This Low-Carb Turkey Bell Pepper Sandwich is the perfect low-carb lunch you can whip up in minutes! Crisp bell peppers are stuffed with greens, cucumber, hummus, and turkey. Sliced in half, they’re nutritious, savory, and satisfying.
Table of Contents
- What Is a Bell Pepper Sandwich?
- Why This Will Be a Go-To Recipe
- What Goes Well on a Raw Bell Pepper?
- How Do You Cut Bell Peppers for Sandwiches?
- Elevate Your Sandwich Game with This Low-Carb Recipe
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Store
- Common Questions About This Low-Carb Turkey Bell Pepper Sandwich Recipe
- More Low-Carb Recipes to Try
- Low-Carb Turkey Bell Pepper Sandwich Recipe Recipe
What Is a Bell Pepper Sandwich?
A bell pepper sandwich is just what it sounds like! A light lunch or dinner, whole sweet bell peppers are used to replace the bread found in standard sandwich turkey sandwich recipes.
Then, they’re stuffed with all your favorite sandwich fillings and sliced in half. The result is an easy-to-hold, low-carb sandwich full of flavor and nutrients.
Why This Will Be a Go-To Recipe
If you haven’t jumped on the bell pepper sandwich train yet, you’ll understand the obsession after this version! This low-carb sandwich recipe is:
- Easy – With no cooking required, all you have to do is stuff your peppers and slice them in half!
- Nutritious – Every bite is bursting with vitamins, nutrients, fiber, protein, and healthy fats for a meal that will fill you up and leave you feeling great.
- Versatile – Anything goes! Mix and match all your favorite sandwich ingredients to satisfy every craving.
What Goes Well on a Raw Bell Pepper?
The better question is what doesn’t go well with a bell pepper? Seriously, these “sandwiches” are one of the most versatile recipes we’ve ever made.
That said, we kept the ingredient list simple with just a touch of Mediterranean-inspired flavor. Here’s what you need:
- Bell Pepper – We use red bell pepper, but any color will taste great. However, note that red, yellow, and green peppers have a sweeter flavor than their green counterparts.
- Hummus – We always have a batch of homemade hummus on hand, but store-bought varieties can also be used. Try experimenting with different flavors to find what you like best!
- Turkey – To save time, we opt for deli turkey slices, but smoked or shaved turkey also tasted incredible.
- Veggies – Lettuce leaves and cucumber slices add a pop of color and a little extra crunch. For the best taste and texture, we recommend using English or Persian cucumbers as they have a sweeter taste, smaller seeds, and thinner skin.
- Seasoning – Everything but the Bagel seasoning is the final touch to add extra flavor and elevate the dish from bland to bursting with savory flavor.
How Do You Cut Bell Peppers for Sandwiches?
Most people cut their peppers before adding the fillings, but we do things a little differently! First, we remove the seeds from the peppers.
Then, we stuff them full of all of our sandwich fillings. Finally, we slice them down the center, and you’ve got two halves ready to eat.
Elevate Your Sandwich Game with This Low-Carb Recipe
This recipe is perfect for hot summer days when you can’t be bothered to spend time in a hot kitchen because no cooking is required! Here’s what to do:
- Prepare the Peppers. Wash the bell pepper, and remove the top including the stem. Then, carefully remove the seeds and white membrane inside to form a hollow.
- Stuff. Spread the hummus evenly along the sides in the hollow of the pepper. Layer the turkey on top followed by the cucumbers. Then, stuff the lettuce leaves inside, and sprinkle the seasoning on top.
- Serve. Use a sharp knife to slice your bell pepper in half down the center, and enjoy right away!
There are endless ways to make a bell pepper sandwich. Anything goes!
However, if you need some inspiration, some of our favorite additional ingredients include:
- Cream Cheese
This low-carb turkey bell pepper sandwich pairs fabulously with all your favorite sides! Some great options include:
- Oven Roasted Parmesan Brussel Sprouts
- Fruit Salad
- Spiraled Cucumber Yogurt Salad
Air FryerPotato Nuggets
How to Store
This recipe is best enjoyed right away while the veggies are still bright and crisp. However, leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for one to two days.
Or, prepare bell peppers ahead of time, and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for three to four days. Then, all you have to do is add the stuffings, and you’re ready to eat!
Common Questions About This Low-Carb Turkey Bell Pepper Sandwich Recipe
Of course, we are not doctors or qualified professionals. If you have any specific questions or concerns, we highly recommend you consult your doctor. However, generally speaking, this bell pepper sandwich recipe is low-calorie, high-fiber, high-protein, and made with healthy fats. As a result, it can be a great option to help keep you full when incorporated into a well-balanced weight loss diet.
We don’t recommend roasting them as they’ll become too soft and mushy and won’t hold together to act as the bread well.
Yes! Use hollowed-out cucumber, zucchini, or wrap the filling with lettuce wraps instead.
More Low-Carb Recipes to Try
Looking for more low-carb recipes that keep you full? Try out more of our favorite options below!
- Low-Carb Baked
- Healthy Shrimp Scampi
- Egg Salad Recipe with Cottage Cheese
- Pizza Baked Chicken
Low-Carb Turkey Bell Pepper Sandwich Recipe
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 Tablespoon hummus
- 3 slices deli turkey
- 4 cucumber slices thinly sliced
- 1 lettuce leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon everything but the bagel seasoning
- Wash the red bell pepper thoroughly and cut off the top to remove the stem. Carefully remove the seeds and white membrane from the inside of the pepper to create a hollow space for the stuffing.1 red bell pepper
- Spread the hummus evenly inside the hollowed red bell pepper.1 Tablespoon hummus
- Layer the deli turkey slices inside the pepper on top of the hummus.3 slices deli turkey
- Add the thinly sliced cucumber over the turkey slices to create a refreshing crunch.4 cucumber slices
- Place the lettuce leaf on top of the cucumber slices to add some extra greens and texture.1 lettuce leaf
- Sprinkle the “everything but the bagel” seasoning over the stuffing to enhance the flavors and provide a tasty and crunchy finish.1/2 teaspoon everything but the bagel seasoning
- Once all the ingredients are layered inside the pepper, press down gently to secure the stuffing.
- With a sharp knife, carefully slice the stuffed red bell pepper down the middle, creating two halves.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.