Learn how to make taco seasoning at home, and you’ll never buy the store-bought packets again! The perfect combination of herbs and spices, this DIY seasoning is the perfect flavor addition to all your favorite recipes. Pair it with tacos, soups, and more!
DIY Taco Seasoning
You guys. We have a confession. It took us way too long to learn how to make our own taco seasoning! We always just assumed it would be so much easier to buy the stuff from the store. Boy were we wrong! Not only is this DIY taco seasoning faster to make than heading to your local grocery store, but it’s also super budget-friendly, and tastes better, too! Plus, unlike pre-made packets, it contains simple ingredients and no added sugars for a customizable spice blend that’s guaranteed to fit your needs. Not to mention, including herbs and spices in your diet is good for you, too! We promise once you make this homemade taco seasoning, you’ll never go back.
Simple Ingredients You’ll Need
The great thing about learning how to make taco seasoning is that you can add and subtract the ingredients to your liking. Feel free to experiment to make this blend your own. However, to get you started, we used:
- Oregano – This adds a peppery bite and just a hint of sweetness.
- Chili Powder – For a bit of extra heat.
- Paprika – This provides an incredible smoky taste and makes your seasoning extra pretty.
- Cumin – Bring an earthy, warm flavor with subtle notes of citrus.
- Garlic Powder – Punchy with sweet undertones we love.
- Onion Powder – This adds a subtle onion flavor that enhances every dish.
- Cayenne – For an extra kick of heat.
- Salt and Pepper – Add these to enhance the rest of the ingredients.
Note: To ensure your spices are fresh, look for bright colors, and buy online if you can! Spices in the stores are often already old meaning your taco seasoning won’t have as strong of a flavor.
How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
This is such a simple recipe, you don’t even need instructions! Just whisk all of the ingredients together until they’re well combined. However, in most taco-seasoned recipes, you’ll want to use the bend with a little liquid to coat the ingredients and create a sort of sauce.
How Long Does It Last?
This homemade taco seasoning recipe will stay fresh for up to 6 months! Just be sure to keep it in an airtight container at room temperature.
Pro-Tip: To extend the shelf-life of your spices, be sure to store them in a dark place and keep them out of the heat. Definitely don’t keep them next to the stove! The heat will cause them to dry out and turn bad.
Fun Recipes That Utilize This Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
Now that you’ve made your own taco seasoning, it’s time to put it to work with these amazing recipes.
- Baked to perfection, these Shredded Chicken Tacos are warm, flavorful, and so easy to make!
- Gluten-free and high in protein, this One Pot Mexican Quinoa Recipe is loaded with nutrients, fiber, and flavor for a quick plant-based meal.
- Bursting with flavor and incredibly delicious, this Chipotle Chicken Recipe makes
meal prepa breeze.
- An ultra-indulgent comfort food, this Queso Pasta doubles as a comfort food dinner or crowd-pleasing dip.
How to Make Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Mix together oregano, chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Store in an airtight container in a room temperature for up to 6 months.
You guys don’t know how happy I am that you finally posted this 🤣 Been going on this other website to look at it but it’s more convenient that it’s here!
Yay! Glad we got this up then! We will add more seasoning mixes soon too!