Warm spices, crisp apples, and a sweet icing combine to transform store-bought cinnamon roll dough into a truly decadent breakfast perfect for winter and fall. Serve these Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Rolls warm for holiday brunches, cozy morning breakfasts, and everything in between.
Why You’ll Love These Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Cinnamon roll recipes are served on repeat in our homes and hold a special place in our hearts, reminding us of snow days spent at home and holidays gathered around the breakfast table with the family. Growing up, our mom always made classic cinnamon rolls from a can. Although we now prefer to make out own recipes like baklava cinnamon rolls and biscoff cinnamon rolls, we still love (and utilize) the simplicity of pre-made dough. We just spruce it up a bit as we did with these apple cinnamon rolls! They’re:
- Elevated with sweet, crisp apples.
- Prepared in the slow cooker for a crowd-pleasing breakfast.
- Fragrant enough to make your entire home smell amazing.
- Perfect for holiday breakfasts, brunch parties, and weekend treats!
Simple Ingredients You’ll Need
With just a few additions to the standard recipe, the ingredients needed for these slow cooker apple cinnamon rolls are few and simple. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Storebought Cinnamon Roll Dough – We love Grands cinnamon rolls, but any brand you have on hand will work.
- Apples – We recommend using baking apples that are just a little tart and perfectly crisp. Sweeter apples such as Gala or Fuji which are meant for snacking are likely to turn to mush as they cook. Our favorites are Honeycrisp and Granny Smith!
- Heavy Cream – This is used to form the base of the custard topping that truly transforms the cinnamon rolls into a decadent recipe.
- Eggs – These are necessary to thicken the custard mixture, helping it solidify as it cooks, clinging to the baked cinnamon rolls so that every bite is loaded with a creamy flavor.
- Cinnamon – Our favorite warm spice, cinnamon just screams fall and makes every bite taste like a freshly baked apple crisp.
- Vanilla – An essential baking ingredient, vanilla is added to the custard to enhance the rest of the ingredients.
- Condensed Milk – This is poured on top just before cooking for the most ooey gooey succulent cinnamon rolls you’ll ever make.
How to Make the Best Slow Cooker Cinnamon Rolls
Unlike traditional cinnamon roll recipes that require hours in the kitchen and complicated instructions in order to roll out the dough, this version comes together in minutes. It’s cooked in the slow cooker so you can set it and forget it!
- Cut the cinnamon rolls into quarters.
- Butter or grease the slow cooker, and arrange half of the cinnamon roll pieces in the bottom.
- Sprinkle the apple pieces on top followed by the remaining cinnamon rolls.
- Prepare the custard, whisking the ingredients together. Then, pour it over the cinnamon rolls followed by the condensed milk.
- Cover, and cook until fluffy and slightly golden-brown on top.
- Drizzle with icing on top, and serve warm.
Just when you think these slow cooker apple cinnamon rolls couldn’t get any better, we’ve got a few tips to guarantee they’re failproof and perfect for you!
Cut the Recipe in Half. If you have a smaller slow cooker, you can easily cut the recipe in half in order not to overcrowd it. You want to make sure the pieces are arranged in single layers and not crowded on top of each other. Otherwise, they won’t cook. Just be sure to check on your apple cinnamon rolls for doneness after 3 hours, as the cooking time will likely vary!
Prevent Burning the Bottom of the Rolls. Due to the fact that all slow cookers are different, baking times and temperatures will vary. So, in order to prevent the bottom of your rolls from burning, we recommend placing a piece of aluminum foil or
Create Dairy-Free Apple Cinnamon Rolls. To make this recipe dairy free, just substitute the heavy cream for full-fat coconut milk, and swap out the sweetened condensed milk for coconut-sweetened condensed milk. They’ll have all the flavor with none of the dairy!
If you want to create an absolutely showstopping recipe that looks and tastes like you spend all day in the kitchen, try some of our favorite variations!
Ice Cream. Serve these apple cinnamon rolls warm alongside a cold, creamy scoop of vanilla ice cream to turn this scrumptious breakfast into an irresistible dessert!
Carmel Sauce. Nothing says fall like the classic combination of apples and caramel sauce. Drizzle it on top for an out-of-this-world combination.
Chopped Nuts. These will add a bit of crunch and flavor to the rolls, making them even more unforgettable! Pecans or walnuts make some of the best additions, but feel free to experiment with what you like best.
Should I Peel My Apples Before Baking?
Technically, you don’t have to. However, the skin can be a bit difficult to chew. Therefore, removing it allows for soft, decadent bites!
How Do I Know When My Cinnamon Rolls Are Done?
You’ll know your slow cooker cinnamon rolls are done when they’re fluffy and have a slightly dark golden brown appearance on their tops. Be sure to keep an eye on them to ensure they don’t burn!
Can I Make These Apple Cinnamon Rolls Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can absolutely make this recipe ahead of time! Store leftovers for up to 3 days at room temperature or up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Baked rolls can also be frozen for up to 2-3 months. Then, let them thaw in the fridge overnight, and warm them in the slow cooker, microwave, or oven when you’re ready to eat.
More Cinnamon Roll Recipes
Need more easy cinnamon roll recipes in your life? We’ve got you covered with these great recipes!
- Combining two of breakfast’s best dishes, this Cinnamon Roll French Toast will surely delight everyone in the household!
- If you love coffee and you love cinnamon rolls, this Caramel Macchiato Cinnamon Roll recipe is for you!
- S’mores Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread takes the best parts of several desserts and mixes them together to make an unforgettable dish.
- Using simple ingredients, these Dulce de Leche Cinnamon Rolls are elevated with a sweet topping for unbelievable flavor.
Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- 3 cans grand cinnamon rolls
- 2 cups peeled apples (chopped small (honey crisp or granny smith))
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- reserved icing
- Slice the cinnamon rolls into quarters, reserving the pre-made icing.
- Butter the bottom and sides of the slow cooker or use non-stick cooking spray (*See note below). Arrange half the cinnamon rolls at the bottom.
- Add the apples, and top with remaining cinnamon roll pieces.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk the eggs, heavy cream, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Pour the custard over the cinnamon rolls.
- Add condensed milk. Cover, and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Once cooked, drizzle with the icing. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream, if desired!