This Creamy Zucchini Soup recipe is the best way to use up fresh summer zucchini. Paired with bright herbs, silky coconut milk, and hearty potatoes, it’s a vegan recipe that sneaks in tons of nutrients with an irresistible flavor even the pickiest eaters can’t resist.
Table of Contents
Zucchini Soup Sounds Zany, But There’s So Much to Love!
We’re big fans of zucchini and incorporate it into as many meals as we can, especially during the summer when the local farmer’s markets and grocery stores are exploding with them!
However, this zucchini soup recipe is so good, we find ourselves making it all year long. Seriously, it’s a ten out of ten on the delicious scale! Not only is it super tasty, but it also:
- Comes together with nine simple ingredients.
- Cooks in less than 30 minutes.
- Contains no dairy, nuts, gluten, or meat, making it suitable for nearly everybody.
- Packs in lots of nutrients and fiber.
- Stores well to enjoy for days.
What Is Zucchini Soup Made Of?
There are endless varieties of zucchini soup recipes featuring all kinds of ingredients, textures, and flavors. However, for our version, we chose to keep things simple, allowing the fresh produce and creamy texture to speak for themselves.
- Zucchini – Medium-sized zucchini work best for this recipe.
- Potatoes – Not found in many zucchini soup recipes, we love the extra density it adds to the texture. Plus, who doesn’t love potatoes in any form? Gold potatoes work best as they have an extra buttery taste and a softer texture.
- Aromatics – Onion and garlic add extra depth and a savory base with subtle notes of sweetness.
- Seasonings – Oregano, salt, and pepper are all you need!
- Broth – To keep this recipe vegan, we use vegetable broth, but chicken broth would work as well. Whichever you use, make sure it’s a low-sodium variety so as not to overpower the soup.
- Coconut Milk – This is crucial to creating the creamy consistency we want with this recipe. For the best results, use full-fat canned coconut milk. The liquid, coconut milk found in the refrigerated section of your local grocery store will not work!
Health Benefits of Zucchini
We love zucchini not only because it’s super versatile and easy to use but also because it’s full of health benefits, too! For example, it’s rich in vitamin A, manganese, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, and vitamin K among other nutrients.
As a result, including it as part of a balanced diet may help to:
- Boost immunity
- Improve digestion
- Reduce blood sugar levels
- Improve heart health
- Strengthen eyesight
How to Make the Best Creamy Zucchini Soup Recipe
This savory soup comes together in around 30 minutes for a nourishing meal you can whip up in no time!
- Prepare the Veggies. Chop the zucchini and onions, and peel the potatoes.
- Combine. Add the vegetables to a large, heavy pot along with the garlic, seasonings, and broth.
- Cook. Bring the mixture to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to medium or medium-low, cover the pot, and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Blend. Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until a smooth soup is formed. Or, if you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer the soup to a high-speed blender, and pulse until smooth. Just be careful when blending hot liquids so they don’t explode!
- Stir. Stir in the coconut milk until the soup is extra creamy.
- Serve. Garnish with croutons and parsley, and enjoy warm!
How to Store
This creamy zucchini soup recipe stores really well. So, go ahead and stock up when zucchini is in season, and keep comforting soup on hand for months!
- To Store: Once cooled, zucchini soup can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to five days.
- To Freeze: Transfer leftover soup to an airtight container, and keep it in the freezer for up to three months.
- To Reheat: Let any frozen soup thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, warm it in the microwave or in a saucepan over medium heat.
Although super tasty, we prefer to serve this zucchini soup as a side dish or appetizer rather than a complete meal. Some of our favorite pairings include:
- Turkey Caprese Sandwich
- Chickpea Chicken Salad
- Southwest Salad with Creamy Chipotle Dressing
- Air Fryer Jalapeño Cheddar Chicken Meatballs
Common Questions About Zucchini Soup
Zucchinis themselves are low in carbohydrates. However, we include potatoes in this recipe, meaning it is not low-carb, but it is super delicious!
Yes! Naturally nut-free, dairy-free, and vegetarian, this zucchini soup recipe is loaded with vitamins, nutrients, and fiber, making it a nutritious recipe.
We don’t peel zucchini when we make this recipe, but you can! It may be beneficial if your veggies are super large as the skin becomes a bit tougher the bigger the zucchini gets.
Creamy Zucchini Soup Recipe
- 4-5 medium zucchinis chopped
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium gold potato peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 8 ounces canned coconut milk
- In a 4-quart heavy pot, add the chopped zucchini, onion, potatoes, and garlic.
- Add the oregano, salt, pepper, and broth, stirring to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium or medium-low, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the ingredients until smooth. Alternatively, transfer the soup to a high-speed blender, and pulse until smooth. Be careful blending hot liquids in a blender!
- Add the coconut milk, stirring until it’s well incorporated and the soup is creamy.
- Divide the zucchini soup into bowls, garnish with croutons and parsley, and enjoy warm!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
More Satisfying Soups
If you enjoy this creamy zucchini soup recipe, you won’t want to miss out on more of our homemade soups below!