Move over Panera! This Broccoli and Cheese Soup recipe is velvety elegance in a bowl. Quick to make, it boasts fresh veggies and the bold flavor of cheddar cheese. Serve it on its own, or pair it with all your favorite sides!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Homemade Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- It features fresh veggies for a boost of flavor, nutrients, and fiber.
- Made with simple ingredients, it’s budget-friendly and great for feeding a crowd.
- All you’ll need is a large pot.
- You can store leftovers in the fridge or freezer to enjoy throughout the week.
Everything You’ll Need
Contrary to what the name suggests, there’s more to this broccoli cheese soup recipe than just broccoli and cheese. Look below to discover the key players that elevate this soup to an extra-smooth masterpiece.
- Unsalted Butter – This helps sauté the veggies, enhancing their flavor.
- Veggies – Onions, chopped broccoli, carrots, and garlic add extra texture and nutrients and help make the soup thick.
- Flour – We use all-purpose flour, but a 1:1 gluten-free flour alternative would work, too.
- Half and Half and Milk – We highly recommend using whole milk for the richest flavor and creamiest consistency. However, any percentage you have on hand will work.
- Chicken Stock – This helps thin out the broth without diluting the flavor. You can substitute chicken broth if preferred.
- Cheese – Sharp Cheddar cheese will give you the most incredible flavor! For the best results, we recommend using a full block and grating it yourself. Trust us, it’s worth the little bit of extra work! Pre-shredded cheese just won’t give you the same results.
- Salt and Pepper – Use as little or as much as you’d like to season your soup.
How to Make Broccoli and Cheese Soup
This classic comfort food is super easy to make from home. Our recipe guarantees easy preparation and a thickness that’ll make you wonder why you ever settled for anything less. Get ready to swoon over every spoonful!
- Melt. In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Sauté. Add the onions and carrots, and cook until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic, and sprinkle flour on top. Continue to cook just until the flour toasts lightly.
- Whisk. Pour in the half and half, milk, and chicken broth, whisking until the ingredients are well combined and smooth.
- Cook. Add the broccoli to the pot, cover, and cook on low heat until the veggies are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Season. Season your soup with salt and black pepper.
- Blend. Transfer 2 cups of soup to a blender. Or, use an immersion blender to purée it before returning it to the pot. Turn the heat off, and slowly add the cheese ½ cup at a time.
- Serve. Once the ingredients combine, portion the soup into bowls, and enjoy!
You can serve this easy broccoli and cheese soup recipe on its own as a complete meal. If you’re feeling fancy, serve it in a bread bowl like Panera’s broccoli soup!
Or, showcase it as the appetizer royalty that it is alongside main courses such as:
- Turkey Caprese Sandwich
- Quick Couscous Salad with Chicken
- Coconut Chicken Tenders
- Beef Kofta Meatballs
How to Store
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, this broccoli and cheese soup is easy to store for later and reheats like a dream!
Refrigerator: Let your soup cool, transfer it to an airtight container, and keep it in the fridge for up to five days.
Freezer: Transfer your soup to a freezer-safe container, making sure to leave a little room at the top in case it expands! Leftovers will stay fresh for up to two months.
To Reheat: Let your soup thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, warm it in the microwave or on the stovetop. Just be sure to use low heat to prevent the dairy from curdling!
Broccoli and Cheese Soup Common Questions
Cheddar cheese is what creates the classic flavor you look for in a broccoli and cheese soup recipe. We prefer extra sharp varieties. However, no matter what you use, you’ll want to make sure to buy a block and shred it yourself. Pre-shredded varieties contain anti-caking agents that prevent them from melting as easily.
Your soup should be plenty thick. However, to thicken it further, you can mix equal parts butter and flour. Once it forms a thick paste, stir it into the soup.
Or, whisk cornstarch with water or broth to form a gel, and stir it into the soup.
We prefer to use fresh broccoli but frozen will work as well. Just be sure to let it thaw before adding it to the soup.
More Comfort Food Soups
On the hunt for more satisfying and soul-warming soups? Look no further! Dive into the deliciousness of our personal favorites:
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Minestrone Soup (Copycat Olive Garden Minestrone)
- Pasta E Fagioli (Olive Garden Copycat Recipe)
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Parmesan Croutons
Broccoli & Cheese Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup carrot sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 18 ounces about 4 cups broccoli florets, chopped into bite size pieces
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated, room temp
- Melt butter and saute the onions and carrots until the onions are translucent. Add garlic and sprinkle the flour over the mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.1/4 cup unsalted butter, 1 medium onion, 1 cup carrot, 1 clove garlic, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Whisk in milk, half & half, and chicken broth2 cups half-and-half cream, 1 cup whole milk, 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- Add the broccoli. Cover and cook over low heat for 20-25 minutes or until the broccoli and carrots are tender.18 ounces about 4 cups broccoli florets, chopped into bite size pieces
- Add salt and pepper. Transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender or use an immersion blender and gently pulse. Do not over process or it will puree it. Return back to the pot, and turn the heat off. Slowly add freshly grated cheese, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring in between. This will ensure that the soup does not curdle!Kosher salt to taste, Black pepper to taste, 8 ounces 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated, room temp
- Store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.