This Summer Berry Salad recipe is sweet, refreshing, and loaded with nutrients. Topped with a tangy poppyseed dressing, it’s the perfect warm-weather meal. Serve it on its own, or pair it with your favorite main courses for an easy meal that’s so tasty you won’t believe it’s healthy!
We make fruit salad all the time as a sweet side or easy snack. However, sometimes we need to turn it into a complete meal. That’s where this summer berry salad comes in to save the day! Made with a variety of fresh fruit and veggies, it’s light, refreshing, and full of flavor to fill you up without weighing you down when the weather gets hot. Although, it’s so tasty don’t be surprised when you find yourself making it all year long.
Why We Love This Summer Berry Fruit Salad
- It’s filling enough to be served on its own but also pairs well with all your favorite proteins and main courses.
- This berry salad is full of fresh produce for an abundance of flavors and textures.
- You can easily mix and match your favorite ingredients and add-ins.
- Perfect for those times when you need a filling meal fast, you can whip it up in a matter of minutes.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Vibrant and flavorful, this summer berry salad takes full advantage of all the in-season produce with an abundance of fruit and vegetables!
- Greens – Romaine lettuce provides the perfect base for this summer berry salad because the flavor is neutral and the crispness of the leaves provides the perfect counterbalance to the soft fruit. However, any greens you like best can be used! For instance, arugula, spring mix, or spinach all taste great, too.
- Berries – Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries form the bulk of the salad making it sweet and adding the perfect pop. Plus, they’re loaded with antioxidants, nutrients, and fiber!
- Orange Juice and Zest – This adds a sweet, zesty base of flavor to the dressing.
- Honey – Used to sweeten the poppyseed dressing without the need for refined sugar. Plus, it’s a good source of antioxidants, too!
- Poppy Seeds – Add a slightly nutty flavor and just a hint of crunch.
- Lemon Juice – Cuts through some of the sweetness of the orange juice and honey, creating a well-rounded flavor.
How to Make the Best Berry Salad
Recipes don’t get easier than this summer berry salad. Seriously! From start to finish, it takes just a couple of minutes.
- Prepare the Berry Salad. Add your greens to a large bowl and sprinkle all the berries on top.
- Make the Dressing. In a small measuring cup, whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing.
- Toss. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, and toss to combine.
- Enjoy! That’s it. Now, you’re ready to eat!
One of the best things about the simplicity of this summer berry salad is that it makes it soooo easy to customize! Some of our variations and additions include:
- Switching Up the Greens – Use any greens you have on hand. Or, incorporate a combination of them for a completely different taste.
- Using Different Dressing – We prefer to use light, sweet dressings to balance out the freshness of the fruit. But really any dressing tastes great with this recipe. Try swapping out the poppyseed dressing with balsamic, red wine vinaigrette, or green goddess dressing.
- Adding Protein – Transform your berry salad into a complete meal by topping it off with protein like salmon, chicken, shrimp, tuna, turkey, or whatever you like best.
- Incorporating Dairy – You can never go wrong with a sprinkle of creamy cheese! Feta, mozzarella, parmesan, and goat cheese are some of our faves.
- Using More Veggies – Red onions, cucumbers, and tomatoes are all great options to bulk up your salad, making it even more filling and adding more nutrients.
- Adding More Fat – Sprinkle in chopped nuts, avocado, or olives for extra texture and a boost of healthy fats.
- Including Grains – If you love a hearty salad, include a serving of warm grains like quinoa, farro, or rice!
Tips for Keeping Your Salad Fresh
This summer berry salad is best served right away while your ingredients are still super fresh. However, if you have leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 day.
Or, if you want to prepare in advance, wash your berries, and combine them in a container with the greens. They’ll stay fresh in the fridge for 2-3 days. Store the dressing in a separate airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks!
When you’re ready to eat, give the dressing a good shake, pour it over your salad, and enjoy.
This berry salad is an awesome side dish to serve at any summer barbecue or potluck! There’s nothing it doesn’t pair well with. However, some of our favorite combinations include:
- Turkey Caprese Sandwiches
- Oven-Baked Chipotle Chicken Skewers
- Peri Peri Chicken Drumsticks
- Phyllo Spinach Pie
- Spanakopita Triangles
More Summer Salad Recipes
We have a whole collection of satisfying salad recipes here! However, some of our favorites for the summer include:
- Easy Summer Pasta Salad with Fruit
- Green Goddess Salad
- Chickpea Cucumber Feta Salad
- Cucumber Thai Salad
Summer Berry Salad Recipe with Poppy Seed Dressing
- 6 cups romaine lettuce
- 2 cups strawberries (chopped)
- 2 cup blueberries
- 2 cups blackberries
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice + zest
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- In a bowl, add the lettuce and berries.
- In a small measuring cup, whisk the orange juice, orange zest, honey, poppy seeds, and lemon juice.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, and toss to combine.
- Enjoy right away, or store in the fridge for up to 1 day.
Absolutely delicious! It’s the perfect refreshing meal with so many options to add in. I like to add some chicken, feta and almonds or roasted sunflower seeds for a crunch. The dressing is yummy and super easy to throw together. I’m looking forward to trying other recipes from these two <3
Sounds delicious! Love the additions, let us know what recipes you try next! xo, Alia and Radwa