The ultimate comfort food, this Spinach and Artichoke Baked Grilled Cheese takes the childhood classic to the next level with a creamy, irresistible filling. Quick to make and an absolute favorite recipe, baked grilled cheese is perfect for feeding a crowd. Serve it on its own or with your favorite soup or salad for a crazy good meal!
Table of Contents
Why We Love Spinach and Artichoke Baked Grilled Cheese
With variations like Spanakopita Grilled Cheese and Roasted Garlic and Broccoli Grilled Cheese, it’s pretty obvious we’re big fans of baked grilled cheese. However, this spinach and artichoke version might be our best combination yet! Seriously, it’s the best comfort food you’ll ever make.
Featuring a creamy spinach and artichoke dip-inspired filling and thick challah bread, it’s the best of both worlds and every bite is seriously to-die-for! It’s made with just a hint of spice thanks to the Pepper Jack Cheese. Plus, thick Challah bread is soaked in a creamy custard mixture for a soft interior and crispy crunch in every bite. We’re drooling just thinking about it!
Whip these sandwiches up in about 30 minutes! They’re an easy recipe that’s guaranteed to satisfy even the pickiest of crowds. They’re super tasty on their own or paired with your favorite salads and soups for a complete meal.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese
Inspired by traditional spinach and artichoke dip, this baked grilled cheese requires just a few simple ingredients to create an irresistible taste that will have your guests licking their fingers and begging for more! Here’s what you’ll need.
- Bread – We prefer to use Challah bread, but any thick, crusty bread you like best will work great.
- Cheese – Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese is ideal for creating the creamy texture we want while also adding just a hint of spice!
- Veggies – Fresh spinach and canned artichoke hearts combine to recreate the flavors of your favorite dip.
- Eggs – These help lock in the moisture of the bread and create the crispy exterior you’ll look forward to biting into.
- Milk – Whole milk creates the most decadent flavor, but any milk you have on hand will do.
- Salt and Pepper – Season your baked grilled cheese to taste!
How to Make Baked Grilled Cheese
Somewhere between grilled cheese and french toast, this baked grilled cheese recipe couldn’t be simpler to make!
- Whisk the eggs and milk together. Then, add a pinch of salt, and stir to combine.
- Slice the Challah bread roughly 1-inch thick.
- Butter a baking dish, and arrange half of the Challah bread in the bottom.
- Layer ⅓ of the cheese over the bread followed by the spinach and artichoke hearts. Then, cover the veggies with another ⅓ of the cheese, and add the remaining bread on top.
- Pour the egg mixture on top, coating the bread completely.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Cover and refrigerate the baking dish for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven, and bake your spinach and artichoke grilled cheese until the cheese has melted and the bread is a crisp golden brown.
Thanks to the protein from the cheese and nutrient-rich veggies, you can definitely serve this recipe on its own. However, if you really want to up to comfort factor, serve it with a warm soup like Roasted Tomato Soup or Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup! Or, for a lighter option, pair it with a refreshing salad such as a Green Goddess or Greek Salad.
Can I Make Baked Grilled Cheese Ahead of Time?
Yes! While we don’t recommend freezing leftovers, they can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, just warm them in a skillet over medium heat until the desired temperature is reached.
More Spinach and Artichoke Recipes
A highly underrated combination, spinach and artichokes can be used in so many different ways! Some of our favorite recipes include:
- A filling meal, this Spinach and Artichoke Pasta is creamy, comforting, and so delicious!
- This Homemade Garlic Bread with Spinach and Artichokes is overflowing with gooey cheese and veggies for a comfort food recipe that tastes just like your favorite artichoke dip.
- These Spinach and Artichoke Bread Boats are a fun appetizer we know you’re going to love!
- A flavorful twist on viral baked pasta, this Spinach and Artichoke Baked Pasta is one dinner the whole family will be drooling over.
Spinach and Artichoke Baked Grilled Cheese
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup whole milk or milk of choice
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 loaf Challah bread
- 8 ounces block Monterrey Jack Cheese freshly grated (or Pepper Jack cheese)
- 4 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 14 ounces canned quartered artichoke hearts
- In a large measuring cup whisk together eggs and milk. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Slice the Challah bread into 8-12 pieces approximately 1 inch thick.
- Place 5-6 slices of the bread in a 12×8 inch buttered baking dish.
- Add 1/3rd of the grated cheese to cover the bread. Then, arrange the fresh spinach, artichoke hearts, and 1/3 of cheese. Cover with the remainign Challah.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the bread. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Once ready to bake preheat the oven to 350° F. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.