These Baklava Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls are soft, flaky, and full of sweet, nutty flavor no one can resist. Made in minutes, they’re quick, easy, and perfect for breakfast, brunch, and more!
Why You’ll Love These Baklava Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls
Who doesn’t love a warm, freshly baked cinnamon roll? Soft, flakey, and delicious, they’re nearly impossible to resist! However, we don’t always have time to bake a batch from scratch. That’s where these puff pastry cinnamon rolls come into play! Every bit as delicious as the original, they take two of our favorite sweet treats and turn them into one incredibly easy recipe! They’re:
- Made with 8 ingredients.
- Require no kneading and bake in 20 minutes.
- Combine all the sweet flavors of cinnamon rolls with the nutty, flaky goodness of baklava.
- Are perfect to whip up for breakfast, brunch, or dessert that will satisfy a crowd!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Unlike traditional cinnamon rolls that require lots of flour, eggs, sugar, and other ingredients to make a dough, these baklava puff pastry cinnamon rolls come together with just 8 simple items! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Puff Pastry – This is a type of flaky, light pastry made from a laminated dough. You can make your own, but to save time, we use store-bought versions.
- Butter or Ghee – Used to add a rich flavor.
- Cinnamon – You can’t make cinnamon rolls without plenty of cinnamon!
- Sugar – Regular granulated sugar helps sweeten the filling.
- Nuts – A combination of toasted pistachios and toasted walnuts adds a satisfying crunch and replicates the flavor of baklava we love.
- Egg – This is brushed on top of the unbaked rolls to add extra richness and create a crispy, golden exterior.
- Honey – Used in place of frosting, honey is drizzled over the rolls to create a bolder baklava taste.
How to Make Baklava Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls
Once you see how easy these baklava cinnamon rolls are to make, you’ll never go back to standard recipes again!
- Prepare the Filling. In a bowl, combine the butter, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Prepare the Filing. Sprinkle the mixture over the puff pastry. Sprinkle the nuts on top, and roll the dough tightly onto itself to create a roll. Slice the roll into 12 pieces, and brush the whisked egg on top.
- Bake. Add the cinnamon roll pieces to a greased mini muffin tin. Bake until they are fluffy and golden brown.
- Top. Immediately drizzle honey or simple syrup on top, and enjoy warm!
Thaw the Puff Pastry. You want your puff pastry to be completely thawed but still cold. So, be sure to take the time to let it thaw in the fridge overnight in order for it to roll out easily and bake to fluffy, crinkly perfection.
Work Quickly. Be sure to have your ingredients prepared and ready to go so that you can prepare these puff pastry cinnamon rolls in minutes! This ensures that the butter does not become warm and melts into the dough, creating flaky layers.
Use Floss. The raw puff pastry dough is pretty delicate and can be difficult to slice. If you’re having trouble smashing the dough, try wrapping dental floss around the roll, and pull gently to make clean slices.
Feel free to experiment with this puff pastry cinnamon rolls recipe to create different shapes, sizes, and flavors to make it your own! For instance, some variations include:
- Cinnamon Twists. Wrap the dough around itself to create fluffy cinnamon roll twists.
- Include Cardamom. Add a dash of cardamom to the filling for extra warmth and depth to the flavor.
- Use Chocolate Chips. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the filling alongside or instead of the nuts for a hint of extra sweetness.
- Opt for Nutella. Replace the butter with smooth Nutella for a rich dessert.
- Use Cream Cheese Icing. Gently spread cream cheese icing on top of your rolls in place of the honey.
- Add Orange Zest. For a refreshing citrus taste, sprinkle a bit of orange zest into the filling or on top of the rolls once baked.
Make Ahead and Storage Options
Warm, soft, and full of sweet, nutty flavor, these baklava cinnamon rolls disappear in minutes! However, if you do have leftovers or want to prepare them in advance, they store extremely well, too.
Make Ahead: Follow the recipe as instructed, stopping just before you slice the individual pieces. Then, place the raw cinnamon roll in an airtight container or wrap it with saran wrap, and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
Refrigerator: To store leftovers, transfer your cinnamon rolls to an airtight container, and keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezer: Wrap the unbaked cinnamon roll in plastic wrap, and keep it frozen for up to 2 months. Or, bake your cinnamon rolls as the recipe states, and freeze them in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
To Reheat: Thaw unbaked dough in the fridge overnight. Then, slice and bake it as normal. For baked baklava puff pastry cinnamon rolls, reheat them straight from the freezer at 375° Fahrenheit until your desired temperature is reached.
More Cinnamon Roll Recipes
Looking for more cinnamon roll recipes the whole family will love? Take a look at more of our favorites below!
- Biscoff Cinnamon Rolls
- Caramel Macchiato Cinnamon Rolls
- Easy Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel and Chocolate Chips
- Apple Caramel Cinnamon Rolls
Baklava Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 sheet puff pastry (slightly thawed)
- 3 Tablespoons butter or ghee (softened)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup toasted pistachios (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts (finely chopped)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Honey to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 ° Fahrenheit. Grease a mini muffin tin, and set it aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter, cinnamon, and sugar until well combined.
- Roll out the puff pastry, and spread the cinnamon mixture in an even layer on top. Sprinkle the pistachios and walnuts on top.
- Roll the puff pastry onto itself to create a roll. Slice the dough into 12 pieces, and brush the egg wash on top.
- Place each piece in the prepared muffin tin, and bake for 18-20 minutes or until the cinnamon rolls are golden brown.
- Drizzle honey or simple syrup on top, and serve immediately.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.