This Chickpea Chicken Salad is a fun Middle Eastern take on classic chicken salad. Made with tender chunks of chicken, chickpeas, fresh veggies, creamy hummus, and bold flavors, it’s the perfect make-ahead recipe. Serve it in pita bread, on crackers, or with veggies for a satisfying meal!
Table of Contents
While we didn’t grow up eating classic American chicken salad, we understand the appeal. Easy to make, it’s perfect for stuffing in sandwiches or spreading on crackers and great for warm weather. So, we decided to try it out, with a Middle Eastern twist, of course!
We took standard chicken salad and enhanced it with warm herbs and spices, creamy hummus, and satisfying chickpeas. The result is an explosion of tastes and textures guaranteed to satisfy your tastebuds. Great for meal prep, this Chicken Chickpea Salad will become your new favorite recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Chickpea Chicken Salad
- This recipe features tons of protein, healthy fats, vitamins, nutrients, and fiber.
- With minimal steps and prep time, this recipe is quick and easy to make.
- You can make a large batch to store and eat throughout the week.
- Super versatile, you can serve it with pita bread, crackers, veggie sticks, salads, and more.
What’s In It?
We include an abundance of ingredients in this easy Chickpea Chicken Salad for a variety of tastes and textures. They’re all simple and easy to find, though! Here’s what you need:
- Chicken – This forms the base of the recipe. We use chopped cooked chicken breast, but rotisserie chicken works great, too.
- Chickpeas – Drained and rinsed, these add lots of texture, fiber, and plant-based protein.
- Veggies – Red bell pepper and green onions add a pop of color. Plus, they include a bit of crunch along with extra vitamins, nutrients, and fiber to keep you full. If preferred, red onions will also work.
- Olives – Kalamata and Manzanilla olives add a briny flavor we love along with a boost of healthy fats.
- Hummus – We use our healthy chickpea hummus as the base of the dressing. It makes for a great mayo replacement! However, to save time, you can use store-bought options instead.
- Dijon Mustard – This helps coat the ingredients and adds a satisfying, tangy taste.
- Flavor Enhancers – You’ll need dried oregano, salt, black pepper, fresh lime juice, and fresh cilantro. They add extra depth and a warm yet refreshing Middle Eastern flair. Feel free to substitute fresh lemon juice or fresh dill for a slightly different taste.
- Almonds – Sprinkle toasted almonds on top for extra healthy fats and a satisfying crunch.
How to Make Easy Chickpea Chicken Salad
Once you have all the ingredients gathered, this recipe comes together in just a few minutes! Here’s what to do:
- Form the base. Add the chicken and chickpeas to a large bowl followed by the chopped olives, red bell pepper, and green onions. Gently toss to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl. Mix until well combined and coated.
- Garnish and serve. Sprinkle toasted almonds on top, and enjoy!
Pro-Tip: If you prefer a smoother recipe, use a potato masher to smash the chickpeas!
This Chickpea Chicken Salad is full of ingredients as it is, but that doesn’t mean you can’t add more! Experiment with different flavor combinations and ingredients to make this recipe your own. For example, some of our favorite variations include:
- Mash the Chickpeas. We leave the chickpeas whole. However, for a slightly creamier texture, you can mash them before adding them to the mixture.
- Add Avocado. For an extra creamy consistency, incorporate chunks of avocado.
- Include Fruit. Dried cranberries or cherries, sliced grapes, or chopped apples are a great way to add a hint of sweetness. You might want to adjust the rest of the ingredients if you add fruit, though.
- Use Cheese. A sprinkle of feta or goat cheese is an excellent way to take the flavor up a notch.
- Play with Seasonings. Feel free to mix and match different herbs and spices to amp up the flavor profile. Or, add a bit of spice with red pepper flakes, paprika, or hot sauce!
- Omit the Chicken. For a vegetarian version of a classic chicken salad recipe, omit the chicken. The chickpeas have lots of plant-based protein on their own!
Serve this recipe all the same ways you would standard chicken salad! Some options include:
- In Pita or Sandwich Bread – Stuff this mixture into pita bread or your favorite sandwich bread. It makes for an easy, savory chickpea chicken salad sandwich!
- In a Wrap – Similar to sandwiches, tortillas make for a great way to wrap up and hold all your chickpea chicken salad fillings.
- In Lettuce Wraps – Stuff the mixture into large lettuce leaves for a low-carb wrap.
- On Crackers – Turn this recipe into a dip with your favorite crackers.
- With Veggie Sticks – Continuing with the dipping theme, veggie sticks make for a great low-carb option that’s fun to eat.
- Over Greens – Add a dollop of the salad mixture to a bed of mixed greens for a hearty salad.
How to Store
This Chickpea Chicken Salad makes for a great meal prep option. Once combined, transfer it to an airtight container, and store it in the refrigerator for five to seven days. We don’t recommend freezing it as it won’t thaw well.
For the best results, we highly recommend storing your salad on its own. Then, pair it with pita, chips, crackers, etc. just before serving. This prevents it from becoming soggy!
Common Questions About Chickpea Chicken Salad
Sure! Omit the chicken to make this a vegan chicken salad or vegan chickpea salad recipe. It’ll still be full of protein thanks to the chickpeas. Nothing beats a chickpea salad sandwich!
Yes, you can eat any beans including chickpeas straight from the can. However, we recommend draining and rinsing them first. The liquid can cause your chickpea chicken salad to become soggy and tend to have a salty taste.
No! They’re the same thing. People use the names to refer to the same thing, depending on where you are in the world. Garbanzo is a Spanish-derived name. Meanwhile, the word chickpea comes from the Latin word cicer which refers to the entire legume family.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Looking for more tasty chicken recipes to
- Quick Couscous Salad with Chicken
- Meal Prep Chipotle Chicken
- Southwest Chicken Salad
- Asian Chicken Bowls
Chickpea Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 ¼ cups chicken breast cooked and chopped (can sub with rotisserie chicken)
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives chopped
- 1/4 cup Manzanilla olives chopped
- 1 red bell pepper ~ 3/4 cup, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup slivered toasted almonds
- In a large bowl, add the cooked chicken, chickpeas, olives, bell pepper, cilantro, and green onions. Toss to combine.
- Add the hummus, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, lime juice, and oregano. Toss again until the ingredients are well combined and the sauce is evenly distributed.
- Garnish with toasted almonds, if desired.
- Serve in pita bread or lettuce cups for a low-carb option
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.