Made with just six ingredients, this Crinkle Phyllo Dough Recipe is the easiest dessert you’ll ever bake. Add your favorite toppings, and serve it warm for an irresistible treat the whole family will love!
Finger-Licking Good Phyllo
If you’re a fan of Middle Eastern cuisine or desserts in particular, then you’re probably familiar with phyllo. It’s the dough used to make the ever-so-popular baklava dessert we all know and love. So, when we saw @ramenasaidwow going viral on TikTok for her crinkle dessert, we knew we had to jump on board! After all, who doesn’t love a good pastry? Especially when it’s super quick and easy to make. For this crinkle phyllo, we took her recipe and added our own twist with some tasty toppings, but we’ll get into that more in a bit!
What is Phyllo Dough?
Before we dig into the recipe, let’s first talk about what exactly phyllo dough is. Also known as filo, phyllo dough is a type of unleavened pastry dough. Today, it is typically used in Middle Eastern recipes to make both sweet and savory pastries such as Spanakopita and börek. Similar to puff pastry, phyllo dough is recognized by the thin, flaky, and crispy texture it forms once baked.
Is Phyllo Dough the Same as Puff Pastry?
As mentioned, phyllo dough and puff pastry are very similar. However, they are not exactly the same. Both are used to make pastries and yield a thin, crispy texture. Yet, there are some key differences. For instance:
- The Fat Content. Puff pastry gets its name due to the light, puffiness that results after baking. This is due to the layers of butter included in the dough. Meanwhile, phyllo remains thin after baking and is fairly low in fat, at least when compared to puff pastry.
- Preparation. Puff pastry is made by folding fat in between layers of dough. With every fold, a new layer is added, and soon there are hundreds of layers in the dough. However, phyllo is made by stretching the dough into long, thin sheets and brushing them with melted butter or oil.
How to Make this Phyllo Dough Recipe
You aren’t going to believe how simple this crinkle phyllo is to make! The secret is in buying pre-made phyllo pastry. Don’t worry, though. We won’t tell if you don’t! Just follow the steps below to make this mouthwatering dessert!
- Preheat. Set your oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Crinkle. As the name suggests, you’re going to start by “crinkling” or folding the sheets of phyllo. To do so, layer two sheets (no more, no less) on top of each other. Then, fold them over sort of like you’re making a paper fan or accordion. Once folded, place the crinkled dough in the bottom of a baking pan.
- Repeat. Keep layering and folding phyllo dough until all of the sheets have been used and are arranged tightly in the pan.
- Add the Butter. Next, melt the butter in the microwave, and drizzle it over the dough. Place your baking dish in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Whisk. While your dough bakes, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and sugar in a small bowl. Then, drizzle it over the phyllo pastry.
- Bake. Pop the baking dish bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until your phyllo pastry dough is golden brown and flaky to the touch.
- Add Toppings. Finish off your dessert by adding your favorite toppings, cut a slice, and enjoy!
Phyllo Pastry Toppings
For this recipe, we topped our pastry with crushed pistachios and some fresh strawberries. However, the options are endless! For instance, if you feel like getting creative try adding:
- Chocolate Chips
- Caramel Sauce
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Ice Cream
How to Store and Serve
In our opinion, this crinkle phyllo dough recipe is best served fresh from the oven while it is still warm.
If you want to make it ahead of time, keep your phyllo covered in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Then, when you’re ready to eat, just warm it in the oven for a few minutes.
Crinkle Phyllo Dough Recipe
- 8 oz phyllo dough
- 1 stick butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- Optional Toppings: pistachios strawberries
- Defrost the phyllo according to package instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Take 2 pieces of phyllo at a time, layering them over each other. Hold the sheets together at the top, letting them hang down from your fingers. Begin to crinkle the sheets by folding them over each other accordion-style until the bottom reaches the top.
- Lay the folded dough in an ungreased baking pan starting at the short side. Repeat step 3, folding all of the layers of dough and placing them in the pan until it is full.
- Bake at 350° F for 10 minutes.
- While baking, melt the butter in the microwave or in a small saucepan on the stove.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and evenly drizzle the butter on top of the dough. Bake again for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and sugar together in a small bowl until it is smooth.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and evenly pour the egg mixture over the dough.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the phyllo dough is golden brown and flaky to the touch.
- Top with pistachios and strawberries, if desired, and enjoy!
If you try this Crinkle Phyllo Dough Recipe, let us know how it went and what toppings you included in the comments below!