This Caramel Macchiato Cinnamon Roll Cake uses just a handful of simple ingredients to transform store-bought cinnamon rolls into a decadent homemade treat!
Why We Love this Caramel Macchiato Cinnamon Roll Cake
If you haven’t noticed, we’re huge fans of cinnamon roll recipes. In fact, they’re one of our favorite weekend breakfast options, and with recipes like Baklava Cinnamon Rolls and Cinnamon Bun
- Is made with less than 10 ingredients.
- Bakes in under an hour.
- Drips with a sweet, gooey glaze.
- Tastes just like your favorite coffee for a recipe you won’t be able to resist!
What Is a Caramel Macchiato?
If you’ve never had one, you’re gonna want to run to your local Starbucks. In Italian, macchiato means “spotted” or “stained.” So, the translation means spotted coffee. A dessert-style coffee drink, caramel macchiatos are made with vanilla syrup, steamed milk, espresso, and caramel sauce. The espresso is poured on top of the milk, creating a dark mark (hence the name), and the caramel sauce is drizzled on top. Until mixed together, the different layers stay separated in pretty layers. However, once combined they create one incredible caffeinated drink!
The Minimal Ingredients You’ll Need
Simplicity is the name of the game in our homes. So, to save time, we used pre-made cinnamon roll dough for the quickest homemade cinnamon roll cake you’ll ever make! Don’t worry. Your guests will never know.
- Cinnamon Rolls – We love Grand’s cinnamon rolls, but whatever you like best can be used.
- Unsalted Butter – This forms the base of the caramel sauce creating a smooth texture.
- Brown Sugar – It’s important to use brown sugar instead of white sugar to create a moist caramel.
- Vanilla Extract – Without this, your cinnamon roll cake won’t be nearly as flavorful.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – This is our secret weapon to making a thick, caramel macchiato-inspired glaze.
- Sea Salt – Just a small pinch goes a long way to enhance the rest of the ingredients and bring you that classic sweet and salty flavor.
- Instant Espresso Powder – Technically optional, the espresso powder infuses the caramel sauce with the best coffee taste. If you don’t have espresso powder on hand, feel free to use instant coffee granules instead.
How to Make the Best Caramel Cinnamon Rolls Cake
Somewhat of a cross between cinnamon rolls and monkey bread, this cinnamon roll cake is made with layers of caramel sauce in a bundt pan! All you have to do is simmer the sauce, and bake.
- Preheat the oven.
- Heat the butter, sugar, heavy cream, espresso powder, and vanilla on medium-high heat. Bring the ingredients to a boil. Then, reduce the heat, and let the mixture simmer for a couple of minutes to form a homemade caramel sauce.
- Pour ⅓ of the caramel sauce into the bottom of a bundt pan.
- Layer the cinnamon rolls on top, alternating with the caramel, making sure to reserve some of the sauce.
- Bake until golden brown and let cool. Then, invert the cinnamon roll cake onto a plate.
- Warm the remaining caramel, and pour it on top.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!
Time-Saving & Baking Tips
If you want to make this cinnamon roll cake even easier to make, follow our tips below!
Use a Storebought Caramel Sauce. To save time, you can easily purchase caramel from the store! Then, just stir in the espresso, and layer it in the pan.
No Bundt Pan? No Problem. If you don’t have a bundt pan on hand, don’t stress! Just use an 11×7 baking pan instead.
Slice the Cinnamon Rolls. For a cinnamon roll cake that’s perfect for sharing, try slicing the dough into bite-sized pieces before layering it in the pan.
Make Ahead Options
This Caramel Macchiato Cinnamon Roll Cake will have you absolutely drooling as it bakes. So, the chance of leftovers is slim to none. However, if necessary, you can store them at room temperature for up to 2 days or in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Or, pop the cake in the freezer for up to 6 weeks! Then, let it thaw in the freezer and warm in the oven or microwave.
More Simple Cinnamon Roll Recipes
Looking for even more cinnamon roll recipes guaranteed to impress your guests? Try these fun variations!
- Warm spices, crisp apples, and a sweet icing combine to transform store-bought cinnamon roll dough into a truly amazing breakfast perfect for winter and fall with this Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Roll recipe!
- This S’mores Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread combines two of the best sweet treats into one incredible recipe.
- This Cinnamon Roll French Toast utilizes pre-made dough to make a truly magnificent breakfast.
- Gooey and sweet, these Dulce de Leche Cinnamon Rolls are created with just 3 ingredients and are so super easy to make!
Caramel Macchiato Cinnamon Roll Cake
- 2 packages Grand's cinnamon rolls (or cinnamon roll dough of choice)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder (add an extra 1 teaspoon for a stronger coffee flavor)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a saucepan on medium-high heat, add butter, sugar, heavy cream, espresso powder, and vanilla. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Cut the cinnamon rolls in half or into bite-sized pieces. Pour about 1/3 of the caramel mixture at the bottom of a non-stick bundt pan. Arrange a layer of cinnamon rolls on top. Repeat until all of the cinnamon roll dough has been used, reserving some of the caramel sauce.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Carefully invert on a plate. Warm the remaining caramel sauce in the microwave, ~20-30 seconds. Pour over the cinnamon rolls. Serve warm, and devour!