This easy S’mores Bars recipe is made with 3 layers for all the sweet, gooey, deliciousness of s’mores with no campfire required. We start with a buttery graham cracker crust. Then, we add a rich chocolate ganache and a marshmallow meringue topping for a drool-worthy summer-inspired dessert you’ll find yourself making all year long!
Table of Contents
Nothing says summer like s’mores! This classic treat is a childhood favorite perfect for family gatherings, holiday parties, weekend cookouts, and every occasion in between. However, as delicious as they are, we don’t always have time or means to get a fire pit going to roast our marshmallows.
But that doesn’t mean we can’t satisfy our cravings! Instead, we just make an indoor s’mores dessert. With options like our Indoor S’mores Board and our S’mores Chocolate Cake, there’s always a way. That said, our latest s’mores creation might be our best yet!
This easy s’mores recipe has all the same taste and texture as traditional s’mores with no campfire required. Instead, we create three separate layers, bake them in the oven, and toast the top. The end result is a crowd-pleasing treat that’s perfect for feeding a crowd!
Why You’ll Love This S’mores Bars Recipe
- It uses pantry staple ingredients.
- The layers come together quickly.
- There’s no need for a fire, meaning you can make these s’mores bars any time of the year.
- One batch makes more than enough to feed a hungry crowd.
What’s In Easy S’mores Bars?
Although they look and taste similar to standard s’mores, you won’t find any chocolate bars or marshmallows in this recipe. Don’t worry, though! The ingredients are still simple, easy to find, and budget-friendly. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Graham Cracker Crumbs – You can find pre-made graham cracker crumbs in the baking section of most grocery stores. Or, make them yourself by smashing up sheets of graham crackers.
- Butter – Unsalted butter works best to coat the graham crackers, making a rich base.
- Brown Sugar – This helps sweeten the crust while keeping it soft and moist.
- Salt – Just a pinch helps enhance and deepen the flavor of the rest of the ingredients.
- Dark Chocolate Chips – We love the contrasting flavor of the bitter dark chocolate with the sweet marshmallow-like meringue. However, if preferred, semi-swet or milk chocolate chips could be used, too.
- Heavy Cream – This makes for a smooth, silky texture and decadent flavor.
- Unsalted Butter – Used to create a melt-in-your-mouth texture.
- Vanilla Extract – High-quality pure vanilla extract enhances the rest of the ingredients.
- Egg Whites – These are crucial to help the sugar dissolve and make sure your meringue becomes fluffy and holds its shape. Make sure no yolks get in!
- Sugar – Regular granulated sugar sweetens the mixture.
- Cornstarch – Used to help thicken the layer, making it extra shiny, too.
- Vanilla Extract – Again, this helps deepen the flavor.
How to Make the Best S’mores Bar Recipe
Although it’s not difficult to make, this recipe does require a bit of planning. So, be sure to allow a day in advance before you plan to serve this treat, and carve out a little time to make them during your day. They’re worth the wait!
- Form the Crust. Combine the ingredients for the crust in a large bowl. Mix until the crumbs are completely coated with butter. Press the mixture into a square baking dish lined with
parchment paper. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until it’s golden and set. Set aside to cool.
- Make the Ganache. Heat the heavy cream in the microwave until hot. Then, stir in the chocolate chips, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Allow the mixture to set for 2-3 minutes, and whisk it until it forms a rich chocolatey sauce. Pour the ganache over the cooled crust, and place it in the fridge.
- Prepare the Meringue. Combine the egg whites and sugar in a double broiler over medium heat, whisking until the sugar dissolves. Next, transfer the mixture to a stand mixer, and beat until it becomes thick and glossy. Add the cornstarch and vanilla, and beat again to combine. Spread the meringue over the chocolate ganache.
- Chill. Place the baking dish in the fridge for at least 4 hours or up to overnight to allow the layers to set.
- Finish and Serve. Toast the meringue by placing the baking dish under the broiler or using a blow torch. Be careful not to let it burn! Finally, slice your S’mores Bars, and dig in!
Tips and Tricks
- Use Extra
Parchment Paper. When lining your baking pan, leave extra parchment paperhanging over both sides. Then, all you have to do is lift it up to remove the bars.
- Cover the Ganache Layer Completely. To prevent the ganache from burning under the broiler or blow tortch, make sure every last inch is covered with meringue.
- Allow Enough Time to Set. We know it’s super hard to wait, but trust us. It’s worth it to let your S’mores Bars chill overnight. This ensures all the layers are solid and fused together so you can eat them without them falling apart.
- Slice Clean S’mores Bars. There’s nothing worse than going through all that work just to have the layers all blend together! To prevent this use a clean, sharp knife. Run it under water, and wipe it off with a clean paper towel or cloth after each slice.
How to Store
Once formed, these homemade S’mores Bars can be transferred to an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. We don’t recommend freezing them as they’re likely to become soggy and flat once thawed.
More S’mores Flavored Desserts
Looking for more ways to enjoy the flavor of s’mores? Don’t miss out on the recipes below!
- S’mores Cookies
- S’mores Stuffed Dates
- S’mores Graham Cracker Toffee Bars
- S’mores Oatmeal Cookie Skillet
The Best S’mores Bars Recipe
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 8 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Graham Cracker Crust: Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Line a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper, letting it hang over both sides.
- Add the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, brown sugar, and salt to a large bowl. Mix to combine, ensuring the crumbs are completely coated with butter.
- Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish in an even layer.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, and set aside to cool.
- For the Ganache: Warm the heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl for 1-1 ½ minutes or until hot.
- Add the chocolate chips, butter, and vanilla. Allow the mixture to sit for 2-3 minutes. Whisk until the ingredients are well combined and a rich chocolate sauce is formed.
- Pour the ganache over the cooled crust, and place it back in the fridge to set.
- For the Meringue: In a double boiler over medium heat, combine the egg whites and sugar. Be careful not to let the bowl touch the bottom of the pot! Whisk until the sugar dissolves.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat 5-6 minutes or until it thickens and becomes glossy.
- Add the cornstarch and vanilla, and continue to beat 2-3 minutes or until peaks begin to form.
- Spread the meringue evenly over the ganache layer, covering it completely.
- Chill the bars in the fridge for at least 4-5 hours or up to overnight.
- To toast, place the baking dish under the broiler for 2-3 minutes. Or, run a blow troch over the top. Be careful not to let it burn!
- Slice and serve!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.