Made with fresh veggies and warm spices, this Easy Butternut Squash Soup is a hearty vegan recipe that’s full of flavor and good for you, too! Serve it on its own or with your favorite soups and sandwiches for a full meal.
Why We Love This Easy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Who can ever say no to a good soup? Honestly, it’s one of our favorite comfort foods, and this easy butternut squash soup is no exception! There are endless reasons why we adore it, but we’ll just name a few:
- It’s super simple to make. Just toss it in the slow cooker, and go about your day!
- It’s packed full of veggies but still tastes super sweet.
- It’s filling on its own or perfect for pairing.
- It’s dairy-free, vegetarian, and vegan to fit all your dietary needs.
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup Ingredients
One bite and you won’t believe this recipe comes together with just 10 ingredients! It’s sweet, savory, and full of depth for a recipe that just can’t be beat. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butternut Squash – To save time, we love to use pre-cut squash.
- Onion – We recommend using yellow onion, but white or sweet varieties work, too!
- Herbs – You will need some fresh Thyme, and Sage for garnish. The fresher these are, the better your soup will smell and taste.
- Garlic – This will add an extra flavor that will take your butternut squash soup to the next level.
- Vegetable Broth – Typically, easy butternut squash soup recipes will call for chicken broth. However, by using vegetable broth, we were able to keep this meal vegan-friendly without sacrificing any flavor.
- Olive oil – This is a lovely neutral oil that has a high smoke point that will add extra richness to your soup.
- Salt and Pepper – This combo goes with just about any meal. As always, taste and season to your liking!
- Coconut Milk – This will help thin out your soup. We recommend using a full-fat version for the creamiest texture.
How to Make Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
This Easy Butternut Squash Soup is one of the simplest recipes you’ll ever make. Just toss everything in the slow cooker in the morning, and you’ll have a satisfying dinner by the time you get home.
- Peel and chop all of your fruits and veggies.
- Add all of the ingredients except for the coconut milk to the slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook for 4 hours on high.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth.
- Add the coconut milk, and stir.
- Serve, and enjoy!
Tips for Slicing Squash
Butternut squash may seem challenging to prepare at first. But with the right tools and a little confidence, you will have it cubed up and ready to go in no time. First, you must make sure you have a sharp knife. Second, you need to find a good cutting board or something stable to place the butternut squash. Then, just follow the steps below!
- Cut about ¼” off of each end.
- Peel the skin with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut down the middle, slicing the squash in two.
- Use a spoon to scrape out all the seeds.
- Slice the butternut squash in half again. Then cut it into cubes.
Our families absolutely devour this soup. So, we recommend making a big batch to keep on hand throughout the week!
Fridge: Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Freezer: Place leftovers in sealable bags or airtight containers, and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Reheat: When you’re ready to eat, place the thawed soup in a pot on your stove or in the microwave, and heat until the desired temperature is reached.
How to Thicken Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
If your soup is too runny, don’t panic! Just stir in a small amount of flour or cornstarch until it begins to thicken.
What Do I Do If My Soup Is Bland?
If your soup seems bland, feel free to add in extra seasonings. Or, add an extra dash of broth of coconut milk instead.
We love to pair this butternut squash soup with breads, salads, and sandwiches for a full meal! Here are some of our favorite options:
More Soups You’ll Love
Can’t get enough soup in your life? Try some more of our favorite options!
- This Zucchini Soup is another Vegan-friendly recipe that’s loaded with nutrients. Roasted
- Just a little spicy, this Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup is guaranteed to warm you up on those cool fall days.
- A classic Egyptian recipe, this Lentil Soup is comforting and indulgent.
- Rich and hearty, this Slow Cooker Potato Soup is an easy version of everyone’s favorite meal!
Easy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 4 cups Butternut Squash (approx. 1 large butternut squash)
- 1 medium chopped white onion
- 1 large cored (peeled and chopped granny smith apple (or 2 small ))
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 teaspoons sea salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 13.5 oz cans of full-fat coconut milk
- Peel and chop the butternut squash, apples, garlic, carrots and onions. Everything should be about 1-inch pieces.
- In the slow cooker and butternut squash, apples, onions, carrots, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper, broth and the sprig of thyme.
- Cover and set to for 4 hours on high.
- With an immersion blender, blend until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender. You carefully pour into a regular blender.
- Fill blender half way. Place a towel over the top of the blender. Start the blender on the lowest speed and gradually increase the speed.
- Add the coconut milk to the soup and stir.