Perfect for fall and winter, this Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup couldn’t be easier to make! Just like chicken noodle soup but better, it’s loaded with flavorful rice, plenty of veggies, and a creamy base for a comfort food you’ll look forward to eating. Serve on its own or with your favorite sides!
Why We Love Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Growing up, chicken wild rice soup was one of our favorite meals. Now that we’re grown, we continue to make our mom’s version for our own families. However, instead of spending hours over a hot stove, we just dump the ingredients in the slow cooker and come back when they’re done! Full of veggies and chicken, we love that this soup is nutrient-dense and high in protein. Meanwhile, our kids love the creamy broth and hearty wild rice. Budget-friendly and perfect on cold winter days, it’s one meal everyone can always agree on!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Thick, creamy, and full of chicken, veggies, and rice, this chicken wild rice soup has everything you need for a well-rounded meal!
- Veggies – Celery, carrots, and yellow onion add a bit of crunch and enhance the nutrient profile of this dish.
- Garlic – For the best taste, use fresh garlic instead of the pre-minced kind.
- Chicken – We prefer to use breasts, but thighs would work, too!
- Seasonings – Salt, black pepper, oregano, and bay leaves are all you’ll need.
- Broth – This helps cook the rice and adds an extra savory taste to the chicken and wild rice soup.
- Milk and Heavy Cream – Once combined, these create the extra creamy broth we’re looking to achieve. For the absolute best soup use whole milk and full-fat cream.
- Flour – Use all-purpose flour to form a roux to thicken the soup. If needed, a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour alternative should work just fine.
- Butter – Everything tastes better with butter!
- Rice – We used a combination of long grain and wild rice and included the extra seasoning packet that came with it.
How to Make Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
One of our favorite things about slow cooker recipes is how convenient they are to make! With minimal prep work, you can start them in the morning and come home to a complete meal just waiting for you!
- Chop all of your veggies.
- Add everything except for the butter, flour, milk, and heavy cream to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 2 hours. Then, remove the chicken, shred it with two forks, and add it back to the slow cooker.
- Then, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the flour, stirring constantly to create a roux.
- Add the mixture to the slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Continue to cook on high until the soup has thickened, and serve warm!
What Goes with Chicken and Wild Rice Soup?
You can definitely serve this chicken and wild rice soup on its own for a super satisfying meal. However, it also pairs well with all your favorite sides for the most amazing comfort food that warms you from the inside out on even the coldest of days.
Some of our favorite pairings include:
- No Knead Cheesy Focaccia Bread
- Green Goddess Salad
- Lemon Greek Potatoes
- Whipped Feta with Roasted Olives
We don’t recommend freezing this recipe, because the dairy is likely to split and curdle. However, you can keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days!
Should I cook wild rice before adding it to the soup?
We don’t! Thanks to the slow cooking time and use of broth, the rice cooks on its own. If you want to make it ahead of time or use up leftovers, reduce the amount of broth used, and add the rice near the end of cooking just so it warms.
Does wild rice need to be rinsed?
Of course, follow the package instructions on your rice. However, in general, wild rice should be rinsed to prevent it from sticking together and becoming gummy.
Can I use leftover chicken or turkey for this recipe?
Sure! Just skip adding it to the slow cooker at the beginning of cooking, and stir it in at the end to allow it to warm.
Can I make chicken wild rice soup in the instant pot?
Yes! To do so, add the veggies, chicken, seasonings, and broth to the Instant Pot. Then, cook on high pressure for 30-40 minutes. Remove the chicken, and shred it with two forks. Create a roux on the stovetop, and add it back to the pot along with the chicken, milk, and cream. Stir to combine, and dig in!
More Warming Soup Recipes
If like us, you could eat soup all day every day, you’re going to adore these recipes!
- A classic comfort food, this Roasted Tomato Soup is a vegetarian option that tastes even better than the canned version you grew up loving.
- Healthy and tasty, too, this Minestrone Soup is guaranteed to warm you from the inside out!
- Our favorite childhood soup, this Egyptian Lentil Soup is an easy twist on our mom’s infamous recipe.
- Low-carb and plant-based, this Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower soup is loaded with vegetables and tastes absolutely divine!
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- 4 ribs chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 medium chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces long grain & wild rice with seasoning packet
- Chop all the veggies. Dump all the ingredients except for the butter, flour, milk, and heavy cream into the slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on high for 2 hours. Remove chicken, shred with two forks, and place it back in the slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- In a pan on medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, to form a roux.
- Add the roux to the slow cooker along with the milk and heavy cream. Stir to combine. Continue to cook on high for an additional 30 minutes or until the soup has thickened.
- Spoon into bowls, and serve warm.