Crafted with a tantalizing dressing and a mouthwatering marinade, these marinated chickpeas boast layers and layers of savory goodness, complemented by vibrant notes of citrus. Easy to prepare and a versatile addition to your kitchen, these marinated chickpeas are ready to elevate salads, soups, dips, and all your favorite meals.
Table of Contents
Why Marinate Chickpeas?
We’re big fans of marinated recipes like our marinated feta cubes and marinated olives. Marinating is an easy technique to add tons of flavor to simple ingredients, and marinated chickpeas are no different!
By soaking plain chickpeas in oil and your favorite herbs and spices, you can easily create a dish with bold flavors that make it taste like you were in the kitchen all day. The best part is that this recipe requires just a few minutes of prep time.
Then, the chickpeas do all the hard work! Keep them on hand to elevate all your favorite meals, and you may never go back to using plain chickpeas again.
Amp Up the Flavor of Your Favorite Beans with This Marinated Chickpeas Recipe
Below is an overview of the ingredients and instructions needed to make this recipe. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card below for the complete details, nutrition information, etc.
- Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) – To save time, use canned chickpeas. Just be sure to drain and rinse them first.
- Olive Oil – This forms the base of the dressing and marinade. It works well to combine the ingredients and infuse the chickpeas with a bold, peppery flavor.
- Garlic – Opt for whole cloves instead of pre-minced or powdered garlic, and mince them yourself.
- Spices – Ground cumin, ground paprika, salt, and black pepper create a savory flavor with just a hint of spice.
- Lemon Juice – Freshly squeezed is best! The acidity helps cut through some of the heaviness of the fats, creating a vibrant, well-rounded taste.
- Fresh Parsley – Use as little or as much as you like, and store leftover parsley for later to add flavor to all your favorite meals!
How to Make Marinated Chickpeas
- Create the dressing. Whisk olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, paprika, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Marinate the chickpeas. Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas to a large mixing bowl. Pour the dressing on top, and toss to combine and coat the chickpeas evenly. Set aside to marinate.
- Prepare the marinade. Combine the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Combine the ingredients. Pour the marinade over the soaked chickpeas. Then, toss to coat and combine.
- Marinate again. Cover the chickpeas, and transfer them to the fridge to chill and absorb the marinade.
- Swap the Oil – We love the peppery taste of olive oil, but you could substitute it with avocado oil for a more neutral flavor.
- Balsamic – Add a splash of balsamic vinegar to the marinade for a hint of sweetness.
- Pesto – Amp up the flavor of your chickpeas with an herbaceous taste by adding pesto to the marinade.
- Add Extra Ingredients – Add extra texture and create a new taste by pairing the chickpeas with extra ingredients like sun-dried tomatoes, cucumbers, or olives.
How Long Do Marinated Chickpeas Last?
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. They will stay fresh for up to four to five days!
We do not recommend freezing this recipe as the chickpeas are likely to become mushy once thawed.
Ways to Use Homemade Marinated Chickpeas
The versatility of flavored chickpeas opens up a world of culinary possibilities. While they’re divine paired with whipped feta, these marinated chickpeas can also shine alongside a variety of other dishes. Here are just a few creative and delicious ways to enjoy them:
- Bowls – Sprinkle them over your favorite grain bowls or recipes like easy chicken fajita bowls for added flavor and texture.
- Salads – Include them as a garnish with salad recipes such as tabbouleh salad, tomato and burrata salad, and Shirazi salad.
- Wraps – Fold them into wraps for a boost of savory flavor, fiber, and plant-based protein.
- Pasta – Top off your favorite pasta dishes like one pot chicken and orzo and roasted veggie pasta salad with a generous sprinkle of chickpeas.
- Appetizers – Add them to mezze platters, enjoy them on their own, or top your favorite dips and spreads with extra chickpeas for a crowd-pleasing dish!
More Chickpea-Filled Recipes
- Creamy Whipped Feta Dip with Roasted Tomatoes and Chickpeas
- The Best Healthy Chickpea Hummus
- Chickpea Cucumber Feta Salad
- Chickpea Chicken Salad
Easy Marinated Chickpeas
For the Chickpeas:
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 3 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
For the Marinade:
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped (or cilantro if preferred)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the drained and rinsed chickpeas.2 cans
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the 1/4 cup of olive oil, minced garlic, ground cumin, ground paprika, salt, and black pepper. This will be the dressing for the chickpeas.1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika, Salt to taste, Black pepper to taste
- Pour the dressing over the chickpeas in the large mixing bowl, and toss well to ensure all the chickpeas are coated evenly. Allow them to marinate for at least 30 minutes to an hour to absorb the flavors.
- While the chickpeas are marinating, prepare the marinade by mixing fresh lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and chopped parsley (or cilantro). Season the marinade with salt and black pepper to taste.2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 1/4 cup fresh parsley, Salt to taste, Black pepper to taste
- Once the chickpeas have absorbed the flavors of the dressing, add the prepared marinade to the chickpea mixture. Gently toss everything together to combine.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed, adding more salt, pepper, or lemon juice as desired.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid, and refrigerate the marinated chickpeas for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld. Marinate longer for even better flavor.
- Before serving, give the marinated chickpeas a final toss to redistribute the flavors. Garnish with additional fresh herbs if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.