This Chicken and Zucchini Stir Fry comes together in less than 30 minutes with just a handful of ingredients! Made in a single skillet, it’s an easy, nutritious dish the whole family will love!
Table of Contents
Step-By-Step Guide to Make an Easy Chicken and Zucchini Stir Fry Recipe
Below is an overview of how to make this chicken and zucchini recipe. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card below for the complete details and nutrition information!
- Chicken – We recommend using boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but thighs would work as well.
- Veggies – Green and yellow zucchini (squash), and red onion create the bulk of the stir fry. Then, we include garlic and fresh ginger for a tangy flavor.
- Soy Sauce – Feel free to use liquid aminos or tamari, if preferred.
- Cornstarch – This helps thicken the sauce.
- Olive Oil – This is used to sautée the ingredients. Avocado oil will also work.
- Spices – Include salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to suit your preferences.
- Marinate. Cube the chicken pieces, and let them marinate in soy sauce in the fridge.
- Sauté the chicken. Heat a bit of oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Then, add the chicken, and sauté until it’s no longer pink. Transfer it to a clean plate, and set it aside.
- Add the veggies. In the same skillet, add more oil as needed. Then, sauté the garlic, ginger, and red onion until the mixture is fragrant and the onions are translucent. Add the zucchini and yellow squash, and continue to cook until tender.
- Combine. Return the chicken to the pan. Then, in a small bowl, whisk the remaining soy sauce and cornstarch until smooth. Pour this mixture in with the chicken and zucchini.
- Cook. Stir to combine the ingredients, and allow them to cook until the sauce begins to thicken and coats everything evenly. Season with salt and pepper, and add a bit of heat with a dash of red pepper flakes, if desired.
Feel free to mix and match your favorite ingredients and seasonings to make this chicken and zucchini stir fry recipe your own!
- Veggies: Feel free to swap out or add to the zucchini with vegetables such as mushrooms, bell peppers, eggplant, broccoli, carrots, or snap peas.
- Protein: Use lean slices of steak, ground beef, ground turkey, or shrimp in place of chicken.
- Garnishes: Add a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds, chopped peanuts, or cilantro for added flavor and crunch.
Tips and Tricks
- Choose the best zucchini and squash. Your chicken and zucchini stir fry can only be as good as the ingredients you’re using, including the veggies! To choose the best zucchini and squash, look for options that are firm to touch, solid green or yellow, and free from any blemishes or bruises. In addition, go for squash that are smaller in size. The bigger options tend to have less flavor and be more watery.
- Allow enough time to marinade. Don’t rush the marinading process! Allow your chicken to rest for at least 30 minutes in the fridge or, ideally, up to overnight. This is what really allows the flavors to soak in and helps the chicken stay tender and juicy.
- Cut evenly. This recipe comes together quickly. So, you’ll want to cut all the veggies and chicken into cubes that are roughly equal in size.
- Work quickly. Stir fry recipes are known for how easy and quick they are to make. So, be sure to have all your ingredients close by, and keep an eye on the pan. Overcooking the dish will only cause the zucchini to become soggy.
We highly recommend serving this chicken and zucchini stir fry over your favorite noodles or rice to soak up all the delicious sauce!
How to Store and Reheat
Store: Allow leftovers to cool to room temperature. Then, transfer them to an airtight container, and store them in the fridge for up to four days.
Freeze: Zucchini isn’t our favorite veggie to freeze, because it can become a bit soggy once thawed. However, if that doesn’t bother you, this dish can be frozen for up to three months.
Reheat: Allow leftovers to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then, warm single servings in the microwave. Or, heat larger portions in a skillet over on the stove over medium heat.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast with Vegetables
- Black Pepper Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Quick Couscous Salad with Chicken
Chicken and Zucchini Stir Fry
- 1 pound chicken breast cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup soy sauce plus 2 Tablespoons (divided)
- Olive oil for sautéing
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 2 green zucchinis
- 2 yellow zucchinis
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper optional, for heat
- In a mixing bowl, marinate the cubed chicken breast with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Allow it to marinate for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.1 pound chicken breast, 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, and add a bit of olive oil.Olive oil for sautéing
- Once the oil is hot, add the marinated chicken, and sauté until it’s cooked through and no longer pink. This should take about 5-7 minutes. Remove the cooked chicken from the pan, and set it aside.
- In the same pan, add a bit more olive oil if needed. Add the chopped garlic, minced ginger, and red onion. Sauté the mixture until the onions become translucent.3 cloves garlic, 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, 1 small red onion
- Add the green and yellow zucchini to the pan with the sautéed onions, garlic, and ginger. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the zucchinis are tender and slightly caramelized. This will take about 5-7 minutes.2 green zucchinis, 2 yellow zucchinis
- Return the cooked chicken to the pan with the sautéed vegetables.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1/4 cup of soy sauce with the cornstarch until smooth. Pour this mixture into the pan with the chicken and vegetables.1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Stir everything together and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens and coats the chicken and vegetables evenly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add crushed red pepper at this stage for some spiciness, if desired.Salt to taste, Black pepper to taste, Crushed red pepper
- Once everything is well combined and heated through, the Chicken and Zucchini Stir-Fry is ready to be served over rice or noodles!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.