a cutting board, allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes, and slice it into strips.
- Quick Release. We highly recommend using the quick-release method to get rid of the pressure and prevent your veggies from becoming too soft.
- Broil. If you want your fajita mixture to be crisp, transfer it to a baking sheet, pour the leftover liquid on top, and place it under the broiler for 3-5 minutes just until the top crisps up. Be careful not to let it burn!
There are endless ways to serve these Instant Pot fajitas, but some of our favorite options include:
- In lettuce wraps for a low-carb lunch.
- Stuffed into hard taco taco shells or soft tortillas.
- Over a bed of rice or one pot Mexican quinoa.
- On top of tortilla chips as nachos.
What Is the Best Kind of Lettuce to Use for Lettuce Wraps?
As long as your lettuce leaves are sturdy and symmetric, you can’t go wrong. Basically, when making lettuce wraps, you want to find lettuce that naturally forms a cup or a boat and is firm in texture. This will ensure that your filling will stay put while you eat your fajita wrap.
While a softer piece of lettuce isn’t the end of the world, it may add some challenges when you’re eating as it’s unlikely to hold its shape once you add something hot. As a result, flimsier lettuce can easily tear apart as you eat.
Ideally, you are looking for lettuce with some crunch. Iceberg lettuce, little gem lettuce, Boston lettuce, and bibb lettuce all work great for lettuce wraps. Make sure to get a head of lettuce that is large enough to fit your fillings!
These Instant Pot chicken fajitas are packed with flavor on their own, but you can never go wrong with extra toppings! Right?
Finish off your meal with options like:
- Mexican, Cheddar, or Cotija Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Sliced Avocado or Guacamole
How to Store and Reheat
Go ahead and make a double batch of this Instant Pot chicken fajitas recipe. Leftovers store well making for a great
- To Store: Once cooled, leftovers can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to four days.
- To Freeze: Transfer the mixture to an airtight container, or lay it flat in a sealable bag, and squeeze out all the air. It can be frozen for up to three months.
- To Reheat: Allow leftovers to thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, warm them in the microwave.
Common Questions About These Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
If your chicken turns out rubbery or tough, it likely either wasn’t cooked long enough or was cooked for too long!
Nope! You’ll want to add it to the Instant Pot whole. Slicing it ahead of time can actually cause it to be a bit tough.
Oil! Restaurants typically squirt oil onto hot plates before adding the fajita mixture, causing the food to sizzle.
Sure! Follow our easy chicken fajita recipe to make them in a skillet instead.
More Fajita-Inspired Meals
Looking for more ways to enjoy the flavor of fajitas? Try out the family-friendly recipes below!
- Easy Chicken Fajita Sandwiches
- Easy One Pot Fajita Seasoned Rice
- Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
- 2-4 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño seeded and chopped (optional)
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes with chili peppers such as rotel
- 4 ounces canned diced green chilis
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth see note below
- Place the raw chicken breast in the bottom of the instant pot. Pour half the spices over the chicken. Flip the chicken, and add the remaining seasonings, making sure to evenly distribute them across the chicken.1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, 2-4 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- Add the sliced red onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, garlic cloves, jalapeños, green chiles, broth (if using), and a can of Rotel tomatoes to the Instant Pot.1/2 medium red onion, sliced, 1 red bell pepper, sliced, 1 green bell pepper, sliced, 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced, 4 garlic cloves, minced, 1 jalapeño, 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes with chili peppers, 4 ounces canned diced green chilis, 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Cook for 14 minutes on the "Manual" setting.
- At the end of the cook time, allow the Instant Pot to quick release.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken into pieces. Serve warm in lettuce wraps or as desired with toppings of choice.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 dasy or in the freezer for up to 3 monhts.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.