This Middle Eastern Beef Chili Recipe takes traditional beef chili to a new level with the addition of warm spices, fava beans, and chickpeas! A hearty meal, it’s super filling and perfect for cold winter days. Serve it on its own or with a side of pita bread for an ultra comforting dinner you’ll love!
Table of Contents
Middle Eastern Beef Chili Recipe
As soon as the temperatures begin to drop we find ourselves craving all of the warm, comforting dinners like roasted tomato soup, slow cooker potato soup, and, of course, chili! However, one of our favorite things to do is take our favorite classic recipes and give them a Middle Eastern flair. So, with fall in full swing, we thought it was only fitting that we gave our traditional beef chili recipe a bit of a makeover by adding in fava beans, chickpeas, and spices like cumin, paprika, and chili powder.
Honestly, it couldn’t have turned out more delicious! Warm, hearty, comforting, and super filling, it had all of our family members coming back for seconds, and the leftovers tasted even better the next day. Plus, it’s loaded with protein and fiber to keep you full and satisfied and pairs perfectly with crackers, bread, and more. Budget-friendly and quick to make, it’s guaranteed to become a staple in your home.
Ingredients You’ll Need
This recipe takes the traditional components of chili with a few extra additions! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Meat – We use lean ground beef, but turkey or even chicken would work, too!
- Beans – A combination of fava beans and garbanzo beans (chickpeas) add a nice texture, tons of fiber, and a boost of plant-based protein.
- Herbs and Spices – Fresh garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, coriander, chili powder, cardamom, allspice, and bay leaves create a robust flavor that’s slightly spicy and completely irresistible!
- Veggies – Red pepper and yellow onion add extra nutrients.
- Broth – Low-sodium beef broth or stock helps thin out the ingredients, creating the best texture.
Note: Feel free to add a dollop of harissa paste for a little extra kick!
How to Make Slow Cooker Beef Chili
Comfort food doesn’t get any better than this beef chili recipe thanks to the use of our slow cooker! Just follow the instructions below:
- Brown the meat: In a large pot on medium-high heat. Drain the fat, reduce the heat to medium, and continue to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Combine the ingredients: Add the cooked beef to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Cook: Cover the slow cooker, and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- Serve: Divide the beef chili into bowls, add your toppings of choice, and serve warm.
This beef chili tastes incredible all on its own, but toppings and sides always make things even better, right?! We love topping our bowls with extra chickpeas, fresh parsley, mint, feta cheese, and cucumber slices. It also pairs perfectly with cornbread, crackers, and no knead focaccia!
Storage and Freezing
One of the best make-ahead recipes, leftover chili can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. Or, keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months!
When you’re ready to eat, let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, warm it in the microwave, or place it back in the slow cooker or on the stovetop until it’s heated through.
Can I Make this Beef Chili Recipe on the Stovetop?
Sure! We haven’t tested it, but the process should be about the same. Just brown the beef in a large pot, add the ingredients, and let them simmer covered on low.
More Comforting Recipes You’ll Love
Looking for more warm soups, stews, and chilis? Try out these family favorite recipes!
- This Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is budget-friendly, quick to make, and so tasty it will blow your mind.
- There’s nothing more satisfying than coming home to a hot Slow Cooker Beef Pot Roast recipe!
- Perfect for fall and winter, this Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup couldn’t be easier to make!
- This Minestrone Soup is a homemade version of Olive Garden’s famous recipe that tastes just like the real deal.
Middle Eastern Beef Chili Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 16 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 16 ounce can fava beans beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth or stock
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt more or less to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper more or less to taste
- 3 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 bay leafs
- Optional: 1-3 teaspoons Harissa paste
- Optional Toppings: chickpeas parsley, fresh mint, feta cheese, cucumber sauce
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, add the ground beef. Cook until no longer pink, and drain the fat. Reduce the heat to medium, and continue to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cooked beef to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients – chickpeas, fava beans, garlic, bell pepper, onion, broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, coriander, chili powder, cardamom, allspice, bay leaves, and Harissa, if using.
- Cover, and set the slow cooker on high for 2 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.