This homemade Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup recipe is a warm, healthy comfort food recipe perfect for a chilly fall or winter day! Tender chicken, hearty veggies, and a creamy broth combine on the stovetop for a nourishing meal that can be prepared ahead of time and stored for later.
Table of Contents
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup So Comforting You’ll Be Licking the Bowl
- What’s in a Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe?
- How to Make Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe: Comfort in a Bowl
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Store and Reheat
- Common Questions About this Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
- More Easy Soup Recipes
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe Recipe
Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup So Comforting You’ll Be Licking the Bowl
We love homemade soup recipes when the weather gets cold! With lots of unique options like our slow cooker Moroccan harira soup, spicy tomato soup, and roasted red pepper and cauliflower soup, we never get bored.
However, when it comes to satisfying meals the whole family will enjoy, you can never go wrong with a classic chicken and rice soup recipe! It’s perfect for curing colds, warming up after playing in the snow, and making a big batch for
Not only is it delicious, but there’s so much to love about our chicken and rice soup recipe! For instance, it:
- Uses simple, nutritious ingredients.
- Cooks in a single pot on the stove.
- Is a great way to utilize leftovers.
- Stores and freezes well so you can cook once and eat for days!
What’s in a Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe?
This recipe might have rich, complex flavors, but the ingredients used to make them are simple. You probably have most of them on hand!
- Vegetables – Celery, carrots, onions, and garlic add flavor, texture, and nutrients to the soup.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is best and helps add a rich, luscious flavor to the veggies and broth.
- Olive Oil – Combines with the butter to help sautée the veggies.
- Flour – Regular all-purpose flour helps thicken the broth.
- Broth – Use low-sodium chicken broth. Vegetable broth can be substituted.
- Herbs and Spices – Oregano, thyme, salt, black pepper, and bay leaves create a savory, herbaceous taste that’s better than any chicken soup you’ll find in a can!
- Chicken – We use boneless skinless chicken breasts, but chicken thighs can be substituted.
- Rice – Uncooked long-grain white rice works best.
- Lemon Juice – This helps brighten the soup, creating a vibrant, well-rounded flavor. Freshly squeezed lemon juice is best.
How to Make Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe: Comfort in a Bowl
This soup is a pretty hands-off recipe with no pureeing or intense stirring required. Once the veggies are chopped and the mixture is combined, you can just let it simmer on the stove!
- Sauté the Veggies. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the celery, carrots, and onions, and sauté until they’re tender. Then, stir in the garlic, and continue to cook just until it is tender.
- Brown the Flour. Add the flour to the pot, and cook just until it is lightly browned.
- Add the Broth. Pour the broth into the pot, and stir until the flour is dissolved. Add the oregano, thyme, salt, black pepper, and bay leaves.
- Simmer. Add the chicken and rice, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and let the mixture cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit and the rice is tender.
- Shred. Remove the chicken, and shred it with two forks or slice it into bite-sized pieces.
- Season. Squeeze the lemon juice into the soup, adjust the seasonings as needed, and add a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
This creamy chicken and rice soup can be served on its own as a complete meal. However, it also pairs fabulously with sides and appetizers like:
- Tomato Pesto Puff Pastry
- Savory Whipped Cottage Cheese and Tomatoes Bowl
- Spanakopita Triangles
- Easy Focaccia
- Green Goddess Salad
How to Store and Reheat
This homemade chicken and rice soup is one of our favorite
- To Store: Transfer leftovers to an airtight container, and keep them stored in the fridge for up to three days.
- To Freeze: Once cooled, leftovers can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the freezer for up to three months.
- To Reheat: Allow your soup to thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, heat individual portions in microwave-sage bowls. Or, warm it over medium heat in a pot on the stove.
These glass bento boxes are made of high quality borosilicate glass and safe for the air fryer, dishwasher and freezer. Food can be directly stored to the containers after cooking. Stay healthy and save time by cooking and freezing your meals for later.
Common Questions About this Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
Nope! It will cook as the soup boils. If preferred, you can cook it separately and add it to the soup at the end of cooking.
Yes, add it to the soup at the end of cooking just long enough to heat through.
Like turkey, chicken soup is rich in tryptophan, the chemical that makes us feel sleepy and relaxed.
We prefer to use long-grain white rice like Jasmine or Basmati because it tends to hold its structure and does not become mushy. However, any rice such as brown rice or wild rice can be used. We recommend avoiding short-grain rice if possible as it’s most likely to become soft!
More Easy Soup Recipes
Looking for more homemade soup recipes? Try out the delectable options below!
- The Best Broccoli & Cheese Soup
- Easy Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
- 3 sticks celery finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1.5 pounds uncooked chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup uncooked white rice rinsed and drained
- 1 squeeze of lemon juice
- 4 Tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- In a large soup pot, sauté the finely chopped celery, carrots, and onions with the butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables become tender.
- Stir in the minced garlic, and cook for about 30 seconds or until fragrant. Then, add the flour. Continue to cook for another minute or until the flour is lightly browned.
- Pour in the chicken broth, and stir well until the flour has dissolved into the broth. Add the oregano, thyme, salt, black pepper, and bay leaves to the pot.
- Place the uncooked chicken breasts and washed rice into the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked and the rice is tender.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and cut them into bite-sized pieces. Return the chicken pieces to the soup.
- Squeeze a bit of lemon juice into the soup to brighten the flavors. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Just before serving, sprinkle chopped fresh parsley over the soup for added freshness and color.
- Ladle the chicken and rice soup into bowls and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.