Even better than Chipotle, this Meal Prep Chipotle Chicken Recipe is absolutely bursting with flavor! Quick and easy, it’s a healthy recipe that’s perfect to get you through the week.
Why We Love This Chipotle Chicken Recipe
Who doesn’t love Chipotle? It always hits the spot when you need a healthy meal in a pinch. Truthfully, we could eat there every day. However, doing so wouldn’t be great for our wallets. So, we came up with our own version that’s even better than the original! This chipotle chicken recipe is:
- Super budget-friendly
- High-protein and low-fat
- Versatile to fit your needs
- Quick to make and perfect for
Flavor-Loaded Ingredients You’ll Need
The key to making this recipe taste so great is to first marinade the chicken. Then, we’ll combine all the ingredients to create a complete bowl. Here’s everything you’ll need:
For the Marinade
- Chicken – We prefer using chicken tenderloins because they’re easy to slice and absorb the marinade well. Breasts would be great, too. However, we don’t recommend using thighs, because they don’t absorb the marinade quite as well.
- Chipotle Chilis in Adobo Sauce – Add more or less chipotles depending on your spice preferences.
- Greek Yogurt – Because we’re including oil, we prefer to use low-fat yogurt.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – A high-quality oil adds tons of flavors and healthy fats while thinning out the mixture so that it evenly coats the chicken.
- Herbs and Spices – Cumin, chili powder, salt, black pepper, lime juice, and garlic cloves combine to pack plenty of heat with a refreshing hint of citrus zest.
For the Chipotle Chicken Bowl
- Veggies – Red, green, and yellow bell peppers add tons of color and nutrients. When combined with red onion, there’s plenty of zest, too!
- Seasonings – Taco seasoning helps enhance the Mexican-inspired taste with minimal work on your part.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – A dash of oil helps the seasoning stick to the veggies and allows for the best caramelization.
How to Make a Chipotle Chicken Bowl (2 Ways)
Our favorite way to make this chipotle chicken recipe is in the
For the Chicken:
- To begin, add all of the ingredients for the marinade to a food processor or high-speed blender. Pulse until smooth.
- Then, submerge the chicken in the marinade, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken with the veggies and seasonings for 3 minutes on each side or until heated through.
- Remove from the heat, and serve with your favorite grain and toppings of your choice.
Air Fryer Method
- Follow the instructions to create the marinade above.
- Toss the veggies with the seasonings and oil.
- Then, when ready to cook, preheat your
air fryerto 350° Fahrenheit.
- Add all of the ingredients, working in batches if necessary. Air fry for 15-18 minutes, shaking halfway through.
For the Veggies:
- Toss the veggies with seasonings and oil.
- Preheat your oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
- Arrange the veggies on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Do I Have to Marinate the Chicken?
Technically, no. You could just toss the seasonings together and cook. However, your chipotle chicken bowl won’t have half as much flavor as it does when you let the chicken soak in the marinade. This step is key to locking in the spices and keeping your chicken moist. Trust us, it’s worth the wait.
The great thing about this chipotle chicken recipe is how versatile it can be! One recipe can be served in countless different ways for meals you’ll be excited to eat all week. Some of our favorite ways to serve this chicken include:
- Over rice or quinoa
- Paired with cauliflower rice for a low-carb option
- Stuffed in a tortilla for a burrito warp
Don’t forget the toppings either! We pack our chipotle chicken in
Can I Make this Recipe Vegetarian?
Sure! To do so, just omit the chicken, and cook black beans with the marinade instead.
How Long Do Chipotle Chicken Bowls Last?
When stored in an airtight container, these chipotle chicken bowls will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Then, when you’re ready to eat, just pop them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until the desired temperature is reached.
Freezer Option: If you want to extend the shelf life of your chicken, place it in a sealable bag in the freezer for up to 4 months.
What Are the Best
Meal Prep Containers to Use?
Really any sealable containers will work just fine. However, for easy packed lunches and make-ahead dinners, we love these glass containers! They’re pre-portioned so you can keep your ingredients separate. Even better, they’re microwaveable, freezer, and dishwasher safe.
Keep food fresh, storage your food individually, make your life much more convenient and enjoy home-cooked meal anytime and anywhere.
More Tasty Chicken Recipes
Meal prep doesn’t get any better than simple chicken recipes. Try some more of our favorite family-friendly options to make mealtimes a breeze.
- Let us show you how easy Chicken Tikka Masala is to make at home!
- This Chicken Shawarma recipe is hearty, flavorful, and so simple to create.
- This Sheet Pan Chicken Thighs and Veggie Recipe is fast and easy for the ultimate sheet pan recipe.
- Sweet, spicy, and loaded with veggies, this Asian Chicken Bowl is a healthy
meal preprecipe that’s versatile for all your needs.
(Copycat) Meal Prep Chipotle Chicken Recipe
For the Marinade:
- ¼ cup chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- 6 ounces low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
For the Chicken Bowls:
- 2 pounds chicken tenderloins (trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium red onion (chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the Marinade:
- In a small food processor or high-speed blender, add all of the ingredients for the marinade. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour the marinade into a sealable bag or airtight container.
- Submerge the chicken in the marinade, ensuring it is completely coated.
- Marinate in the fridge at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
For the Chicken:
- Heat a non-stick grill pan over medium heat. Spray with coconut oil spray. Place the chicken on the pan, and cook for 3-4 minutes on one side.
- Flip over, and cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165° F.
Air Fryer Method:
- Preheat the air fryer to 350° F.
- Grease the basket, and air fry the chicken 15-18 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165° F, shaking halfway through.
For the Veggies:
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Line a baking sheet, and set aside.
- Slice the peppers and onions into thin strips.
- Place the veggies on the baking sheet in a single layer, and drizzle with olive oil and taco seasoning. Toss to coat.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- To serve, combine the chicken and veggies with rice, cauliflower, rice, or quinoa. Top with salsa, sour creams, and lime wedges, if desired. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
I would like to know where you found the snap-tight glass containers with the dividers. I keep searching for the same and haven’t found them in stores or online!
Yes! Here you go!
Alia and Radwa