Egyptian Baked Rice aka Roz Maamar
- 4 cups short grain rice
- 8 tbsp room temperature butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2-3 tsp black pepper more or less to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- 1 cup *clotted cream aka ishta
- 2 cups beef broth
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash the rice until water runs clear. Do not skip this step!
- In a bowl, add rice, salt and pepper. Mix until rice is combined with the salt and pepper.
- In a 4 qt dutch oven add butter and spread until the inside is completely coated. Add sour cream and do the same. Make sure to spread an even layer across the inside of the dutch oven.
- Add rice, heavy cream (or milk), clotted cream (see note below), and broth. Cover and cook for 2 hours. Remove from oven and serve immediately.