This Creamy Mushroom Soup Recipe is made with a rich, velvety broth, sweet onions, and bright herbs for a savory comfort food that blows canned mushroom soup out of the water. Serve it on its own, with your favorite appetizer, or even as a side!
Table of Contents
One bite of this homemade creamy mushroom soup recipe, and you’ll never go back to salty canned varieties again! Made with a handful of simple ingredients and free from the wine you’ll find in many cream of mushroom soup recipes, it has a bold, savory flavor and a velvety texture you’ll adore.
It’s simple enough for every day yet elegant enough for gatherings with friends and holiday parties. Top it off with fresh herbs or crunchy croutons, and all your loved ones will be begging for the recipe!
What’s in Creamy Mushroom Soup?
You won’t find any preservatives in this recipe. Instead, we use basic ingredients to create a flavor that is out of this world.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is best.
- Oil – Olive oil or avocado oil helps sauté the veggies, enhancing their flavor.
- Aromatics – White or yellow onion and garlic create a savory, sweet taste.
- Mushrooms – We use brown mushrooms, but any variety you like best will taste great.
- Thyme – Make sure it’s fresh!
- Flour – Regular all-purpose flour forms a sort of roux, helping to thicken the broth. If needed, opt for a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour.
- Broth – Chicken broth or stock or vegetable broth forms the base of the broth. Look for low-sodium varieties!
- Salt and Black Pepper – Adjust to taste.
- Heavy Cream – Feel free to substitute half and half or evaporated milk, if preferred.
Whipping Up Creamy Mushroom Soup: A Step-by-Step Guide
With just one pot virtually no prep time and a quick cook time, this mushroom soup recipe is truly a dream come true!
- Melt the butter and oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion until softened. Then, add the garlic, and continue to cook until fragrant. Be careful not to let it burn!
- Stir in the mushrooms and thyme, and cook until the mushrooms soften.
- Form the broth by stirring the flour in with the veggies, mixing thoroughly. Then, add the broth, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper, and allow the soup to simmer until it thickens.
- Reduce the heat to low, and stir in the heavy cream. Be careful not to let it boil!
- Season to taste, adding more salt and pepper, fresh parsley, and thyme as desired.
We love to serve this soup topped with crisp croutons or with a side of thick, crusty bread like our no knead cheesy focaccia or no knead olive focaccia bread! For a lighter option, it’s also tasty paired with a refreshing salad or a side of parmesan Brussels sprouts.
Common Questions About This Creamy Mushroom Soup Recipe
Flour or cornstarch work well to thicken mushroom soup.
Baby bella mushrooms, button mushrooms, or a combination of both are our favorite mushrooms to use! They create a savory, woody flavor that pairs wonderfully with the rich, creamy broth.
Once cooled, leftovers can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to three days.
Unfortunately, we don’t recommend freezing this soup as it doesn’t thaw well.
Sure, just use your favorite plant-based butter, coconut cream, and vegetable broth.
Try mixing in cooked chicken, ground turkey, Italian sausage, or even crumbles of bacon!
More Homemade Soup Recipes
- Easy Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Easy French Onion Soup Recipe
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
- The Best Broccoli & Cheese Soup
Creamy Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh brown mushrooms diced
- 4 teaspoons chopped thyme divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1-2 teaspoons salt adjust to taste
- 1/2-1 teaspoon black cracked pepper adjust to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half substitute with evaporated milk, if preferred
- Chopped fresh parsley and thyme to serve
- Heat the butter and oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until melted.4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 Tablespoon oil
- Sauté the diced onion for 2 to 3 minutes until softened.1 onion
- Add the minced garlic, and cook for about 1 minute or until it becomes fragrant.5 cloves garlic
- Stir in the diced mushrooms and 2 teaspoons of chopped thyme. Cook for 5 minutes, allowing the mushrooms to soften.1 1/2 pounds fresh brown mushrooms, 4 teaspoons chopped thyme
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with flour, mix well, and cook for an additional 2 minutes to eliminate the raw flour taste.1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pour in the low-sodium chicken broth or stock, mixing thoroughly to incorporate the flour. Bring the mixture to a boil.5 cups low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- Once it’s boiling, reduce the heat to low-medium, and season the soup with salt and black cracked pepper. Adjust the seasoning to taste.1-2 teaspoons salt, 1/2-1 teaspoon black cracked pepper
- Cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens.
- Reduce the heat to low, and stir in the heavy cream (or half and half). Be sure not to let the soup boil; just let it gently simmer.1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- Adjust the salt and pepper to taste. Mix in chopped fresh parsley and the remaining thyme.Chopped fresh parsley and thyme to serve
- Serve the creamy mushroom soup warm, garnished with additional parsley and thyme if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.