The ultimate mashup, this S’mores Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread recipe is perfect for holiday brunches, date night desserts, or a weekday treat. Pre-made cinnamon rolls are broken up and clumped together to form the base. Then, s’mores mix-ins are added, and caramel sauce is drizzled on top for a decadent flavor and a fluffy, sticky texture no one can resist.
Table of Contents
Monkey bread is one of our go-to recipes for holiday breakfasts! Of course, you can never go wrong with the original version. However, we love to switch things up with flavors like our Pecan Caramel Homemade Monkey Bread and this Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread recipe!
It’s a fun way to switch up a classic recipe making it extra delicious and fun to eat. Plus, with a few shortcuts, it’s just as easy to make as classic monkey bread with twice the flavor.
Why Is Monkey Bread Called Monkey Bread?
Unlike cinnamon rolls, French toast, or other breakfast recipes, monkey bread is meant to be pulled apart and eaten. Instead of being baked and presented as a roll or big loaf, the bread is pieced together into bite-sized bites.
As a result, the act of pinching off and eating the pieces resembles how a monkey eats. And this is how monkey bread gets its name!
What’s In S’mores Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread?
Classic monkey bread recipes are made with biscuit dough and a sweet butter topping. However, for this recipe, we switched things up a bit! Here are the 8 ingredients you’ll need:
- Cinnamon Rolls – We love Pillsbury Grand Cinnamon Rolls, but any pre-made variety will work.
- Graham Cracker Crumbs – You can usually find pre-made graham cracker crumbs in the baking aisle of most grocery stores. Or, you can easily make your own by crushing up whole graham cracker sleeves.
- Dark Chocolate Chips – This replicates the chocolate in s’mores.
- Mini Marshmallows – We like to use mini marshmallows to coat the bread more evenly, ensuring you get sticky sweet goodness in every bite.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is melted down to form the base of the caramel sauce.
- Sugar – Light brown sugar sweetens the caramel while keeping it moist and spreadable. Granulated sugar cannot be replaced!
- Whipping Cream – This helps the caramel thicken and become more stable.
- Salt – Just a pinch helps enhance the flavor of the caramel.
How to Make Monkey Bread with Cinnamon Rolls
One of the best things about this easy cinnamon roll monkey bread recipe is that it’s virtually failproof! Seriously, it’s so easy even the kids can do it. Just follow the steps below.
- Prepare the Caramel Sauce. Add the butter, sugar, heavy whipping cream, and salt to a saucepan over medium-high heat. Mix to combine, bringing the mixture to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to medium, and let it simmer for 5 minutes before setting it aside.
- Coat the Cinnamon Rolls. Break each cinnamon roll into 4 pieces, and roll them in the graham cracker crumbs in a small bowl.
- Layer. Pour ⅓ of the caramel sauce into the bottom of a bundt pan greased with cooking spray. Layer part of the cinnamon roll pieces in an even layer on top followed by part of the chocolate chips and part of the marshmallows. Repeat with a second layer of cinnamon rolls, followed by the rest of the chocolate chips and marshmallows. Pour another ⅓ of the caramel on top.
- Bake. Place the bundt pan in the oven until the cinnamon rolls are fluffy and baked through.
- Serve. Set the pan aside to cool. Then, invert the pan onto a plate, and pour the remaining caramel over the bread. Enjoy while it’s warm!
What Can I Add?
Monkey bread is incredibly versatile! Feel free to mix and match any ingredients and mix-ins you have on hand to add more flavor or make something completely new. For example, some of our favorite variations include:
- Chopped apples or banana coins
- Replacing the caramel sauce with chocolate ganache or cinnamon roll frosting
- Adding chopped nuts like walnuts, almonds, or pecans
- Including sprinkles
- Using white chocolate chips
How to Store
Monkey bread of any kind is best enjoyed right away while it’s still soft, fluffy, and fresh. However, if you happen to have leftovers, follow the storage tips below.
- To Store: Leftover monkey bread with cinnamon rolls should be tightly covered with plastic wrap or transferred to an airtight container. It will stay fresh at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- To Reheat: Enjoy leftovers at room temperature. Or, pop them in the microwave to warm them back up.
Common Questions About S’mores Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread
Absolutely! Although bundt pans give monkey bread its classic bundt cake shape, they can be assembled and baked in any pan you have on hand. Square baking dishes, loaf pans, and even tube pans work great.
It can be difficult to tell when monkey bread is baked all the way through. For the best results, position it in the center of the oven, and let it cook until it’s fluffy and golden brown. Then, to be completely sure, use a digital thermometer to ensure the internal temperature reaches 190° Fahrenheit.
If you want to double this easy s’mores cinnamon roll monkey bread recipe, we recommend using two pans to ensure it cooks evenly.
No, unfortunately, monkey bread does not freeze well. When it thaws the sugar gets super hard and turns soggy ruining the fluffy dough.
More S’mores-Inspired Recipes
Looking for more ways to enjoy s’mores flavors without the need for a campfire? Don’t miss out on the recipes below!
S’mores Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread Recipe
For the Caramel Sauce:
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
For the Monkey Bread:
- 2 packages Pillsbury Grand Cinnamon Rolls 17.5-ounce cans
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips divided
- 2 cups mini marshmallows divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Liberally grease a large bundt pan with cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add all the ingredients for the caramel sauce. Whisk to combine. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to medium, and let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.½ cup unsalted butter, 1 ¼ cups packed light brown sugar, 1 cup heavy whipping cream, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Break each cinnamon roll into 4 equal-sized pieces. Roll each piece in the graham cracker crumbs, coating completely.2 packages Pillsbury Grand Cinnamon Rolls, 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Pour ⅓ of the caramel sauce into the bottom of the prepared bundt pan.
- Arrange 1/2 of the cinnamon roll pieces on top in an even layer. Sprinkle ½ the chocolate chips and ½ the marshmallows on top of the dough.1 cup dark chocolate chips, 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Add the remaining cinnamon roll pieces followed by the remaining chocolate chips and marshmallows. Pour another ⅓ of the caramel sauce on top.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until the cinnamon rolls are golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven, and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Invert the s’mores cinnamon roll monkey bread onto a place, and pour the remaining caramel on top.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!
- Store covered at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.