This Peanut Butter Nutella Lava Cake recipe is a luscious dessert you can make in less than 30 minutes. A cross between a slow cooker lava cake and a chocolate mug cake, it’s oozing with melted peanut butter and rich, decadent Nutella in every bite. Prepared in a ramekin, it’s perfect for enjoying on your own or sharing with a friend!
Table of Contents
Inspired by the fancy lava cake desserts you get at restaurants, this Nutella lava cake recipe is absolutely bursting with deliciousness. Featuring a gooey peanut butter center and a soft, Nutella batter, it’s guaranteed to satisfy your cravings. Even better, it comes together in a single ramekin and bakes in less than 20 minutes with no waiting in a crowded restaurant required!
Why You’ll Love This Peanut Butter Nutella Lave Cake
- 6 simple ingredients are all you need.
- Made in a single ramekin, it’s quick to prepare and easy to clean up.
- It bakes in less than 20 minutes.
- It’s small enough to enjoy on your own yet decadent enough to share.
Ingredients You’ll Need
If you’ve got a sweet tooth like us, it’s likely you already have everything you need for this Peanut Butter Nutella Lava Cake recipe! Here’s what we used:
- Flour – Regular, all-purpose flour forms the base of this dessert. If needed, you can swap it out for 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose instead.
- Baking Powder – Make sure it’s fresh! This is crucial to help your Nutella lava cake rise.
- Nutella – We like to use our homemade Nutella, but store-bought options work great, too.
- Milk – We like to use whole milk to combine the ingredients and enhance the flavor, but any milk you have on hand can be used.
- Peanut Butter – Used to form the soft lava center. If preferred, any other nut or seed butter can be used in its place.
- Salt – Just a pinch helps enhance the flavor of the rest of the ingredients.
How to Make a Quick and Easy Peanut Butter Nutella Lava Cake
The only hard part about this Nutella lava cake is having the patience to wait for it to bake. With the steps below, you can whip it up in minutes.
- Preheat the oven, and grease a small ramekin with cooking oil spray or butter.
- Add all the ingredients except the peanut butter to a bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared ramekin. Add the peanut butter to the center, and smooth the batter on top.
- Place the ramekin in the oven, and bake just until the batter has set. Be careful not to overbake!
- Then, let it cool for just a minute or two, and dig in!
*Pro-Tip: Place your ramekin on a baking sheet before adding it to the oven. This will help catch any spills that may occur, keeping your oven clean.
Thanks to the molten center, this homemade Nutella lava cake is extremely rich in flavor and scrumptious on its own. But we can’t resist adding an extra topping or two! For example, some of our favorites include:
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Whipped Cream
- An Extra Drizzle of Nutella or Peanut Butter
- Chopped Nuts
- Coconut Flakes
Common Questions About This Nutella Lava Cake
There are several differences between molten cake and lava cake recipes. However, the most notable is that a molten cake is baked through and has a texture more similar to a soufflé. Meanwhile, lava cakes are melted and liquid in the center.
No, although liquid, when baked properly the center of lava cake recipes still reaches 160º Fahrenheit. As a result, they’re considered to be fully cooked and safe to eat.
We don’t recommend baking this recipe ahead of time as the center will set and harden as it cools. However, if you want to prepare in advance, the batter can be made and stored covered in the fridge for up to 2 days. For the best results, we recommend leaving out the peanut butter until just before placing the ramekin in the oven. This helps prevent it from spreading out and mixing with the batter in the fridge.
More Nutella-Loaded Desserts
Looking for more ways to enjoy Nutella other than eating it with a spoon? We’ve got you covered with the recipes below!
- Nutella Stuffed Biscuit Doughnuts
- Nutella Stuffed Croissant French Toast
- Chocolate Hazelnut Skillet Brownie
- Nutella Zeppole (Italian Donuts)
Nutella Lava Cake Recipe with Peanut Butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup Nutella
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon peanut butter
- Optional: chocolate chips for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Grease an 8-10 ounce ramekin, and set aside.
- Add the flour, baking powder, Nutella, milk, and salt to a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared ramekin, and dollop the peanut butter in the center. Smooth the batter on top. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top, if desired.
- Bake 16 minutes or just until the batter has set. Be careful not to overbake!
- Cool for 1 minute, and dig in!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.