This S’mores Braided Pastry recipe looks and tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen but comes together in minutes. Oozing with rich chocolatey, sweet marshmallows, and crisp graham crackers, it’s everything you love about campfire s’mores in the convenience of a braided pastry!
Table of Contents
S’mores Like You’ve Never Had Them Before!
We love a classic campfire s’more, but we don’t always have access to a campfire or nice weather. So, we satisfy our cravings with s’mores-inspired desserts like s’mores cookies, s’mores bars, and this s’mores braided pastry instead!
Just as tasty as the real deal, this recipe is:
- Flakey on the outside yet soft and gooey in the center.
- Bursting with sweet, sticky s’mores fillings.
- Easy to assemble and bakes in less than 30 minutes.
- Loved by kids and adults alike!
Simple & Sweet Ingredients You’ll Need
For this s’mores-inspired braided pastry, you’ll need everything you think of when it comes to s’mores plus a few extra items to make it extra finger-licking good. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Puff Pastry – This light and flaky dough can typically be found in the refrigerated store of your local grocery store. Or, if you’re feeling ambitious you can also make your own homemade puff pastry.
- Chocolate – A milk chocolate Hershey’s bar is included in the center of the dessert like a standard s’more. Then, we sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top for extra chocolatey goodness.
- Marshmallows – We use thin, full-sized marshmallows and layer them over the chocolate bar. However, mini marshmallows could be sprinkled on top instead if you prefer.
- Graham Crackers – Full-sized graham crackers are included in the braided pastry fillings, and graham cracker crumbs are sprinkled on top. You can find pre-made graham cracker crumbs in the baking section of most local grocery stores. Or, make your own by smashing full-sized graham crackers in a sealable bag.
- A Large Egg – This is whisked and spread on top of the dough to help create a crisp, golden exterior.
- Powdered Sugar and Water – When combined, these form the perfect homemade glaze.
How to Make a S’mores Breded Pastry Without the Campfire
It looks like it came from a fancy bakery, but we promise the only thing difficult about making this braided pastry is waiting for it to finish baking!
- Prepare the Pastry. To begin, let your puff pastry thaw just enough so that it’s easy to work with. It should still be cold! Then, spread it out into a large rectangle.
- Fill. Place the chocolate bar in the middle of the dough, and layer the marshmallows and graham cracker sheets on top.
- Braid. Working from the center of the dough, make 1-inch diagonal cuts all the way down each side. Slice off the top and bottom two pieces of dough. Braid, starting at the top and folding alternating dough strips all the way down the pastry. Tuck the bottom pieces under on each end, and brush the top of the dough with the egg wash.
- Bake. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips and graham cracker crumbs on top, and place the braided pastry on a baking sheet in the oven until it’s fluffy and golden brown.
- Top. While the pastry bakes, whisk the powdered sugar and water together in a small mixing bowl. Then, drizzle it over the cooled pastry using as little or as much as you’d like, and dig in!
*Pro-Tip: Add more powdered sugar or water as needed to adjust the consistency of the icing.
Common Questions About This S’mores Braided Pastry Recipe
If you have leftovers, they can be wrapped in plastic wrap or foil or transferred to an airtight container and stored at room temperature for up to two days.
Yes, feel free to use phyllo dough, Danish pastry dough, biscuit dough, or crescent roll dough, and adjust the baking time as needed. Just keep and mind that the taste and texture will change slightly based on what you use.
Absolutely! Feel free to mix and match whatever fillings and flavors you like best. For instance, you could swap out the chocolate bar with a different candy like Reese’s or KitKats. Or, include extra items like peanut butter, caramel, strawberries, or bananas.
More Easy Pastry Desserts
If you enjoy this s’mores braided pastry, you won’t want to miss out on more of our favorite puff pastry and phyllo dough desserts such as:
- Easy Peanut Butter Puff Pastry Braid
- Baklava Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls
- Chocolate Hazelnut Stuffed Phyllo
- Crinkle Phyllo Dough Recipe
S’mores Braided Pastry Recipe
- 1 puff pastry sheet frozen and slightly thawed
- 1 large Hershey's chocolate bar
- 6 thin marshmallows
- 1 1/4 graham cracker sheets
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 egg whisked
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tsp water
- 2 tbsp graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slightly thaw your puff pastry until it is easy to work with yet still cold. Open into a large rectangle. In the center add your chocolate, marshmallows, and about 1 1/4 graham cracker sheets.
- Cut 1 inch sections from the center out.
- Carefully cut off the top two and bottom two pieces.
- Fold the top piece down and start braiding, one piece at a time, overlapping and alternating. End with tucking in the bottom. Brush with whisked egg.
- Top with mini chocolate chips and graham cracker crumbs. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl add powdered sugar and water. Mix until it looks like an icing. Once the pastry has cooled slightly, drizzle with the icing. *If icing is too runny, add more powdered sugar, if it is too thick and 1 tsp at a time of water until it is the right consistency.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.