Table of Contents
- What Are Nutella French Toast Sticks?
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- Skip the Pan, and Make Fuss-Free Nutella Stuffed French Toast in the Air Fryer Instead
- Tips and Tricks
- Serving Suggestions
- Storage Options
- Common Questions About Air Fryer Nutella French Toast Sticks
- More Decadent French Toast Recipes
- Air Fryer Nutella French Toast Sticks Recipe Recipe
What Are Nutella French Toast Sticks?
Remember the frozen French toast sticks from the grocery store? These Nutella French toast sticks are just like them but so much better!
Essentially, this Nutella stuffed French toasted recipe is regular French toast that is stuffed full of Nutella spread, sliced into strips, and cooked in
The end result is a luxurious breakfast or brunch recipe that doubles as dessert! And if that’s not enough to have you running to the kitchen, this Nutella stuffed French toast:
- Uses less than ten ingredients.
- Requires minimal prep time, has a quick cook time, and a total time of under 20 minutes.
- Stores well to enjoy the next day.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Believe it or not, this showstopping recipe is made with just a handful of simple ingredients you probably already have on hand! Here’s what you need:
- White Bread – Use thick, white bread as the base of the sticks.
- Nutella – We always have a batch of homemade Nutella on hand, but the jarred variety from the store works just as well!
- Large Eggs – These are crucial to lock in moisture and create the crisp exterior we’re looking to achieve.
- Milk – For the best taste and texture, we highly recommend using whole milk.
- Vanilla Extract – Pure vanilla extract (not imitation vanilla) adds extra depth to the egg wash, enhancing the flavor of the sticks.
- Granulated Sugar – Regular granulated sugar is used to coat the outside of the air-fried sticks, making them drool-worthy delicious.
- Ground Cinnamon – This is mixed in with the egg wash and combined with the sugar, for an extra layer of sweetness and just a touch of spice.
Skip the Pan, and Make Fuss-Free Nutella Stuffed French Toast in the
Air Fryer Instead
We love this recipe, because there’s no need to spend hours waiting for your French toast to soak or to dirty up a million pans. All you need are a couple of shallow bowls and an
- Stuff the Bread. Use a knife to spread a couple tablespoons of Nutella evenly over half of the bread slices. Then, form Nutella sandwiches with the remaining pieces of bread, and pinch the edges with your fingers to seal them closed.
- Slice. Use a sharp knife to carefully trim the crusts from the Nutella sandwiches. Slice each sandwich into equal strips.
- Prepare the Egg Mixture. In a shallow bowl, whisk the liquid ingredients (eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon) together until smooth.
- Make the Coating. In a separate small bow, combine the cinnamon and sugar.
- Dip and Coat the French Toast Sticks. Dip each bread stick into the egg mixture, ensuring they are completely coated on all sides.
- Air Fry. Lightly grease your preheated air fryer basket with cooking oil spray, and arrange the Nutella French toast sticks in a single layer, leaving space between each stick. Air fry until the sticks are golden brown and crispy, flipping them over once halfway through cooking.
- Coat. Transfer the French toast sticks to the cinnamon mixture, rolling them around to coat them evenly while they’re still hot.
Tips and Tricks
- Use Stale Bread. For the best results, you’ll want to use bread that is at least a day old. Stale bread loses moisture, meaning it absorbs the liquid more easily.
- Don’t Oversoak the Bread. Unlike overnight French toast casserole, you want to soak the bread just long enough to completely coat it with the mixture. Otherwise, it will absorb too much and turn out soggy!
- Preheat the
Air Fryer. Preheat your air fryerbefore you begin preparing the Nutella French toast sticks to ensure it has plenty of time to heat up. The intense heat is key to cooking your breakfast quickly!
- Work in Batches. You want to make sure the French toast is arranged in an even layer in
the air fryerwith a little space all around each piece. If this is not possible with the full recipe, work in batches as needed until all of the French toast sticks are cooked.
- Move Quickly. Make sure to have all your ingredients on hand and close by. Once the sticks are cooked, you’ll want to transfer them to the cinnamon sugar mixture while they’re warm to ensure the coating sticks.
- Avoid Overcooking. Every
air fryeris different. So, be sure to keep a close eye on your French toast sticks, and be careful not to let them burn.
We like to dust our Nutella French toast sticks with powdered sugar and top them with fresh fruit, whipped cream, or maple syrup. However, if you want to add extra bulk to your meal, try pairing them with savory options like baked scrambled eggs, easy oven baked eggs, or eggs in purgatory.
These homemade Nutella French toast sticks are best enjoyed right away while they’re still fresh. However, if you have leftovers, they can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to two to three days.
To freeze your French toast sticks, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet, and transfer them to the freezer. Once solid, they can be stored in a sealable bag in the freezer for up to three months.
To reheat, allow your Nutella stuffed French toast to thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, warm it in
Common Questions About
Air Fryer Nutella French Toast Sticks
Technically, any type of bread will do. However, for the best results, we recommend using thick, white bread like sourdough, Challah, or Brioche.
Yes! Using stale bread is the best way to ensure the liquid gets absorbed. If you don’t have a stale loaf, you can easily dry out bread in the oven.
You can substitute any milk you have on hand, but the flavor of your French toast will change slightly depending on what you use.
For this recipe, you want to dip and soak the bread just long enough for it to be coated with the liquid. The pieces should be thick and wet but not soggy at all.
No! You could make regular Nutella French toast. Just follow the recipe instructions below, and skip slicing the bread. Then, cook each piece whole, working in batches and adjusting the air frying time as needed.
Sure! Just bake your French toast sticks in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 13 minutes instead.
More Decadent French Toast Recipes
If you enjoy this easy
- Air Fryer French Toast
- Churro French Toast
- Cinnamon Roll French Toast Roll-Ups
- Pecan Pie French Toast
Air Fryer Nutella French Toast Sticks Recipe
For the French Toast Sticks:
- 8 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cooking spray or oil for the air fryer basket
For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Maple syrup or fresh fruit for dipping (optional)
- Spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of Nutella evenly on half of the bread slices.1/2 cup Nutella, 8 slices white bread
- Place the remaining bread slices on top to create Nutella sandwiches. Press gently to seal the edges.
- Carefully trim the crusts from the Nutella sandwiches.
- Cut each sandwich into 3 to 4 strips, creating French toast sticks.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon until well combined.2 large eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a separate shallow bowl, mix together the granulated sugar and ground cinnamon to create the cinnamon sugar coating.1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dip each Nutella stuffed French toast stick into the egg mixture, ensuring they’re coated on all sides.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) for about 5 minutes.
- Lightly grease the air fryer basket with cooking spray or oil to prevent sticking.Cooking spray or oil for the air fryer basket
- Place the coated Nutella French toast sticks in a single layer in the air fryer basket, leaving some space between each stick. Cook in batches if necessary, depending on the size of the air fryer.
- Air fry for 6-8 minutes or until the French toast is golden brown and crispy, turning the sticks halfway through the cooking time.
- While the French toast sticks are still hot from the air fryer, roll them in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat them evenly.
- Remove the Air Fryer Nutella French Toast Sticks from the mixture, and let them cool for a minute or two.
- Dust with powdered, sugar if desired. Serve hot with maple syrup or fresh fruit for dipping.Powdered sugar for dusting (optional), Maple syrup or fresh fruit for dipping (optional)
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.