These Marinated Chickpeas with Whipped Feta are the perfect blend of crispy and creamy textures with sweet, savory flavors! Ready in minutes, it’s a great appetizer or snack for family gatherings, holidays, game days, and every occasion in between.
Table of Contents
- Are Chickpeas Healthy?
- Simple Ingredients, Bold Flavors
- Master the Art of Making Marinated Chickpeas with Whipped Feta
- Serving Suggestions
- Can I Make this Recipe Ahead of Time?
- More Feta Dip Recipes
- Marinated Chickpeas with Whipped Feta Recipe
Are Chickpeas Healthy?
Yes! Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are extremely nutritious. Not only are they a good source of plant-based protein and fiber, but chickpeas are also rich in a variety of vitamins and minerals such as manganese, folate, copper, iron, zinc, phosphorous, magnesium, and vitamin B6.
Simple Ingredients, Bold Flavors
This marinated chickpeas recipe with whipped feta uses just a handful of ingredients, many of which are pantry staples you likely already have on hand.
- Chickpeas – Use canned chickpeas. Just make sure to rinse and drain them well before you begin!
- Olive Oil – This forms the base of the marinade, adding rich flavor and healthy fats.
- Herbs and Spices – Dried oregano, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, and fresh cilantro add a vibrant flavor that’s savory with hints of heat and a bright, peppery kick.
- Feta Cheese – Use a block of feta cheese, not feta crumbles. Full-fat varieties will deliver the best taste and texture.
- Cream Cheese – Similar to the feta, full-fat, block forms are best.
- Greek Yogurt – This is key to creating a fluffy, creamy consistency! Regular yogurt won’t deliver the same results.
- Water – Use as little or as much as needed to achieve your desired consistency.
- Garlic – Whole, fresh cloves add a savory, sweet, pungent taste.
- Lemon Juice – The acidity helps balance some of the tanginess of the cheese.
- Honey – Adjust to taste. If preferred, maple syrup can be used instead.
Master the Art of Making Marinated Chickpeas with Whipped Feta
With minimal prep time and no cooking time required, this is sure to become your go-to snack and appetizer!
- Place the drained and rinsed chickpeas in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil and seasonings.
- Pour the mixture over the chickpeas, and toss to coat them evenly.
- Set the bowl aside, and allow the chickpeas to marinate.
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until they’re smooth and creamy.
- Adjust the flavor as needed, adding more honey or lemon zest to suit your preferences.
TIP: If the mixture is too thick, add an extra splash of water, and blend again, repeating until your desired consistency is achieved!
Assembly and Serving
- Spread a generous layer of the whipped feta over a large serving platter or individual plates.
- Spoon the marinated chickpeas on top.
- Then, add a garnish of fresh cilantro and crushed red pepper flakes, and finish with a drizzle of olive oil and extra seasonings as desired. Enjoy!
This recipe works best when served as a dip with pita bread, crackers, naan bread, or fresh veggies like carrots, celery sticks, or peppers. However, you could also add it to salads, or use it as a spread in sandwiches and wraps!
Can I Make this Recipe Ahead of Time?
If want to make this recipe ahead of time, it’s best to store the marinated chickpeas and whipped feta in separate airtight containers. They’ll both keep for up to five days in the fridge.
More Feta Dip Recipes
- Whipped Feta Watermelon Salad Recipe
- Whipped Feta Recipe with Roasted Olives
- Creamy Whipped Feta Dip with Roasted Tomatoes and Chickpeas
- Whipped Feta with Cranberries and Walnuts
Marinated Chickpeas with Whipped Feta
For the Marinated Chickpeas:
- 2 cans 15 ounces each chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Whipped Feta:
- 1 block 8 ounces feta cheese
- 1/2 block 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the drained and rinsed chickpeas.2 cans
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, dried oregano, smoked paprika, cilantro, salt, and black pepper.3 Tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Pour the olive oil mixture over the chickpeas, and toss to coat them evenly. Let the chickpeas marinate while you prepare the whipped feta. This will allow the flavors to meld together.
- In a food processor, add the block of feta cheese, cream cheese, Greek yogurt, garlic, lemon zest, and honey.1 block, 1/2 block, 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, 1 garlic clove, Zest of 1/2 lemon, 1 Tablespoon honey
- Blend the ingredients until smooth and creamy. If the mixture is too thick, add a little water to achieve the desired consistency.1/4 cup water
- Taste the whipped feta and adjust the seasoning if necessary, adding more honey or lemon zest if desired.
Assembly and Serving:
- Take a serving platter or individual plates, and spread a generous layer of the whipped feta on the bottom.
- Spoon the marinated chickpeas on top of the whipped feta.
- Garnish the dish with freshly chopped cilantro and crushed red pepper flakes for some heat.
- Optionally, drizzle a bit of extra olive oil on top and sprinkle with additional smoked paprika or black pepper for extra flavor.
- Serve the marinated chickpeas with whipped feta as a delicious appetizer or side dish. It can be enjoyed with pita bread, crackers, naan, or fresh vegetables for dipping.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.