A garlic lover’s dream, this easy cheesy garlic bread recipe is a pull-apart bread made with melted cheese, fresh herbs, and crisp Italian bread. Pair it with soup, salad, pasta, and more!
Table of Contents
- Cheesy Garlic Bread (Pull Apart Bread)
- What Is Cheesy Garlic Pull Apart Bread?
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- How to Make This Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe
- Tips and Tricks
- Make Ahead and Storage Options
- Cheesy Garlic Bread Common Questions
- More Delicious Bread Recipes
- Cheesy Garlic Bread (Pull Apart Bread) Recipe
Cheesy Garlic Bread (Pull Apart Bread)
There’s nothing better than a warm piece of garlic bread served straight from the oven! Especially when it’s paired with a bowl of spicy tomato soup or oven baked spaghetti, and this recipe is to-die-for. Crisp on the outside yet soft and tender on the inside and absolutely oozing with creamy, cheesy goodness it’s easy to make and will have your family begging for seconds. Whether you serve this cheesy garlic bread recipe as a side dish with dinner or bring it to a party as an appetizer or potluck contribution, it’s always an absolute hit!
What Is Cheesy Garlic Pull Apart Bread?
Cheesy garlic pull apart bread is exactly what it sounds like! Unlike regular cheesy garlic bread that is completely sliced and served in pieces, pull apart bread is served as a complete loaf that has been partially sliced into. As a result, it is easy to “pull apart” pieces without tearing the loaf to pieces.
What Does It Taste Like?
Incredible! This cheesy garlic bread recipe has a soft interior and a thick, crusty exterior, and every inch is coated in cheesy, buttery goodness. As it bakes, the butter and cheese melt into the bread, infusing it with a savory, herbaceous flavor.
Ingredients You’ll Need
The ingredients needed for this cheesy garlic pull apart bread is super simple. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Bread – Use a pre-made bread loaf for easy baking! We like white Italian loaves or sourdough best.
- Garlic – For a bold flavor, we use a whole head of garlic and roast it in the oven!
- Olive Oil – This is essential to help caramelize the garlic and bring out its natural flavor.
- Butter – Unsalted butter works best so as not to overpower the rest of the ingredients. Just make sure your butter is at room temperature for easy mixing and spreading!
- Salt and Pepper – Used to enhance the taste of the rest of the ingredients.
- Parsley – Fresh flat leaf Italian parsley adds a bright flavor helping to balance out the heaviness of the rest of the ingredients. If preferred, dried parsley could be used as well.
- Cheese – A combination of shredded Mozzarella and Parmesan makes this cheesy garlic bread out-of-this-world delicious.
How to Make This Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe
Tastier than any frozen garlic bread options you’ll find, this cheesy garlic bread recipe is super easy to make!
- Prepare the garlic. To begin, preheat your oven, and peel off the outer layers of the whole head of garlic. Make sure to leave the cloves intact! Then, using a sharp knife, slice off the top ¼ of the garlic head to expose the garlic underneath. Drizzle olive oil on top, and add a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Bake the garlic. Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil, and bake for 40 minutes. Then, set it aside to cool.
- Prepare the butter mixture. Once cooled, squeeze the roasted garlic cloves into a large mixing bowl. Then, add the room-temperature butter, parsley, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Slice the bread. Cutting vertically, make ½ inch cuts into the bread loaf, slicing 90% of the way down. You want to make sure not to cut all the way through!
- Spread the butter. Spread the prepared compound butter mixture between each layer of bread and on top. Then, sprinkle the shredded Mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake. Wrap the bread in aluminum foil, and bake until the cheese is melted and the edges are crisp.
- Serve. Remove the bread from the oven, and serve warm using a knife to fully slice the pieces or your hands to simply pull it apart!
Tips and Tricks
- Soften your butter. You’ll want to let your butter sit out at room temperature for at least an hour before making this cheesy garlic bread recipe.
- For slightly crispier garlic bread, allow it to broil for 1-2 minutes before removing it from the oven.
- Wait a few minutes before slicing. This will allow the cheese to set slightly and allow for easy serving.
Make Ahead and Storage Options
It’s rare that we ever have leftovers. However, if you do, they can be placed in a sealable bag or airtight container and stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. Or, for longers lasting cheesy garlic bread, wrap your leftovers in foil, and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months!
Cheesy Garlic Bread Common Questions
For this recipe, we recommend using a long loaf that has a thick crust and a soft, fluffy center like an Italian loaf or sourdough. You’ll want to avoid breads like French baguettes and Challah as they don’t stand up to the heat of the oven, allow for absorption, or pair with the savory flavor combination of cheesy garlic bread well.
Compound butter sounds fancy, but it’s actually really easy to make! Essentially, it is just a stick of butter that has had herbs and spices folded into it. To make it, all you have to do is fold your herbs and spices into softened butter until they are well distributed.
For this cheesy garlic pull apart bread, we kept the recipe simple. However, you can include a wide variety of mix-ins including garlic, shallots, and lemon zest! Then, use it right away. Or, roll it into a ball, wrap it with
More Delicious Bread Recipes
Looking for more homemade bread recipes? Try out some of our favorites below!
- No Knead Focaccia Bread Art
- Olive Cheese Bread
- No Knead Cheesy Focaccia Bread
- Homemade Garlic Bread with Spinach and Artichokes
Cheesy Garlic Bread (Pull Apart Bread)
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 Tablespons olive oil
- 8 Tablespons unsalted room temperature butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper more or less to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Peel the outer layers of the whole head of garlic. Making sure to leave the garlic cloves intact.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the top 1/4 off the head of garlic to expose the cloves underneath. Drizzle olive oil on top, and add a dash of salt and pepper. Cover the garlic with aluminum foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove the garlic from the oven, and set it aside to cool.
- Once the garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze the cloves into a large mixing bowl. Add the room temperature butter, parsley, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Mix until smooth.
- Slicing downward, make 1/2 inch wide cuts in the bread, stopping just before it is sliced all the way through. Spread the prepared compound butter mixture between each slice and on top. Wrap the bread loaf with aluminum foil, covering it completely.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bread is crisp on the outside.
- Remove the loaf from the oven, and leave it to sit for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm, slicing completely or pulling the loaf apart with hands.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.