The BEST Nutella lava cake recipe you’ll ever make, this decadent dessert is paired with chocolate and peanut butter for indulgent flavor. Ooey gooey in the center, it’s easy to make and perfect for date nights, Valentine’s Day, or to treat yourself any day of the week!
Table of Contents
- What is a Nutella Lava Cake Made Of?
- Master the Art of Creating a Luscious Lava Cake with Simple Steps
- Topping Ideas
- Can I Make This Nutella Lava Cake Recipe Ahead of Time?
- How Do I Reheat a Lava Cake?
- Is Lava Cake Raw in the Middle?
- More Chocolate Hazelnut Dessert Recipes
- Nutella Lava Cake Recipe with Peanut Butter Recipe
What is a Nutella Lava Cake Made Of?
For this easy Nutella lava cake recipe, we kept things simple using a handful of baking staples. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Coconut Oil – Used to grease the ramekins and help melt the chocolate, creating a runny consistency.
- Cocoa Powder – Helps contribute to the bold chocolate flavor. Make sure your cocoa powder is unsweetened!
- Chocolate Chips – We prefer to use dark chocolate, but semi-sweet would work, too. Just make sure you use a high-quality brand like Ghiradelli or Lindt! We promise you can taste the difference.
- Large Eggs – A single egg and an egg yolk are used to provide structure and help the cake rise while also creating a rich flavor.
- Sugar – We use coconut palm sugar, but brown sugar would work, too. If you don’t have brown sugar, you can make homemade brown sugar using granulated sugar and molasses!
- Coffee Extract – This helps enhance the chocolate taste and does not create a coffee flavor. Promise!
- Peanut Butter – We use smooth peanut butter, but crunchy would work too if you want to add a bit of extra texture. If using natural peanut butter, be sure to give it a good stir first.
- Salt – Used to enhance the rest of the ingredients.
Master the Art of Creating a Luscious Lava Cake with Simple Steps
Although commonly thought of as a difficult dessert to make, our version makes the process of creating a Nutella lava cake a breeze!
- Melt the chocolate. In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt the coconut oil and chocolate chips in 30-second intervals, stirring in between.
- Beat the eggs. In a second bowl, beat the egg and egg yolk, coconut sugar, coffee extract, and salt together until the ingredients are smooth and light in color.
- Combine. Gently pour the egg mixture into the bowl with the chocolate, stirring constantly. Once thickened, use a spatula to gently fold in the cocoa powder.
- Bake. Fill your ramekins ¾ of the way full, dollop peanut butter in the center, and spoon the chocolate batter on top. Bake just until the outside of the lava cake is set. The center will still look underdone!
- Cool. Let the dessert cool in the ramekin. Then, flip it onto a plate, add your toppings of choice, and enjoy warm.
*Pro-Tip: Place your ramekin on a baking sheet before adding it to the oven. This will help catch any spills that may occur, keeping your oven clean!
Of course, you can serve this chocolate Nutella lava cake on its own, but we think more is more. You can never go wrong with extra toppings!
- Powdered Sugar
- Chocolate Sauce
- Caramel Sauce
- Nutella Drizzle
- Coconut Flakes
- Berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries)
- Peanut Butter Drizzle
- Chopped Nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans)
- Ice Cream
Can I Make This Nutella Lava Cake Recipe Ahead of Time?
This easy lava cake recipe is best served right away. However, if you want to plan ahead, the batter can be prepared and kept covered in the fridge for up to two days.
We do not recommend baking Nutella lava cake ahead of time as the center will set, and you’ll no longer have the melty texture you’re looking for.
How Do I Reheat a Lava Cake?
Place your lava cake upside down on a plate, and warm it in the microwave in 30-second increments until your desired temperature is reached. This will help create a molten center again!
Is Lava Cake Raw in the Middle?
No, although liquid, when baked properly the center of lava cake recipes still reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit. As a result, they’re considered to be fully cooked and safe to eat.
More Chocolate Hazelnut Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Hazelnut Skillet Brownie
- Nutella Stuffed Biscuit Doughnuts
- Hazelnut Chocolate Tart with Candied Walnuts
- Hazelnut Chocolate Crock Pot Candy
Nutella Lava Cake Recipe with Peanut Butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup Nutella
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon peanut butter
- Optional: chocolate chips for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8-10 ounce ramekin, and set aside.
- Add the flour, baking powder, Nutella, milk, and salt to a bowl. Whisk to combine.¼ cup all-purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ cup Nutella, 3 Tablespoons milk, Pinch of salt
- Pour the mixture into the prepared ramekin, and dollop the peanut butter in the center. Smooth the batter on top. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top, if desired.1 Tablespoon peanut butter, Optional: chocolate chips for topping
- Bake 16 minutes or just until the batter has set. Be careful not to overbake!
- Cool for 1 minute, and dig in!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.