A simple, authentic Middle Eastern dish, this Tahini Salad recipe is made with a base of fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onions tossed with a creamy tahini dressing. Tangy, nutty, and refreshing, it’s traditionally served over a bed of rice but can be enjoyed in a wide variety of ways!
Table of Contents
- Why This Cucumber Tomato Tahini Salad Recipe Is Tantalizing
- What Is Tahini Salad Made Of?
- What Is Tahini and How Do You Use It?
- How to Make an Easy Tahini Salad Recipe
- Tips for the Best Results
- Flavor Variations
- Serving Suggestions
- Can I Make Tahini Salad Ahead of Time?
- How Should I Store Leftovers?
- Common Questions About This Easy Tahini Salad Recipe
- More Delicious Salad Recipes
- Cucumber Tomato Tahini Salad Recipe
Why This Cucumber Tomato Tahini Salad Recipe Is Tantalizing
This salad is a popular recipe throughout the Middle East and Egypt and is one we grew up eating! Although it might not look like your average salad recipe, it’s one we guarantee you’ll find yourself making again and again.
You see, unlike a standard side salad recipe such as an Italian chopped salad or even a Greek salad that features crisp veggies and just a touch of dressing, traditional tahini salad is smothered in the tangy, vibrant dressing (which is really more of a sauce). It features finely chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, and fresh herbs for a recipe that’s nutritious, refreshing, and great to complement all your favorite dishes like beef kofta and Middle Eastern chicken.
Not to mention this authentic tahini salad recipe is:
- Made with a handful of healthy ingredients.
- Created with minimal prep time and zero cooking time.
- Easy to make ahead of time.
- The perfect side dish or appetizer for all your favorite meals.
What Is Tahini Salad Made Of?
As with many Middle Eastern recipes, this salad uses a handful of fresh ingredients to create a vibrant, bold flavor that’s savory, tangy, refreshing, and nutty all at once! Here’s what you need:
- Vegetables – Tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onion form the base of the salad. We recommend using Persian cucumbers, because they have a thinner skin, smaller seeds, and a sweeter taste. However, English cucumbers can also be used.
- Fresh Parsley – We also keep fresh parsley stored in the fridge! It adds bright, peppery notes that balance out the heaviness of the tahini.
- Garlic Cloves – Use whole, fresh garlic cloves for a pungent, sweet taste.
- Lime Juice – For hte best results, use freshly squeezed lime juice not the stuff from a bottle!
- Vinegar – White vinegar adds a tangy taste.
- Seasonings – Salt and cumin are included to enhance the rest of the ingredients and add a hint of spice.
What Is Tahini and How Do You Use It?
Tahini is a type of paste or spread made from ground sesame seeds. Smooth and creamy, it’s a stapel in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine!
How to Make an Easy Tahini Salad Recipe
This recipe is seriously so easy! It’s our go-to when we need something quick and either can’t be bothered to cook or don’t know what to make.
- Prepare the Salad. In a large bowl, add the diced tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, parsley, and garlic.
- Flavor. Squeeze the lime juice on top followed by the vinegar, seasonings, and tahini.
- Toss. Gently toss to combine and coat the ingredients.
Tips for the Best Results
- Dice Evenly. Dice the vegetables as finely and as evenly as possible to ensure you get a bite of everything in every bite. We use a vegetable chopper to make life easy!
- Toss Well. Be sure to coat your ingredients completely, and give them a good toss again just before scooping and serving.
- Use High-Quality Tahini. Because there are so few ingredients, it’s important to use high-quality items, particularly the tahini! You want to look for one containing just sesame seeds and not any added sugars or oils.
The beauty in how simple this tahini salad is is that it can easily be customized to fit all your flavor preferences for a dish that is truly unique! For instance, if you want to switch things up, try out some of the variations below.
- Spice It Up. Mix in jalapeño peppers or Aleppo pepper for a kick of heat.
- Bulk It Up. Feel free to add extra veggies for even more volume and nutrients!
- Add A Hint of Sweetness. Drizzle in a little bit of maple syrup or honey to mellow out some of the bitterness of the tahini.
- Swap Out the Herbs. Mix and match any herbs you have on hand such as fresh mint, oregano, cilantro, dill, or basil.
- Try Different Citrus. Create a different taste by swapping the lime juice with lemon juice or orange juice instead.
There’s no right or wrong way to enjoy this cucumber tomato tahini salad! However some of our favorite pairings to transform it into a complete meal include:
Can I Make Tahini Salad Ahead of Time?
This recipe is best enjoyed right away. However, if needed, it can be made up to a day in advance.
Just leave out the parsley until just before serving. And be sure to give it a good toss to redistribute the ingredients!
How Should I Store Leftovers?
Store the tahini dressing and salad in separate airight containers in the fridge.
- The salad will stay fresh for up to three days.
- The tahini sauce will stay fresh for up to one day.
Tip: If the dressing becomes thick, add a splash of water or lime juice to loosen it back up before tossing it with the salad!
Common Questions About This Easy Tahini Salad Recipe
Sure! Typically, tahini is combined with other ingredients, because it has a pretty strong, slightly bitter taste. However, it’s totally safe to eat and really tasty on its own.
If you plan on storing your tahini longer than a couple of weeks, it’s best to transfer it to the fridge to help keep it fresh.
Tahini and peanut butter are very similar in their nutritional profile. Peanut butter has slightly more protein, but both options are a good source of healthy fats!
This salad is best enjoyed right away. However, once tossed together, it can be stored in an airgiht container in the fridge for up to three days.
If needed, you can replace the tahini with any other nut or seed butter like almond butter or cashew butter. Just note that the taste and texture will change slightly.
Whisk the vinegar and tahini together before adding them to the salad. Or, you could stir in a small splash of water to help emulsify (blend) the mixture.
More Delicious Salad Recipes
Looking for more salad recipes that are anything but boring? Try out the options below!
Cucumber Tomato Tahini Salad
- 1 large tomato diced
- 4 small Persian cucumbers diced
- 1/2 small red onion diced
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves grated
- Juice of 2 limes about 7 Tablespoons
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 cup tahini
- Combine the diced tomato, Persian cucumbers, red onion, parsley, and grated garlic in a large bowl.1 large tomato, 4 small Persian cucumbers, 1/2 small red onion, 3/4 cup fresh parsley, 3 garlic cloves
- Squeeze in the juice of 2 limes (around 7 tbsp).Juice of 2 limes
- Add the salt, vinegar, cumin, and tahini to the bowl.1 1/4 teaspoons salt, 1 Tablespoon white vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 3/4 cup tahini
- Mix everything well to blend the flavors. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve immediately for the freshest taste!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.