Get ready to shake up your breakfast routine with our delicious twist on classic Turkish Eggs — Turkish Poached Eggs with Cottage Cheese!
Imagine perfectly runny eggs, delicately poached to perfection, served atop a creamy bed of tangy, rich whipped cottage cheese with feta. Each bite is a symphony of flavors, with the richness of the eggs perfectly complemented by the creamy texture and tangy notes of the cheeses.
But we’re not done yet! To add a kick of flavor, we drizzle it all with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle on some Aleppo chili pepper. The result? A savory breakfast that’s as satisfying as it is delicious.
Whether you’re looking to impress guests at a brunch gathering or you’re simply treating yourself to a special morning meal, these Turkish Poached Eggs with Cottage Cheese are sure to become a new favorite.
Table of Contents
- Why Our Turkish Poached Eggs Are The Best
- What Are Turkish Poached Eggs?
- What Are Turkish Poached Eggs Made Of?
- Poach, Assemble, and Eat: How to Make Turkish Poached Eggs with Cottage Cheese
- How to Poach an Egg
- Tips For Success
- How to Serve
- Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
- More Breakfast Recipes with Eggs
- Turkish Poached Eggs with Cottage Cheese Recipe Recipe
Why Our Turkish Poached Eggs Are The Best
You might’ve had Turkish poached eggs before, but you’ve never had them like this! Inspired by the moment of spotlight cottage cheese is having, this recipe will become a new go-to for all your breakfast needs.
Here are a few reasons why:
- Just eight simple ingredients are all you need.
- It’s full of healthy fats and protein.
- You can prepare as little or as much as you need to enjoy yourself or feed the whole family.
- Savory and satisfying, it’s the perfect recipe for any time of the day.
What Are Turkish Poached Eggs?
Turkish poached eggs, also known as Turkish eggs or Çılbır/Cilbir (pronounced chil-burr), are a popular savory dish that is reported to have been around since the 15th century. It is a breakfast dish that is made with poached eggs served on top of a garlicky yogurt spread and topped with Aleppo-infused oil or butter.
What Are Turkish Poached Eggs Made Of?
This recipe is a slight twist on traditional versions, but the ingredient list remains short and simple. Here’s what you need:
- Cottage Cheese – This replaces the yogurt, adding extra protein and creating a velvety base.
- Feta Cheese – Included to replicate the creamy texture achieved with yogurt and add a tangy flavor.
- Water – Use as little or as much as you need to smooth out the cottage cheese mixture.
- Garlic – For the best flavor, we recommend using fresh, whole garlic cloves.
- Butter – Salted butter is included for a rich flavor.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Used to thin out the butter and create a smooth drizzle.
- Aleppo Chili Pepper – This adds just a hint of heat with sweet undertones. If you can’t find Aleppo, regular chili flakes or paprika can be used in its place.
- Poached Eggs – Include as many as you’d like.
Poach, Assemble, and Eat: How to Make Turkish Poached Eggs with Cottage Cheese
Once you know how to poach eggs, this recipe is a breeze to make!
- Poach the Eggs. Prepare as many eggs as you want according to the instructions below.
- Prepare the Cheese Base. In a food processor, add the cottage cheese, feta cheese, and garlic cloves. Pulse until smooth. Then, add more water as needed until a smooth, creamy consistency is achieved.
- Make the Seasoning. In a medium pot, add the butter, oil, and Aleppo pepper. Cook until the butter is melted, stirring to combine.
- Combine. Spread the cottage cheese mixture evenly on a plate. Carefully place the poached eggs on top, and drizzle the butter mixture over everything before digging in.
How to Poach an Egg
Poached eggs are crucial to this dish as they’re meant to be soft and ooze onto the yogurt spread underneath. Luckily, learning how to poach an egg is fairly easy to do when you follow the steps below.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. We recommend adding a small amount of vinegar to help the egg white stay intact. You won’t be able to taste it!
- Crack the Eggs. While the water heats, crack your eggs into a small mesh sieve, and drain the whites into a small bowl.
- Create a Swirl. Once the water is boiling, use a wooden spoon to swirl it around and create a vortex or tornado.
- Cook the Eggs. Add an egg to the center of the swirling water. You can only cook them one at a time. Then, remove it with a slotted spoon, and carefully transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat. Bring the water back to a boil, and repeat the process until all your eggs have been poached.
Tips For Success
- Use Fresh Eggs. The fresher your eggs, the easier it will be to poach them and keep their shape.
- Use Room Temperature Dairy. You’ll want to stick with full-fat cottage cheese and feta, and let the ingredients come to room temperature before blending. This will allow for easy mixing.
- Don’t Overheat the Butter Mixture. You want to cook the butter topping just long enough for the butter to melt and the ingredients to combine. Any longer, and it will start to burn.
- Serve immediately. These Turkish poached eggs with cottage cheese are best served right away while the eggs are still warm.
- Add Fresh Herbs. Not included in traditional recipes, we love the brightness a sprinkle of fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro, dill, or mint adds to the flavor of the recipe.
How to Serve
As mentioned, you’ll want to serve these Turkish poached eggs right away. Pair them with thick crusty bread, or pita to scoop up every last bite!
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
Unfortunately, there’s not a good way to store leftovers as the eggs will solidify if reheated and the dairy and oil can become clumpy and separate. So, you’ll want to make just as much as you plan on eating and discard any leftovers.
More Breakfast Recipes with Eggs
Looking for more ways to use up those eggs in your fridge? Here are some of our favorites to help you make the most of those eggs in your fridge:
Turkish Poached Eggs with Cottage Cheese Recipe
- 16 ounces cottage cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup feta cheese room temperature
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-2 Tablespoons water as needed
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper
- 4-5 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar optional
- 2-4 large eggs
- Prepare the Cottage Cheese Spread: In a food processor, add the cottage cheese, feta cheese, and garlic cloves. Pulse until smooth. Add water as needed until a smooth consistency is achieved. Set aside.16 ounces cottage cheese, ¼ cup feta cheese, 2 garlic cloves, 1-2 Tablespoons water
- Create the Butter Drizzle: In a medium pot, add the butter, oil, and Aleppo pepper. Cook, until the butter is melted and the ingredients are combined, stirring occasionally. Set aside.4 Tablespoons salted butter, 2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper, ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Make Poached Eggs: Fill a large pot with water and a dash of white vinegar. Crack one egg into a fine mesh sieve, draining the whites. Stir the water to create a vortex, and gently place the egg in the center. Cook for 2-3 minutes or just until the whites are thickened and the yolks are firm. Using a slotted spoon, carefully lift the egg from the water, and set it on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat until all the eggs are poached.4-5 cups water, 1 Tablespoon white vinegar, 2-4 large eggs
- Assemble: Spread the cottage cheese mixture over a plate. Add the eggs on top. Drizzle the butter over the dish, and enjoy right away!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.