Are you ready to cozy up to the ultimate comfort food? This easy slow cooker lentil soup is a medley of veggies, lentils, and warm seasonings that come together seamlessly in your slow cooker. It’s warm, savory, filling, and the perfect set-it-and-forget-it dish for both
Table of Contents
- Lentils Like You’ve Never Had Them Before!
- Ingredients You Need
- Skip the Stove, and Make This Slow Cooker Lentil Soup Recipe Instead
- Flavor Variations
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat
- Common Questions About This Easy Lentil Soup Recipe
- More Easy Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Lentil Soup Recipe
Lentils Like You’ve Never Had Them Before!
We’re big fans of lentils here at Food Dolls with recipes like our lentil salad and lentil mango salad! However, when the weather turns cold, we find ourselves craving something a little more warm and cozy.
That’s where this slow cooker lentil soup comes in to save the day! Made with a flavorful broth and lots of veggies, it’s warm, hearty, and oh-so-tasty.
Even better, all you have to do is combine the ingredients in the morning and come back to dinner waiting for you! Pair your soup with a salad or side of bread, and you’ve got a nutrient-packed dinner in a matter of minutes.
Ingredients You Need
Below is an overview of the ingredients and instructions to make this recipe. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card below for the complete details and nutrition information!
- Veggies – Yellow onion or white onion, carrots, celery, garlic, green beans, crushed tomatoes, baby potatoes, and spinach or kale combine for a nutrient-packed dish.
- Lentils – Use dried brown lentils or green lentils.
- Seasonings – Paprika, oregano, thyme, salt, black pepper, and parsley create a savory taste with just a touch of heat.
- Water – Feel free to substitute low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth for even more flavor.
- Lemon Juice – Freshly squeezed is best! The acidity adds a touch of brightness, creating a well-rounded taste.
Skip the Stove, and Make This Slow Cooker Lentil Soup Recipe Instead
- Combine. Add all the ingredients except for the greens, lemon juice, parsley, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook. Cover the slow cooker, and cook until the lentils are tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Stir in the greens, and allow them to wilt. Then, season to taste, and add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Serve. Ladle the soup into bowls, top it with fresh parsley, and enjoy warm!
- Add Cheese – Feel free to add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast for added deliciousness.
- Include Protein – Make this easy lentil soup recipe even more filling by stirring in sausage, ground beef, ground chicken, or ground turkey.
This slow cooker lentil soup recipe is a meal so well-rounded and satisfying that it’s ready to steal the spotlight on its own. No need for side dishes or elaborate accompaniments; this soup is a complete feast in a bowl! But you can also serve it with a side of cornbread, naan, focaccia, or artisan bread for dipping!
If you want to add even more veggies to your meal, try serving your soup alongside a salad as well. Some of our favorite options include Middle Eastern cobb salad, Lebanese fattoush salad, and roasted eggplant salad.
How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four to five days.
- Freeze your lentil soup for two to three months. Thaw in the fridge overnight when you’re ready to serve.
- Reheat the soup in a pot on the stovetop over medium heat or in the microwave.
Common Questions About This Easy Lentil Soup Recipe
No, it’s not necessary to soak lentils before slow cooking. However, doing so can help reduce the cooking time and make them easier to digest.
Yes, we recommend rinsing your lentils to remove any dirt or debris that may be present.
Yes, overcooked lentils will become mushy. Keep an eye on your slow cooker, and stop cooking once the lentils are tender.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Easy Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Feta
- Creamy Mushroom Soup
- The Best Crockpot Vegetable Soup
Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 carrots about 1 cup, diced
- 4 celery ribs diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup green beans cut into 1-inch pieces (fresh or frozen)
- 1 can 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound baby potatoes diced
- 1 1/2 cups dried brown or green lentils
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth + more as needed
- Optional: 2 handfuls of baby spinach or kale
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- Mineral salt & black pepper to taste
- In the slow cooker, add all the ingredients except for the optional greens (spinach or kale), lemon juice, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Stir everything together in the slow cooker until well combined.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid, and set it to cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or on LOW for 8-10 hours.
- About 5 minutes before the soup is done, stir in the optional greens (spinach or kale), and let them wilt.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into the soup, and give it a final stir.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, and garnish each serving with a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley.
- Serve hot and enjoy! It pairs well with homemade vegan cornbread, vegan naan, or artisan bread.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.