This Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup with Potatoes is a flavorful, hearty soup loaded with veggies to keep you full. A hands-off recipe, it’s great to prepare in the morning so you can come back to a meal waiting for you when you get home!
Table of Contents
- Seriously Satisfying Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup
- What Do You Put in Homemade Vegetable Soup?
- Set It and Forget It: How to Make Vegetable Soup in the Slow Cooker
- What to Serve with Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup
- How to Store and Reheat
- Common Questions About This Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup Recipe
- More Homemade Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup Recipe Recipe
Seriously Satisfying Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup
When the weather gets chilly we bust out our slow cooker and turn to our repertoire of cozy recipes such as our slow cooker po’ boy with beef, slow cooker ground beef pasta, and this slow cooker tomato and feta pasta. However, nothing quite beats a warm soup recipe, and this slow cooker vegetable soup is one of our faves!
With a savory, tomato-based broth and tons of texture, not only is this vegetarian soup delicious, but it’s also:
- Full of fiber and nutrients thanks to an abundance of beans and veggies.
- Made with an extra hint of heat.
- Created with minimal prep time and easy cleanup.
- Great to serve on its own or with your favorite appetizers, sides, and main courses!
What Do You Put in Homemade Vegetable Soup?
You’ll find all the classic ingredients for vegetable soup in this recipe along with a few extra items to make it even more delicious! All the ingredients can easily be found at your local grocery store.
- Onion – Use a large white or yellow onion.
- Olive Oil – This is used to sauté the onion, creating a sweet taste, and we also use it as a garnish for a boost of healthy fats and rich flavor.
- Carrots – Large, whole carrots will have the best taste, but baby carrots will also work if that’s what you prefer.
- Celery – Adds a slightly spicy-sweet flavor and extra texture.
- Potatoes – Russet or gold potatoes are best. Make sure to peel them first!
- Green Beans – Fresh, frozen, or canned can be used as long as they’re thawed and drained before they’re added to the soup.
- Canned Tomatoes – Used to add volume to the broth without diluting the flavor.
- Herbs and Spices – You’ll need a bay leaf, dried oregano, dried thyme, and salt. We also like to use chopped parsley as a garnish for a bright, peppery finish.
- Stock – Use vegetable stock or chicken stock to form the base of the broth.
- Green Chilies – Technically optional, these add just a touch of heat that takes this slow cooker potato soup to a whole new level of deliciousness!
Set It and Forget It: How to Make Vegetable Soup in the Slow Cooker
With just a few minutes of prep time, this soup is a breeze to make!
- Combine the Veggies. Add the onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, green beans, tomato paste, bay leaf, oregano, and thyme to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook. Pour in the stock, and add the green chilies, if using. Season with salt, cover, and cook until the veggies are tender.
- Serve. Remove the bay leaf, and ladle your soup into bowls. Add a drizzle of olive oil along with minced parsley and parmesan cheese. Enjoy warm!
Tip! If you prefer a creamier texture, feel free to blend the potatoes and veggies for a smooth soup.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup
This recipe is super filling on its own and makes for a great vegetarian meal. However, it also works wonderfully as an appetizer or side dish with main courses such as cornflake chicken, whole chicken, or beef kofta.
How to Store and Reheat
Slow cooker vegetable soup is great to prepare in advance and keep on hand for easy meals when the weather gets cold or a craving hits!
- To Store: Allow your soup to come to room temperature, transfer it to an airtight container, and keep it stored in the fridge for up to five days.
To Freeze: Once cooled, transfer your soup to a freezer-safe container, and keep it frozen for up to 3 months.
- To Reheat: Thaw your soup in the fridge overnight. Then, warm it in the slow cooker or in a pot over medium heat on the stove.
Common Questions About This Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup Recipe
Depending on the type of potatoes used and how large they’re cut, it typically takes between four and six hours for them to soften when cooked on high in the slow cooker or crockpot.
Yes, soak the potatoes in cold water before adding them to the soup to remove excess starch. This helps them cook evenly and prevents the soup from becoming mushy.
Typically, gummy soup is caused by potatoes releasing too much starch.
We recommend peeling the potatoes for a smoother texture, but you don’t have to!
Yes! Just make sure to use vegetable stock, and omit the cheese for topping. Or, swap it out for a vegan cheese instead.
Yes! To make this soup even more filling, add in stew meat, ground beef, or ground turkey.
More Homemade Soup Recipes
Looking for more soup recipes? Try out the easy, filling options below!
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
- Easy French Onion Soup Recipe
- Middle Eastern Orzo Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup
Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 2 cups celery chopped
- 2 cups peeled Russet or gold potatoes chopped
- 2 cups green beans chopped (fresh or frozen, defrosted)
- 28 oz whole tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock for a non-vegetarian option
- 1 can green chilies optional, for added heat
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt adjust to taste
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Minced parsley for garnish
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Crusty bread for serving
- Add the oil, onions, chopped carrots, celery, potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, bay leaf, oregano, and thyme to the slow cooker. Stir well to combine.2 Tablespoons olive oil, 2 cups carrots, 2 cups celery, 2 cups peeled Russet or gold potatoes, 2 cups green beans, 28 oz whole tomatoes, 1 bay leaf, 2 teaspoons dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 onion
- Pour in the vegetable or chicken stock into the slow cooker.4 cups vegetable stock
- Add the can of green chilies to the slow cooker and stir, if desired.1 can green chilies
- Season the soup with kosher salt, adjusting to taste.2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Cover the slow cooker with its lid and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Before serving, remove the bay leaf from the soup and discard it.
- To serve, ladle the hot soup into bowls. Drizzle each serving with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle with minced parsley, and garnish with Parmesan cheese.Minced parsley, Olive oil, Parmesan cheese
- Serve the slow cooker potato soup with vegetables with crusty bread on the side for a delicious and comforting meal.Crusty bread
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.