Chewy, gooey, and delicious, S’mores Cookies are filled with rich dark chocolate, soft marshmallows, and crumbly graham cracker pieces. They’re everything you love about s’mores in the convenience of a cookie. No campfire required.
Did you make s’mores puns growing up? It’s pretty hard not to when you’re sitting around a fireplace licking gooey marshmallows and melted chocolate off your fingers, isn’t it? For us, they were always a staple growing up, and s’mores are still a summertime favorite now! However, we don’t always have the means to sit around a campfire roasting marshmallows.
So, instead of missing out, we decided to come up with a solution. Luckily, we created these s’mores cookies! They’re full of all the flavor you remember but are baked in the oven so you can make them any time you’d like. Plus, they’re a little less messy and can be taken on the go. Don’t worry, though, this s’mores cookie recipe is still super simple. We’ll teach you everything you’ll need to know below!
What Is S’more Short For?
No one knows for sure the exact origins of the word s’more. That said, it is commonly thought to be a contraction for the words some and more. As in, “Do you want some more?” The first known recipe was published under the name Some Mores by the Girl Scouts in 1927 in a document called Tramping and Trailing with the Girl Scouts. (Source)
According to our research, no one knows for sure whether or not the Girl Scouts group created the recipe. However, no one else has claimed to have created them either!
S’mores Cookies Ingredients
For these cookies, we started off with a basic chocolate chip batter. Then, we made it even better with all the s’mores goodies! In addition to a few pantry staples, here’s what you’ll need:
- All-Purpose Flour
- Unsalted Butter – Since we’re adding salt separately, you won’t want any in your butter!
- Granulated Sugar – White sugar combines with butter to create thick, puffy cookies.
- Brown Sugar – Brown sugar creates soft, chewy cookies and helps them spread out as they bake.
- Eggs – You’ll want a whole egg and one egg yolk.
- Vanilla Extract
- Marshmallows – Mini marshmallows work best because they melt faster and are easier to mix into the dough. Or, you can also use full-sized marshmallows! We just recommend breaking them into pieces if you do.
- Dark Chocolate Chunks – We love dark chocolate for its rich flavor. However, semi-sweet chocolate works too. If you’d like, you could even chop up a Hershey’s bar for a more classic s’mores flavor!
- Graham Cracker Crumbs – You can find pre-made graham cracker crumbs in most grocery stores. Or, you can easily make your own! Just buy whole graham crackers, and crush them into tiny pieces.
How to Make this S’mores Cookie Recipe
These s’mores cookies could not be any easier to make! All you have to do is combine the ingredients, pop them in the oven, and you’ll have a mouthwatering dessert in no time. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Combine. To start, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch in a large bowl. Whisk them together. Set the bowl aside.
- Beat. Next, using a stand or hand mixer, beat the butter and sugars in a second large bowl for about 2 minutes or until they are well-combined. Once smooth, add in the full egg, and beat the mixture again. Then, place the egg yolk and vanilla in the bowl, and beat for a third time until the ingredients are just combined.
- Scrape. Using a spatula, scrape down the dough from the edges of the bowl, and beat the ingredients gently once more.
- Add. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the butter mixture, beating continuously on low speed until the dough is just combined.
- Mix In. Be sure to save a handful of marshmallows. Add the remaining marshmallows, chocolate chips, and graham crackers to the dough. Use your mixer to mix the ingredients one more time until the ingredients are incorporated. Be careful not to overmix your dough!
- Refrigerate. Place the dough in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat & Portion. While the dough is chilling, heat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. After an hour, portion the dough into ¼ cup-sized pieces. Roll each piece between your palms to form balls, and add them to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Make sure your smore’s cookies are roughly 2 inches apart! Otherwise, they’ll stick to each other while baking.
- Bake. Place your cookies in the oven for 12-14 minutes.
- Cool. Remove the cookies from the oven, and let them cool completely before enjoying!
Secret Tips and Tricks
Follow our secret tips and tricks below to make this s’mores cookie recipe even easier!
- Measure Your Flour. This is the most common mistake we see people make. For the most accurate results, use a food scale. Or, if you don’t have a scale, use the spoon and level method instead. To do so, use a spoon to scoop flour into your measuring cup, and level it off with a knife. Here’s a closer look at how it’s done!
- Don’t Overbake! If you overbake your cookies, you’ll lose some of the s’mores flavor. You want them to be golden brown on the edges but still soft in the center like the middle of a s’more.
- Make a Mess? Sometimes with this recipe, marshmallows will ooze out of the sides. Don’t worry! Just use a spatula to scoop them up and place them back in the cookies. As the baked dough cools, it’ll harden around the marshmallows.
Room Temperature: When kept in an airtight container s’mores cookies will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
Freeze: To freeze your cookies, roll the dough into balls, and place them on a baking sheet in the freezer. Once hard, place them in a sealable bag, and store them for up to 3 months.
Prep Ahead: If you want, you can prepare the dough ahead of time and bake it later! Keep it covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Or, place it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Smores Recipes You’ll Love
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini marshmallows cut in half or marshmallow bits, divided
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chunks
- ½ cup graham crackers crumbs
- Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cornstarch together in a large bowl. Set it aside.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat the butter and sugars in a second large bowl for about 2 minutes or until the ingredients are smooth and creamy.
- Add the egg to the bowl with the butter and sugar, and beat the ingredients again. Then, add the egg yolk and vanilla, and beat until they are just combined. Scrape the edges of the bowl, and beat once more.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the bowl with the butter mixture, beating continuously on low speed until the ingredients are just combined.
- Reserve a handful of the torn marshmallows, and set them aside. Add the remaining marshmallows, chocolate chips, and graham crackers to the dough. Beat the ingredients on low until they are just combined. Be careful not to overmix!
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 350° F.
- Once chilled, portion the dough into ¼ cup-sized pieces. Roll each piece between two hands to shape them into balls.
- Place the balls of dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies at 350° F for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and leave the cookies on the sheet to cool completely.